Brandi Carlile killed it on SNL (Gretsch question)

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by MisterKim, Oct 24, 2021.

1. MisterKim

MisterKim Electromatic

Sep 2, 2021
    Redmond, WA
    I was blown away last night by another Gretsch-wielding female phenom. I did not know that Ms. Carlile rocks the Gretsch. And this is apparently not her only one. I found a listing showing her playing a Gretsch G6119-1962FT Chet Atkins Tennessee Rose.

I'm not entirely sure what she's playing here on SNL, but it looks a lot like a G6120T Brian Setzer Signature Nashville '59. Makes me want one of those even more. I really am not particularly Gretsch guitar knowledgeable. I like mine, but you know, entry level. Can any of you kids determine what she is playing based on the available view?

Brandi Carlile's performance was one of the best I've seen on SNL in a long time (her quality backup certainly helped considerably). I really can't recall one that I would call better. I did love St. Vincent, but that was a totally different experience. Equal parts performance art and musicianship.

NJDevil, TubeLife, section2 and 4 others like this.
  2. scrimmer

scrimmer Gretschie

Apr 6, 2019
    North Carolina
    Wow! She totally KILLED IT right there. That was one of the best, if not the best performances I've seen on SNL in a long time.
    Like the look of confidence in her at the end, you can see she KNOWS she killed it. That's a great feeling.
    I also caught the St. Vincent performance earlier in the year and would totally agree on your assessment.
    I'm not expert enough to verify the guitar, but I would have to also say it's probably the G6120 you cited.

section2 likes this.
  3. oneforsorrow

oneforsorrow Synchromatic

May 15, 2020
    Iowa
    And the Maggie's in the back.

4. MisterKim

MisterKim Electromatic

Sep 2, 2021
    Redmond, WA
    Please forgive my ignorance. Not sure what/who the "Maggie" is.

5. Gretschzilla

Gretschzilla Gretschie

Apr 20, 2021
    Saint Paul, MN USA
    It looks exactly like my Setzer ‘59 Smoke but I can’t make out whether or not the pick guard has his signature. Also can’t see if the truss rod cover just above the nut says ‘Brian Setzer’ on it. And I’m feeling lazy, so I probably won’t put any more effort to figuring this out.

6. Hickeroar

Hickeroar Gretschie

Oct 4, 2020
    Texas
    Sadly her guitar is so low in the mix you can barely hear it for most of the song. :(

Her voice is awesome, and her pitch is perfect, which is more than I can say for most "professional musicians" these days.

7. j.s.c

j.s.c Country Gent

Aug 19, 2008
    france
    Aïe Outch, It looks to me like a legit 59-early 60 true vintage 6120. Because of thin f holes, G headstock logo position (lower than reissues), warped tuss rod cover... Of course I'm not absolutely sure of that, but I guess this is the real thing there.

8. MisterKim

MisterKim Electromatic

Sep 2, 2021
    Redmond, WA
    I wondered about that. I wouldn't be surprised.

9. MisterKim

MisterKim Electromatic

Sep 2, 2021
    Redmond, WA
    That's true about the mix. The lead guitar stands out much more clearly, but really, all things considered, for SNL, that was a pretty decent mix job. You could completely understand practically every word. I've seen a few nearly unwatchable, indecipherable performances on that show.

section2 and Hickeroar like this.
  10. Andy Fortune

Andy Fortune Gretschie

May 24, 2016
    Corning, NY
    She definitely killed it, and the Hanseroth twins have perfect harmony vocals with her.

section2 likes this.
  11. oneforsorrow

May 15, 2020
    Iowa
    There's a pair of Magnatone amps (I believe the Varsity) in front of the drummer on the kit (rear stage right). It looks like she's running through one of them with an attenuator -- perhaps the second is a spare of maybe she runs one cranked and the other clean?

12. MisterKim

MisterKim Electromatic

Sep 2, 2021
    Redmond, WA

Ah. Thanks. Truly ignorant about any and all technical details.

13. oneforsorrow

May 15, 2020
    Iowa
    They stood out to me because I’ve got one and it’s like when you notice all the people driving the same car as you right after you got the car.

MisterKim likes this.
  14. MisterKim

MisterKim Electromatic

Sep 2, 2021
    Redmond, WA
    Just noticed there was another thread on this very topic. Sorry about that.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.