Brain Setzer Smoke

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by bopcat, Sep 15, 2021.

1. knavel

knavel Country Gent

Dec 26, 2009
    London, England
    When I read your post I thought how I wasn't aware there was a black version of "Smoke". Even better than orange (to me). It took me a little work to find the black version though as it's not a "Smoke" model. I wondered why the difference of $500 in price between the two. From the spec sheet, as far as I can tell the Smoke has the Ray Butts pickups and the black one has BS signature--both have compound radius and nitro finish.

Surely just different pickups can't amount to that much of a price difference?

Stefan87 and Rusty Chops like this.
  2. Stefan87

Stefan87 Country Gent

May 20, 2019
    Brisbane, Australia
    I would say the black setzer model is the sister version of the 6120 flame maple setzer model, not the smoke, the body of those two 6120s are 2.75' where the smoke is 2.5 so a bit of difference there too, other then that I would only be speculating as for the price differnece.

Craig Encinitas and Rusty Chops like this.
  3. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    Because the can.

And it's worth it IMO.

4. knavel

knavel Country Gent

Dec 26, 2009
    London, England
    Thanks. I always thought I'd only ever like anything that matched in specification to a 1959, but I found via "Smoke" that I do actually prefer 2.5''. (I have a 1961 and I think that's 2'' which I feel is too thin.)

But I don't see how a thinner body and slightly different TVJ pickups = $500 less.

I should also add that the price on "Smoke" went up $200 or $300 a few months ago. When I got mine it was $3300 or $3400 list. (I bought mine on a (very) "scratch & dent" basis so I don't recall exactly what list was then).

Craig Encinitas and Rusty Chops like this.
  5. Stefan87

Stefan87 Country Gent

May 20, 2019
    Brisbane, Australia
    Yeah I can't see the difference off price on paper either personally but haven't played either so can't comment I guess.

I totally agree with the body widths, my 6120 and 6119 are both 2.75 bodies but recently got a 6118 which is 2.5' and that little bit does make a difference in comfort and yes 2' does seem a bit to thin to me too.

I would love to try a smoke out but the prices put them out of reach for me, have also put off trying one for the reason that I will most likely end up wanting it lol.

Craig Encinitas and G5422T like this.
  6. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    I solved the body depth comfort problem.

Got rid of my "pork belly." Any depth feels fine now.

Craig Encinitas, new6659 and Stefan87 like this.
  7. sgarnett

sgarnett Synchromatic

Apr 14, 2020
    Kentucky
    I have a titanium Tru-Arc Serpentune on mine.

Craig Encinitas and audept like this.
  8. Gretschzilla

Gretschzilla Gretschie

Apr 20, 2021
    Saint Paul, MN USA
    I paid $3,291.25 from Sweetwater for my Smoke on July 5, 2021. At the time list was $3,399 so I didn’t get a big discount.

I ordered a Fender Tone Master Twin Reverb Blonde and some other stuff on the same order; much bigger discounts on those items (amp was $932 vs list of $1099).

They did not discount the guitar much at all. They got 3 Smokes in stock at the same time and all sold within 3 days.

I’m loving my Smoke. Didn’t get to play today. I’ll make up for that tomorrow.

Craig Encinitas likes this.
  9. bopcat

bopcat Electromatic

Sep 9, 2010
    uk
    The neck is wonderful, it was not brilliant before the set up but now it is so smooth and fast...Im really pleased with the guitar ...gigs soon !!!!!

10. slickfaster

slickfaster Country Gent

Dec 29, 2009
    USA
    Can Any you lucky Smoke owners compare neck profile to a newer BSHR??
    Thanks

11. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    Sandy Eggo
    Like a super lazy V that starts moving toward an even lazier C? Both my 99' 6120SSU and 6120SH have soft V w a nice round over

slickfaster likes this.
  12. sgarnett

sgarnett Synchromatic

Apr 14, 2020
    Kentucky
    It might not have occurred to
    me to describe the Smoke neck as a V if I didn’t know beforehand. It’s there, but subtle. The bound fretboard edges are also nicely rounded. It’s my favorite neck now.

I do agree with @TV the Wired Turtle’s past comments that authentic stainless 6105 frets would have been nice. Oh well, it still feels great.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.