bridge TV to pair with a p90 neck?

Discussion in 'The Pickup Place' started by dmfp123, Jan 14, 2022 at 1:03 AM.

1. dmfp123

dmfp123 Electromatic

Nov 17, 2020
    kansas
    So I have a p90 less paul that I've always hated the bridge pickup in... or rather, I do everything to make the neck and middle sound good and when I do that the bridge just sounds weak, thin, anemic, etc

Wondering what you guys think a good bridge pickup for it would be? Thinking t-armond in a soapbar mount, solid body Eddie Cochran style, but not sure

Thanks!

2. Hammerhead

Hammerhead Gretschie

Dec 29, 2012
    Aberdeen
    new6659, Duo Slinger and dmfp123 like this.
  3. dmfp123

dmfp123 Electromatic

Nov 17, 2020
    kansas
    LOL dude I almost bought that exact tele today--american something something in miami blue, lol

Not so much worried about being bright... tone knobs exist but I definitely want something with more bass and output than the stock p90. Did you find the T had more bass & output?

4. Hammerhead

Hammerhead Gretschie

Dec 29, 2012
    Aberdeen
    The Tele is actually a surf green partscaster but that’s a different story. :)

I’d say the T-Armond is “full” with plenty of output but not sure I would call it bassy.

dmfp123 likes this.
  5. jvin248

jvin248 Electromatic

May 16, 2017
    Near Detroit

I'd keep the P90 bridge pickup (they and Tele bridge pickups are my favorites) and then mod the neck pickup.

I have an old 1970 MIJ LP clone fitted with humbucker-shaped bridge P90 and Dynasonic-style neck pickup. It's a fun mix.

6. BuddyHollywood

BuddyHollywood Gretschie

Sep 11, 2009
    Venice, CA
    Are your pickups height adjustable? If so, raise the bridge pickup and lower the neck pickup. If they are not buy a P90 shim from Lollar and place it under your bridge pickup.

I just placed a Dyna sized TV Jones Power'Tron Plus the bridge of my Duo Jet and it blends really well with the Dynasonic neck which I had rewound similar to T'Armond specs.

7. gretschbigsby

gretschbigsby Gretschie

Nov 21, 2009
    chicago
    I put a powertron in the bridge of my archtop with P90 in neck and its perfect. Had a setzer in there before that was overwhelmed by the P90.

dmfp123 likes this.
  8. dmfp123

dmfp123 Electromatic

Nov 17, 2020
    kansas
    I like the neck, though. It's a little bassy but still better than the bridge IMO

Yeah I've adjusted heights and it helped, but still not there

BuddyHollywood likes this.
  9. dmfp123

dmfp123 Electromatic

Nov 17, 2020
    kansas
    is it a gibson p90? they're a little hotter than some

10. gretschbigsby

gretschbigsby Gretschie

Nov 21, 2009
    chicago
    Its a late 40's slug P-90. Really a great combo and the more powerful filtertron creates a really nice middle position.

TV did a black custom cover with black screws, so it matches the Gibson P90 perfectly

11. jfassett

jfassett Synchromatic

Dec 9, 2017
    Tucson
    Can't view any of the links above... seems I'm the only one in the world without an Instagram account, ha!

12. Hammerhead

Hammerhead Gretschie

Dec 29, 2012
    Aberdeen
    Should be able to view without an account?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.