bridge replacement on Gretsch G6119T Tennessee

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by tremolux, Dec 1, 2020.

1. tremolux

tremolux Electromatic

Dec 1, 2020
    Germany
    Im about to buy a:
    Gretsch G6119T Players Edition Tennessee Rose

Im just a little concerned about the rocking bridge.
    If im not happy with the intonation (im picky about that...)
    would it be possible to replace the bridge with a
    Gretsch Nickel-Ebony Adjusto-Matic II Bridge?

(like the one on the Brian Setzer model)

From the fingerboard radius this should fit (Fingerboard Radius 12" )
    Im just concerned because the rocking bridge on the G6119T seems to be "pinned".

You think I can leave the ebony base and just replace the bridge?
    Anyone has got some experience with this?

Ofc I will try it first...and maybe im totally happy with the rocking bar (soundwise it should be good),
    but since I will order the guitar from a shop, I want to consider the replacement possibility before I
    place my order.

thanks for any advice about this topic!

2. rcboals

rcboals Country Gent

Nov 21, 2008
    Springfield Oregon
    Been there done that many many mnay times. The Gretsch tunomatic style bridges are the worst just cheap not machined, we call them rattlematics. Save yourself some money get the Gotoh Nashville G103B . They can be had for under $30.00 all day long. They are machined and should drop right onto your Gretsch base.

tremolux likes this.
  3. tremolux

tremolux Electromatic

Dec 1, 2020
    Germany
    Thanks @rcboals for that tip with the Gotoh Nashville G103B.
    So that bridge would fit on the bolts of the original ebony base?
    74mm spacing. 4mm bolts - as far as I can see.

4. GAMBLER1234

GAMBLER1234 Gretschie

Jan 18, 2018
    Henderson Nevada
    Have you thought about going with a used pre players edition. You'd save money, it's got the Adjust-Omatic bridge which has given me zero problems and you'd also get the ebony fret board. Either way it's one heck of a guitar and I'm betting you're gonna love it as much as I do mine.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 2, 2020
    tremolux likes this.
  5. AllenK

AllenK Gretschie

If you like the look and feel of the bar bridge then Tru-arc, Compton or dBridge all have good reviews on the forum and report near to or perfect intonation.

I put an ABM 2400 roller bridge on a 5622. It simply dropped in place. The 5622 has a secured base as opposed to pinned but should be similar. The ABM has a pretty good range of adjustment for post width as it uses screws to finally fix in place. The replacement wasn't because of intonation problems but rattle and also excessive string breakage compared with other guitars I have owned (think it might be a combination of the tension bar Bigsby and original TOM bridge). Both rattle and string breakage have markedly reduced and it significantly improved the overall sound, particularly in the tightness and definition of the base frequencies. Intonation was spot on by the tuner. Not a cheap option but worth it on a 6119 if you want this sort of bridge.

tremolux likes this.
  6. rcboals

rcboals Country Gent

Nov 21, 2008
    Springfield Oregon
    Shouldn't be a problem they have fit on every Gretsch stock base I have put them on. Currently on my Black Phoenix. Stud spacing is 2 29/32"(74mm) and String spacing is 2 1/16"(52mm
    I also own 6119FT 62 but have a truarc bar bridge on it the intonation is ok but not anywhere as close as you can get with G103B.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 2, 2020
    tremolux likes this.
  7. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Yes and do it!

tremolux likes this.
  8. tremolux

tremolux Electromatic

Dec 1, 2020
    Germany
    thanks a lot for the replies!
    Its good to know, that there is options for an easy, reversable bridge replacement.

About me and Gretsch:
    Four years ago I went into a big music shop and wanted to buy a Korea Gretsch ( the mid price series).
    But after hours of testing I left the shop with a Guild SF4 :p
    I still play and like the Guild, it gives a nice Semi Acoustic sound - but its more into the typical humbucker area.
    Ofc thats not the Gretsch sound...
    and a Gretsch guitar didnt get removed from my wishlist.
    I do play some studio sessions/recordings and sometimes Im missing that Gretsch sound.
    Seeing Mateus Asato and Tori Kelly with their Gretsch guitars might also have played a role in this process :D

I still remember playing the Gretsch guitars I in the shop and I think the
    G6119T might suite me well.
    I like the sound of the High Sensitive FilterTron - as far as I can tell from youtube comparisons.
    I like the color and chrom hardware, the locking tuners, the upgrades that the "players series" comes with.
    The shop offers a 30 day trial ... so I guess its time to spend the saved x-mas money :)

Last edited: Dec 3, 2020
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.