Brass Bridge Advice (Acoustic)

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by Freshy, Jun 25, 2021.

1. Freshy

Freshy Synchromatic

Sep 30, 2017
    Homosassa FLA
    TSims had a thread about his new Martin that morphed into a discussion about the advantages of brass bridge pins. Ive always liked the effect of brass bridge pins and decided to drop in a brass bridge on my Epiphone Hummingbird that I leave tuned down to D.
    Took the brass bridge to my luthier today. He convinced me to not install it. He said my guitar will sound terrible with this mod. Way too much treble. I was looking for better highs. I feel when you tune down to D you lose some highs. He is convinced I would lose all the warmth and fullness and sound like a bad Telecaster. He said he has replaced brass bridges.
    Has anyone else had any experience with brass? Any luthier care to chime in?

2. I had a brass bridge maxed for me from the Compton co. It was for a acoustic baritone i had. The piezo that came with it dint pick up all the strings as well as i would have liked. The brass made a difference, as it was a brighter sound than the plastic or bone saddle it came with. But the guitar eventually had to go because no matter what i did the low strings were always way louder than the high, even with the brass. If you can make the swap easily and not alter the guitar, why not? Maybe even other metals.

Freshy likes this.
  3. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Try it. Easy enough to change it back if you don't like it.
    You can also use bone instead the stock plastic.

Freshy likes this.
  4. Ricochet

Ricochet Senior Gretsch-Talker

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    When I found myself in a bind with no guitarshops within a 6 hour drive radius I used a bicycle spoke cut to size as a makeshift saddle. The guitar never sounded better, to me.

mr coffee and Freshy like this.
  5. old mark

old mark Gretschie

May 27, 2013
    Fabulous Hatboro, PA
    Have "improved" guitars using brass or bone or aluminum bridges and saddles. Found it made very little difference, cost money better spent elsewhere.

Freshy likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.