Boy did I have a sound dialed in yesterday!

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by Pine Apple Slim, Mar 3, 2021.

1. Pine Apple Slim

Pine Apple Slim Country Gent

Dec 14, 2011
    North Alabama
    This was as glorious a "clean" sound as I've ever put together. Falcon>bit o comp, Det Casket>Carr and Bassman, with all the wet(El Pescadoro/Mystery Brain/Tremolo) thru the Bassman and Cali 15.
    The Carr was set to triode mode for a bit of earlier breakup. Hated to waste its fine spring reverb and tremolo but wanted a true wet/dry set up so I turned those off. I wanted to try all the wet signal thru the big clean Bassman which worked better than i ever imagined.
    The Detroit Casket/Fluid Drive is like the perfect "transparent" OD. Took me a while to get used to it but now I cant live without it. I haven't played a Timmy, but I imagine this pedal is very similar. With the Falcons master vol rolled back to around 7, I was going from almost pristine clean to considerable grit just by how hard I hit the strings.
    The El Pescadoro verb on a dark "subterranean" setting sounds otherworldly. Not outer space otherworldly, more like Mordor's basement otherworldly.
    As much as I love the preamps on the El Pesc and Mystery Brain, I had to turn them off for this set up and just use the Casket for some grit. The whole rig was just too bright and spanky with those engaged. I was even using the darkest setting on the Falcons mud switch quite often to tame some of the transients.
    I looped 3 chords with a D string drone, D, E, &A. Then played D Lydian for like a hour.

My how the time flies when your having fun.

Henry, Andrew Griffin, audept and 4 others like this.
  2. BFTmarshall

BFTmarshall Synchromatic

Jan 12, 2020
    York
    So nice when that happens. Key thing i have learned... once there...leave it. soon as i start messing..can lose it forever. Most my amps have not changed settings in years once dialed in. Fun fun stuff..enjoy

MotorCentaur likes this.
  3. ruger9

ruger9 Country Gent

Nov 1, 2008
    NJ
    I love those days. So damn frustrating when you come back the next day, everything is the same, but it doesn't sound or feel the same. What changed? The humidity? The barometric pressure? The electromagnetic signature of my soul? LOL

Stefan87, new6659, MrWookiee and 3 others like this.
  4. wabash slim

wabash slim I Bleed Orange

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Sadly, it seems that when this happens to me, nothing ever sounds the same the next day. It's gotta be due to changes in the weather or gremlins or some such.

Stefan87, Duo Slinger and new6659 like this.
  5. Bob Perrone

Bob Perrone Gretschie

Mar 7, 2017
    allentown, pa
    different weed? LOL

6. Duo Slinger

Duo Slinger Synchromatic

Sep 11, 2020
    California, USA
    Yeah... I've tried to make a habit of writing down the combination whenever I hit the sweet spot.

wabash slim likes this.
  7. Fasteddie42

Fasteddie42 Gretschie

Sep 18, 2018
    tip of the mitt
    pairing an ebony fretboard with indica creates a warmer tone..

MotorCentaur likes this.
  8. capnhiho

capnhiho Country Gent

Feb 16, 2013
    California
    That’s a much better idea than trusting your memory.....

Duo Slinger likes this.
  9. Duo Slinger

Duo Slinger Synchromatic

Sep 11, 2020
    California, USA
    Agreed. Mine is pretty full with old essays and exams anxieties.

10. new6659

new6659 Country Gent

I often find this to be a problem - everything is exactly the same but the tone has changed:eek:o_O

ruger9 likes this.
  11. Andrew Griffin

Andrew Griffin Synchromatic

Oct 22, 2015
    I love posts that talk about playing these instruments more than the ones about buying more of them ( partly because I usually want to buy a new guitar and need to be reminded to play them.) I had a similar experience with my 5191 plying through an acoustic amp- I was surprised to hear the tone I'd been looking for and played for a long time, enjoying every minute of it.

12. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Awesome, how is it today?

13. Shadowy_Man

Shadowy_Man Gretschie

May 18, 2020
    Chicago
    I think it's just the ears. I've had this happen too, even with digital gear that you know isn't going to be affected by tubes getting warmed up and such.

new6659 likes this.
  14. SAguitar

SAguitar Synchromatic

Jan 17, 2020
    Jack Plate, Oregon
    I agree. The whole hearing thing is very subjective.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.