Broad’tron vs BT-2S: how do they compare?

Discussion in 'The Pickup Place' started by sgarnett, Apr 21, 2020.

1. sgarnett

sgarnett Synchromatic

Apr 14, 2020
    Kentucky
    The Streamliner Broad’trons were replaced with an updated version, the BT-2S in recent models. How do they compare in specs, construction, sound ....?

BT-2S is not a valid search term ....

Jeff67 likes this.
  2. Jeff67

Jeff67 Country Gent

Nov 3, 2019
    Crockett, Texas
    That's exactly what I've been trying to find out. I was curious if they're the same internally as the PAF- style and sound like one, but with a blacktop filter'tron look, or are they a completely different animal in looks and tone? I've been waiting for months for some to come up on ebay, and finally a set came up there and a set on reverb at the same time. I bought both sets.;)

Also curious about this- both sets have the gold rings. Will the gold paint come off easily with nail polish remover? I'd like to paint them silver to match the chrome hardware on my 2622T.

3. sgarnett

sgarnett Synchromatic

Apr 14, 2020
    Kentucky
    @Jeff67 which do you have? I have the original Broad’trons.

The original Broad’tron and the BT-2S look identical installed, except for the BT-2S stamped on the top of the cover.

All of them that I’ve seen are chrome with black rings. The Blacktop Filtertrons do come in a gold version, but I think they are Filtertron-sized.

The Broad’trons are Gibson humbucker-sized, but I don’t think mine sound like a Gibson PAF at all (though certainly closer to it than the Filtertron recordings I’ve heard).

I know they were revoiced in the BT-2S version, but I don’t know how they changed.

4. Jeff67

Jeff67 Country Gent

Nov 3, 2019
    Crockett, Texas
    I'll try to get a pic tomorrow when I have some daylight. Can't seem to get a good shot in the house.

5. davenumber2

davenumber2 Gretschie

Nov 1, 2019
    Columbia, MO
    I have a set of BT-2S I'd be willing to sell cheap if anyone is interested in doing a comparison.

sgarnett likes this.
  6. Jeff67

Jeff67 Country Gent

Nov 3, 2019
    Crockett, Texas
    Ok, here's what I've got. G5220- style blacktop broad'tron on the left, Streamliner- stlye broad'tron on the right (non- BT-2S), and a blacktop filter'tron in the middle for comparison. 100_0044.JPG

7. jfassett

jfassett Synchromatic

Dec 9, 2017
    Tucson
    The gold rings are a good score! I tried for a long time to get a set for my 5220 and found them impossible to find

Jeff67 likes this.
  8. Jeff67

Jeff67 Country Gent

Nov 3, 2019
    Crockett, Texas
    They seem to be kinda scarce in any color. Both sets I bought have the gold rings, but I'd love to have a set of the silver ones for my 2622T.

jfassett likes this.
  9. Dyna

Dyna Electromatic

Nov 16, 2016
    Portland Or
    Hi! I am interested in the BT-2s set if you still have it.

10. Dyna

Dyna Electromatic

Nov 16, 2016
    Portland Or
    I wonder if those gold rings are off the GFS site? They have humbucker sized pickups rings that fit Filtertron size pickups. I used a set on some Gabojo Filtertron sized P90s on a Streamliner mod, and they fit better than the TV Jones rings for this project. The holes for the mounting screws were a perfect match. I was just on their website and saw that they have some Gretsch-style rings, too.

Attached Files:

Jeff67 likes this.
  11. Dyna

Dyna Electromatic

Nov 16, 2016
    Portland Or
    I have a 2018 Streamliner with the original Broad’tron, s, and one with the newer version, too. I can’t speak to the specs, but the BT-2Ss sound fuller to me, and less like a straight up humbucker than the v1.0 in the older Streamliner.

They really sound like more of a blend between a Filtertron and a humbucker, with more presence than v1.0, and more dynamic range. The brights are bright and they have nice bite, too. I like the enough that I replaced the one in the 2018 with one from my newer Streamliner that got and modded with different pickups. Still dialing in what sound to go with on that one, ad I might just put the BT-2s’s back.

Ultimately, I have single coil, Dearmond style pickups on most of my Gretsches and P90s on archtops. I have one 5420 with TV Jones. The BT-2S are less clean and crisp than the TV Jones, less twangy and boomy, but to my ear sound more like a humbuckery Dynasonic, with a lot of depth of presence that is missing in humbucking pickups if you are into single coils. These have it, and they gave me a different sonic palette at the same time. They are not muddy or dark at all.

ALS57 and sgarnett like this.
  12. davenumber2

davenumber2 Gretschie

Nov 1, 2019
    Columbia, MO
    Sorry, I sold the set a couple days ago.

