Bright Humbucker Pickups

Discussion in 'The Pickup Place' started by chicago slim, Apr 14, 2021.

1. chicago slim

chicago slim Synchromatic

Dec 27, 2008
    Bowling Green, KY
    Does anyone have experience with chimey sounding, full size humbuckers, that they would like to share?

I've had good luck with the more expensive TV Jones Classic and PRS Starla pickups. For cheaper pickups, I really liked some of the GFS Retrotrons. I found their Memphis pickups, that are supposed to be a Ric toaster type of sound, gave me more of Gretsch Filtertron type of sound, than their Nashville pickups.

I also liked their Dream 180's. It's marketed as a cross between a P90 and a Filtertron. Although it's a pretty hot pickup (8k -9k), I found that they were pretty bright and versatile.

What other pickups have the rest of you tried?

[​IMG]

2. juks

juks Gretschie

Nov 26, 2020
    Fremont, California
    Danelectro double lipstick humbucker I'd bright.

chicago slim likes this.
  3. AZBrahma

AZBrahma Gretschie

Dec 18, 2020
    Arizona
    Humbucker from Hell and EJ customs are bright HBs.

Henry and chicago slim like this.
  4. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    As Noted above DiMarzio EJ custom.

chicago slim likes this.
  5. drmilktruck

drmilktruck I Bleed Orange

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    I'll third the EJ DiMarzios. I have a set in my Warmoth Starcaster build and they're very nice, Gretsch-like.

IMG_5056.jpeg

Henry and chicago slim like this.
  6. HypotenusLuvTriangle

HypotenusLuvTriangle Country Gent

Oct 27, 2010
    Whittier, Ca
    chicago slim likes this.
  7. mr coffee

mr coffee Country Gent

Oct 7, 2009
    Houston
    It's funny, I used to get a lot of flack around the Gretsch circles for mentioning the EJs as a viable alternative to Gretschbuckers.

-m

michelb, drmilktruck and chicago slim like this.
  8. Sid Nitzerglobin

Sid Nitzerglobin Country Gent

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    The Bare Knuckle Black Dogs I put in my Burny LP are likely the brightest I've had.

The stock Burstbucker 3 in my Joan Jett Melody Maker was also pretty close in a more piercing/strident way.

chicago slim likes this.
  9. chicago slim

Dec 27, 2008
    Bowling Green, KY
    I've got Seymour Duncan Saturday Night Specials (Alnico IV's) in my Singlecut Semi. They sound great, even when split, but they sound like a vintage Gibson. I'm hoping for something more Gretsch like.

[​IMG]

10. Sid Nitzerglobin

Sid Nitzerglobin Country Gent

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    If we're including non-PAF style but still HB sized, I'd put the GFS Surf 90s, Lollar Novel-T, Supro Gold Foil HBs, or Danelectro Lipstick HBs from my Hodad on top of the brightness pile of what I've had. Some of the HB sized TVJs might be good options too if you're looking to stay "in the family" so to speak, but I've only tried the Powertron/Powertron + in that category.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2021
    chicago slim likes this.
  11. chicago slim

Dec 27, 2008
    Bowling Green, KY
    I've considered the GFS Surf 90's. I've played them in my old G3161 and liked them. Then I saw that they now make a Surf 180.

Also, I see that Bootstrap makes Vintage Cleans and allows you to select Alnico 2, 3, 4 or 5, magnets.

Sufr 180s
    [​IMG]

Sid Nitzerglobin likes this.
  12. Gretschmen65

Gretschmen65 Country Gent

May 20, 2016
    QLD Australia
    Keep watching the classifieds here. someone will change out un-used Blacktop Broadtrons.

You'll get them cheap and they would fit the bill IME.

drmilktruck and chicago slim like this.
  13. Pine Apple Slim

Pine Apple Slim Country Gent

Dec 14, 2011
    North Alabama
    I used to own an Epi Explorer that had surprisingly good sounding stock pickups.
    Brighter than you would expect from run of the mill Epiphone stock ceramic humbuckers. Sometimes you just get lucky.

Lollar Antiquities get a lot of love.
    Thats about all I got.

Do you have a particular guitar in mind?

chicago slim likes this.
  14. Pine Apple Slim

Dec 14, 2011
    North Alabama
    Good call. Also look out for the 5420 series Blacktops.
    I put a pair of those in my 5120 replacing the Gretschbuckers.
    Defiantly brightened it up.
    I think they were around $90 a pair on eBay, 3-4 years ago.

chicago slim likes this.
  15. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    The Seymour Duncan Hot Rodded Set are bright humbuckers.

https://www.seymourduncan.com/single-product/hot-rodded

chicago slim likes this.
  16. chicago slim

Dec 27, 2008
    Bowling Green, KY
    I'm a die hard PRS guy, but I'm not crazy about their pickups. It's for a S2 Custom 22, that comes with split able pickups, alnico 2 in the neck and alnico 4 in the bridge. Other alnico 2 pickups that I have had, sounded bright. Mine sounds dark, but the bridge pickup sounds good, both split and in the humbucker mode.

Another piece of the puzzle is, a single volume and tone control. I would like to have a bridge pickup, that can overpower the neck, in the middle position. I've adjusted the neck pickup lower, and the middle position sounds much better. I might go for more of a mismatch.

I'm used to Filtertron type pickups, in the middle position. I'm happy with the bridge, but both pickups together aren't doing it for me.

[​IMG]

17. Pine Apple Slim

Dec 14, 2011
    North Alabama
    In that nice PRS I wouldn't settle for just any old bargain pickup if I was gonna change it.
    I would just contact Lollar, TVJ, or somebody of that caliber and discuss it.
    I'm a big fan of Wilde. Bill Lawrence's family business, NOT, repeat, NOT Bill Lawrence USA. Awesome pickups, reasonable prices, and they wind to a wide variety of outputs.

chicago slim likes this.
  18. sgarnett

sgarnett Synchromatic

Apr 14, 2020
    Kentucky
    Both my PRS SE Singlecut Trem and Alvarez AS73 had pickups that were a bit overwound and thick. Lowering them and raising the poles helped noticeably.

chicago slim likes this.
  19. gretschbigsby

gretschbigsby Electromatic

Nov 21, 2009
    chicago
  20. Viking Power

Viking Power Gretschie

Jun 11, 2018
    Mountlake Terrace, WA
    Wait...TVJones Classics are humbuckers and not some sort of Filtertrons? Pardon my ignorance. I barely understand the difference between the single coils on my Stratocaster and the humbuckers on my buddy’s Les Paul. Just had TVJones classic and classic+ put in my Gretsch and didn’t know they were humbuckers.

chicago slim likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.