Bracing on normal 6120's vs. "1959 Trestle" bracing

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by Whiskeyneck, Aug 27, 2011.

1. Whiskeyneck

Whiskeyneck Electromatic

Aug 27, 2011
    Heartland
    I had posted in the new user section as well, but thought I might get a better, perhaps quicker response here.

I'm interested in picking up my first Gretsch, and I know I'd like to get a 6120. I've noticed the current 6120 (plain, basic model) has a depth of 2.5 versus the Setzer 2.75, and the Setzer's also have the 59 Trestle bracing. My main questions would be: 1- what bracing does the plain Nashville have, and how does it compare to the 59 Trestle bracing? 2- How is feedback issue with plain Nashville? I play a lot of blues and rock (Black Crowes/Zep-ish type sounds), and I want the feedback potential of a hollowbody, without the sometimes uncontrollable wail that lots of Gibson's have.

I know the Setzer's get more attention in production, and should for the price they command. However, if some of you folks could kindly hip me to any significant key differences in the 2 Nashvilles, I would greatly appreciate it. In fact, that's why I joined- I couldn't find straight answers elsewhere.

Thanks to all, and peace!
    -WN

2. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    If it helps Setzer uses his older Candy apple red and purple hotrods with the tonepost even though he now sez he favors the trestle bracing.

I own both a tonepost SSU and a trestle SSLVO. I feel my tonepost rocks better but that may be from the slightly thicker top. The tonepost has dual tone rails running across the
    top of the guitar on each side of the pkup route with a single post coupling the top and back near the bridge base.

There is more wood in the trestle braced SSVLO with longer sustain and a bit more jangle.. Trestle rock more, tonepost models have more growl in the low mids.

Sounds like your application is trestles not tonepost.. you might also swap your bridge classic filtertron for a classic plus.. you'd be money with that.

here is what the trestles look like inside
    [​IMG]

ps. you might even like the gretsch 125th jag tan anniversary as it has even more rock n roll vibe with ML bracing and pwr trons, here's that
    [​IMG]

3. Whiskeyneck

Whiskeyneck Electromatic

Aug 27, 2011
    Heartland
    Perfect!

Thank you so much for these screen shots. If you would be kind enough to explain a couple things:

1. The bottom image shows both the traditional tone post- one single block that bridges the treble and bass tone rails, correct? the "ML" bracing you describe is the bracing along the edge, correct?

2. The trestle bracing looks like there is a total of 4 tone posts, 2 per piece, which are connected to the tone rails. The rails here run the whole distance as well, it looks like, from end block to neck block. Is that a correct definition?

3. In your experience, does either approach have distinct feedback pros and cons over the other, or are they about the same?

Many thanks- have read a lot of your posts since joining up. I appreciate the chance to learn!

B

4. TV the Wired Turtle

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    The trestle bracing is a total of 4 posts true
    [​IMG]
    BUT they are intrinsic to each arch. The ML is a hybrid of the trestle.
    [​IMG]
    regardless all of them have a rail on each side of the pickup route.

regarding feedback.. you may be seeing feedback as a negative.. A gretsch guitar has controlled feedback particularly with a bigsby. When you are playing through an open back combo quite often feedback can be overwhelming at volume because the top and back of the guitar are too often in parallel with the cab of the combo.. playing with the butt of the guitar to the face of the cab usually alleviates this... Having said that any gretsch that employs trestle bracing versus the simple single tonepost model will have even more subdued feedback response.

5. MattDavis

MattDavis Electromatic

Jul 30, 2011
    Australia
    What does bracing do? Stop feedback and reinforce the guitar? So what are the different types and what do they do?

trying to learn as much about these beautys as I can now!

6. TV the Wired Turtle

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    As it goes with modern gretsch guitars, say mid 90s to now.. we have had the tone post. Then when Mike Lewis scanned a 59' gretsch, there began a move to return to the 1959 trestle style of bracing.. the latest design is the ML bracing you see in the photo above which is a stylized version of the trestle bracing.

Feedback in hollowbody guitars that do not have at least one tone post connecting the front to the back (so they vibrate in sync with eachother) are the guilty party for feedback as a negative connotation.. just as say non wax potted pickups are the usual suspects for squealing and microphonics.

If you take the 6120RHH Rev horton heat model as the first example, this guitar has a very thin 3 ply top and a tone post, not trestles per Jim's specs.. Jim plays through two fender amps (recently with gretsch amps) at the same time quite loud and often with an overdrive for some of his older tunes.. You dont see him worrying about feedback too much. The design of the tonepost model is great.. If Jim wanted controlled feedback he could walk back to the front of the open back cab and position the body of the guitar in parallel with the fholes facing the speakers to have the effect.. but thats intentional..

Trestle braces gretsches are obviously much more resistant to feedback and I would surely say its the better choice if you are going to be playing loud with lots of overdrive and long decaying delay effects.. Again, its all in how you control it..

[​IMG]

7. ishtar

ishtar Country Gent

Thanks for this info, you guys. I've wondered about this for a long time... Missed it if it was covered in other threads..

8. Whiskeyneck

Whiskeyneck Electromatic

Aug 27, 2011
    Heartland
    By the way, Tavo- checked out your site, as I wondered if you were the "brains" behind the Brain Seltzer I saw on YouTube a while back. It would appear so. And I really dug the tunes- a lot.

I really appreciate the amount of info, and the disspelling of bad info with what you've posted here. To be honest- I want the HB for the very reason that I want feedback ability at my command, and your post here has given me the info I need to take care of business.

So, I have to ask- I didn't readily find your gear setup for your recordings. I'm guessing a Bassman, your preamps, and perhaps a Hot Rod, from what I've read here? Peace, and thanks again. Truly.

9. TV the Wired Turtle

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    here are a couple of shots from the inside of my 99' SSU.. the tonepost starts with a flare on the back of the guitar and rests on a small rectangular piece glued to the top.. you can then see the thin tone rails along side.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Wayne Gretschzky

Wayne Gretschzky Country Gent

Aug 27, 2008
    East Coast
    Great questions and even greater answers!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.