13. jfassett

jfassett Synchromatic

Dec 9, 2017
    Tucson
    Tell me about those Gabojo P90’s, how good do they sound? They look good in the filtertron case!

14. Jeff67

Jeff67 Country Gent

Nov 3, 2019
    Crockett, Texas
    I've been curious about those, too. See 'em on ebay and reverb all the time.

jfassett likes this.
  15. Dyna

Dyna Electromatic

Nov 16, 2016
    Portland Or
    No worries, thanks!

16. Dyna

Dyna Electromatic

Nov 16, 2016
    Portland Or
    The Gabojos sound fabulous! They are by far my favorite pickups.

I have the humbucker sized Mr.2000HB on a G5120, the Ray-p (P90s) were in a 5420 but I just moved them to the Streamliner as I put the Filtertron-sized Dynasonic Mr.2000FTs on it. I also own a 5129 with the stock Dynasonics, so a fair amount to use for comparison.

All the Gabojos have a lot of presence, depth and clean up nicely and get dirty, too. The Tay-P’s are warmer than the Mr.2000FTs but about as much as the Mr.2000HB (Humbuckernsize).

The Mr.2000s are both incredibly versatile pickups that can go buttery smooth or really growl; they can carry Jazz, Blues, punk blues, John Lee Hooker to surf rock, twang to country.

The Ray-P P-90s are also great clean or dirty. I really loved them on the G5420 but I am still figuring out where the right setup is for the Streamliner. I did some recordings that I am I the process of uploading on YouTube, but I think I have them a bit too close to the strings on the Streamliner. They seem to have more power / volume than my other P90s although measured they are in a normal range for a modern P90. Dim with Gabojo modeled their tone, feel and sound off of a couple original P90s on a ‘50s Les Paul. Still, they sound more Gretch-ie on a Gretsch, and less like the P90s on my Gibson ES125 style clones or my Streamliner 2420 with the neck P90.

I’ll upload some videos and post some links. 0D2D47FD-E48B-4ABA-93AB-8A1CF606FAA0.jpeg 6DA95BEB-F3E4-40D6-B7F9-8F7014FF71AF.jpeg 48B4DC76-4D24-4AFA-B370-421EF7E3CD04.jpeg

Last edited: Apr 26, 2020
    jfassett likes this.
  17. BatmansGretsch

BatmansGretsch Gretschie

Dec 3, 2019
    Earth
    People were modding the BT neck humbucker by taking out screws (and it sounds better) so I am wondering if that tone is what inspired these B2s?

sgarnett and ALS57 like this.
  18. jfassett

jfassett Synchromatic

Dec 9, 2017
    Tucson
    Thanks for the review @Dyna
    Love to hear the recordings when you finish!

19. Dyna

Dyna Electromatic

Nov 16, 2016
    Portland Or
    Hello! Thank you for the trophy, kind sirs.

I finally finished uploading the videos to YouTube. That was painful! Mind you, these recordings are very home grown—not quite as bad as pulling out your double tape deck in 1986 and recording your first demo for the high school talent show—but close. Still, they will give you a picture of the sound of the different pickups through similar guitars with similar amp settings.

I organized the playlists with one larger one that has all the guitars and pickups, but I also creates some playlists of some of the same videos sorted by pickup type—in case you are only interested in hearing one specific type of pickup.

When recording, these videos are mostly of the same three songs so you can hear each guitar playing nearly the same stuff. I did a full loop of the rhythm and then played lead over it, so feel free to skip ahead if you want to get past laying of the rhythm loop. I tried to play through different neck positions and pickup settings.

I also added some late night sketches on a stock 2019 G2420 with Broad'tron BT-2Ss so you can hear how the new Broad’trons sound. These videos don’t have the same song materials or audio setup so they are not as much of an apples to apples comparison. They were just recorded on my phone sitting on the piano that I don’t know how to play but aspire to; and, these videos, especially, were never really meant to be anything but something to help me remeber some ideas—but there you have it.

I hope these are helpful!

Pickups comparison several guitars:
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL2RtVzhVfkhR9LHQ4Wpj6_nhOR2LjlkKW&feature=share

Gabojo Ray-P P90s on G2420:
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL2RtVzhVfkhSlDZZ7DqsmRgMcr9yrL4Co&feature=share

G5420 with Gabojo Mr.2000FT:
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL2RtVzhVfkhQbor2jzXZT-ETK99o-gpiY

G5420 with Gabojo Ray-P P90s:
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL2RtVzhVfkhTkYOFleLcIUuBvwNoWK91t

Last edited: Apr 27, 2020
  20. jfassett

jfassett Synchromatic

Dec 9, 2017
    Tucson
    @Dyna Thanks for all the time you put into that! I’m sure that was a lot of work, appreciate the time and effort!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.