bridge TV to pair with a p90 neck?

dmfp123

Electromatic
Nov 17, 2020
kansas
So I have a p90 less paul that I've always hated the bridge pickup in... or rather, I do everything to make the neck and middle sound good and when I do that the bridge just sounds weak, thin, anemic, etc

Wondering what you guys think a good bridge pickup for it would be? Thinking t-armond in a soapbar mount, solid body Eddie Cochran style, but not sure

Thanks!

dmfp123

Electromatic
Nov 17, 2020
kansas
https://www.instagram.com/p/B_PKr6jDkle/?utm_medium=copy_link

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bz6OR-hHwdI/?utm_medium=copy_link

Here’s my LP with a T-Armond in the bridge.

I LOVE it, but beware, it’s really bright and twangy so may not be to everyone’s taste. Kind of Tele like.

LOL dude I almost bought that exact tele today--american something something in miami blue, lol

Not so much worried about being bright... tone knobs exist but I definitely want something with more bass and output than the stock p90. Did you find the T had more bass & output?

Hammerhead

Gretschie
Dec 29, 2012
Aberdeen
The Tele is actually a surf green partscaster but that’s a different story. :)

I’d say the T-Armond is “full” with plenty of output but not sure I would call it bassy.

jvin248

Gretschie
May 16, 2017
Near Detroit

I'd keep the P90 bridge pickup (they and Tele bridge pickups are my favorites) and then mod the neck pickup.

I have an old 1970 MIJ LP clone fitted with humbucker-shaped bridge P90 and Dynasonic-style neck pickup. It's a fun mix.

BuddyHollywood

Gretschie
Sep 11, 2009
Venice, CA
Are your pickups height adjustable? If so, raise the bridge pickup and lower the neck pickup. If they are not buy a P90 shim from Lollar and place it under your bridge pickup.

I just placed a Dyna sized TV Jones Power'Tron Plus the bridge of my Duo Jet and it blends really well with the Dynasonic neck which I had rewound similar to T'Armond specs.

dmfp123

Electromatic
Nov 17, 2020
kansas

I'd keep the P90 bridge pickup (they and Tele bridge pickups are my favorites) and then mod the neck pickup.

I have an old 1970 MIJ LP clone fitted with humbucker-shaped bridge P90 and Dynasonic-style neck pickup. It's a fun mix.

I like the neck, though. It's a little bassy but still better than the bridge IMO

Are your pickups height adjustable? If so, raise the bridge pickup and lower the neck pickup. If they are not buy a P90 shim from Lollar and place it under your bridge pickup.

Yeah I've adjusted heights and it helped, but still not there

gretschbigsby

Gretschie
Nov 21, 2009
chicago
Its a late 40's slug P-90. Really a great combo and the more powerful filtertron creates a really nice middle position.

TV did a black custom cover with black screws, so it matches the Gibson P90 perfectly

Tele295

Country Gent
Jun 4, 2008
Bigsby Springs, CA