Bridge pickup (blacktop) thin and weedy

Discussion in 'The Pickup Place' started by Alanqa, Jul 4, 2020.

1. Alanqa

Alanqa Gretschie

Aug 22, 2019
    Lancashire UK
    I was playing my Jet the other day and noticed a substantial difference in volume and depth between pickups.

Ok I have modded it several times but never had this problem before. Last time I replaced the individual volumes and added treble bleeds to both.

The Treble bleeds seem to work fine but there is no power anymore to the bridge pickup.

Any suggestions as to what to look for?

2. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Hi @Alanqa ,

If you have first checked that the problem comes from the guitar and not the rest, then I personally would look for an intermittent, loose poor contact or short in your wiring - more or less hidden :mad: - affecting the bridge PU.

With the guitar plugged in an amp, pry the wires, push-pull on them, check the pot lugs possibly touching a GND, check the PU selector wiring for shorts or cuts... Etc... Listen if it changes something in tone, and you'll probably flush the issue out.

But it's me, OK ? :D;)

A+!

Last edited: Jul 4, 2020
    pmac11 likes this.
  3. Alanqa

Alanqa Gretschie

Aug 22, 2019
    Lancashire UK
    Hi hcsterg That’s good advice.

The neck pickup is thick and meaty so I suspect that eliminates anything outside the guitar.

I will get a magnifying glass and a multimeter on the wires between pickup, volume pots and switch. I was more concerned that there could be something wrong with the pickup itself. It could be a dodgy volume pot but as it was a new CTS hopefully it’s not that.

4. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    I had an intermittent pickup on a Synchro Sparkle Jet. Granted it was an entry level guitar, but you'd think they'd at least get the wires soldered on correctly. Every thing "looked" good, but, wiggling the wires at the switch showed the bad solder joint on one wire. They had stuck a wire in the hole of the switch, and just dropped a gob or solder on. Lazy. You really need to make a mechanical connection first---bend the wire and wrap it tight---before soldering. Simple---you'd think. Check ALL of the connections. Trust no one.

YouFellowRebels and pmac11 like this.
  5. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Good :cool: ! Don't forget the live tone / signal-tracing test I mentioned in my previous post : it is often useful when the issue is invisible to locate and troubleshoot it... ;)

A+!

6. Alanqa

Alanqa Gretschie

Aug 22, 2019
    Lancashire UK
    Turned out the switch was failing. I unscrewed it to have a closer look and it literally fell into 3 pieces. I replaced it and the problem has gone away.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.