Bright Humbucker Pickups

Discussion in 'The Pickup Place' started by chicago slim, Apr 14, 2021.

1. mr coffee

mr coffee Country Gent

Oct 7, 2009
    Houston
    They are humbucking, but dimensionally not the same as standard humbuckers. The other thing you need to know before deciding on something is string spacing.

-m

chicago slim likes this.
  2. AZBrahma

AZBrahma Gretschie

Dec 18, 2020
    Arizona
    Oh, another one I forgot about completely....the Lace Alumitone. In the regular guise they look weird and are susceptible to finger noise, but they now have cover options. Very unique and cool, nice and bright.

DennisC and chicago slim like this.
  3. drmilktruck

drmilktruck I Bleed Orange

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    I have two sets of those, I like them. There's an old You Tube video were a guy plays Strays Cats on a Les Paul with those pickups and it sounds very Setzer like.

chicago slim likes this.
  4. chicago slim

chicago slim Synchromatic

Dec 27, 2008
    Bowling Green, KY
    I put in an order for a set of Bootstrap Vintage Cleans, Uncovered Black/Black. I tend to cause my covered pickups to tarnish, pretty badly. I'm going with a low output alnico II (7.6 k) for the neck and alnico V (8.2 k) for the bridge. I'm hoping that this will give me the middle position sounds that I've been looking for. I might wire it to split only the neck pickup, always keeping the bridge in humbucking mode. They are made to order, so I am looking at a 4 to 6 week ship date. I'll report back, when I get them.

Thanks.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 15, 2021
    TubeLife and Pine Apple Slim like this.
  5. TubeLife

TubeLife Gretschie

Jan 23, 2020
    Chicagoland
    I just experimented with a magnet swap for a pair of Seymour Duncan 59’s PAF’s I had laying around. I put the original 59 pickups in an American Strat HH pickguard, and the bridge was way too bright and hard for my liking. Instead of purchasing new pickups I purchased new bar magnets for each pickup, $15

I put a UOA5 in the bridge and a A3 in the neck. Very satisfied with the result. I was ready to purchase the Bootstrap vintage PAF’s as well but I think I’m good to go with these!
    4D41CB1E-AA44-422B-9765-8B40AC00E6BE.jpeg

Last edited: Apr 15, 2021
    chicago slim likes this.
  6. chicago slim

Dec 27, 2008
    Bowling Green, KY
    Everyone probably thinks that it's strange, that I would ask for pickup advice for a PRS, on a Gretsch site. But, I play rockabilly, country and jazz. I've always loved that Gretsch sound and have played professionally for over 15 years. I'm now older and suffer from arthritis, driving me toward PRS necks.

Thanks again to everyone.

TubeLife likes this.
  7. chicago slim

Dec 27, 2008
    Bowling Green, KY
    UPDATE:

I'm still waiting for the Bootstrap pickups.

I've installed a set of Porter Gatekeepers. Low wind, low output (6.8k), alnico II for the neck and low output (7.8k), alnico V for the bridge. They sound very good. A little more full range, than my alnico II/alnico IV, PRS 85/15s pickups. Overall I'm very pleased with Porter Pickups.

[​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.