Bought Powertrons, Bridge pup is awful. Normal?

Discussion in 'Electromatic Gretsch Forum' started by kbcarroll, Oct 14, 2021.

1. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    I would use the TVJ wiring rather than stock if they are different and I believe they are. If the original wiring had the muting issue then you need a new schematic. That happens on my electromatic but not any of my 3 prolines. that may solve your bridge tone issue as well.

Craig Encinitas likes this.
  2. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Friend of Fred

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
  3. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    I'll have to look them up.

BTW - I get a bit of shelving myself on my 6128 and I have everything exactly to spec per the TVJ wiring diagram. Volume is pretty smooth on individual pickups, but when blended, I can definitely hear the one pickup kick in as I turn it up.

However, I did look on 920d and they say:

"Lastly, our pots utilize a 10% audio taper so that your volume or tone sweep can be slightly shorter. This allows for a faster sweep but still maintain plenty of control to fine tune your sound."

I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it but I also have a custom taper on my pots but not sure if it's steeper or not. I'm thinking about subbing in some Tocos pots on my 6128 to see if that changes the behavior.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2021
  4. wildeman

wildeman I Bleed Orange

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Unsolder the pickup from the harness and solder it right to a jack, then you'll know if its in the harness.

Ricochet and MyGirlGretta like this.
  5. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    And by doing that, you will change the impedance of the circuit significantly - I would expect an audible difference even with a known good harness.

6. kbcarroll

kbcarroll Electromatic

Nov 4, 2010
    Nashville, TN
    1. Measured impedance with this harness, aligns perfectly with TV's spec (5k neck, 7.7k bridge).

2. Compared this harness to the TV jones "tone pot" harness (https://tvjones.com/tone-pot-harness/) and it's identical except for a treble bleed added to the master vol pot. Would not explain why the neck pickup has plenty of top end clarity but bridge does not, though

3. Pickups are quick-connect and I'd rather not butcher that to test a theory :(

Attached Files:

7. wildeman

wildeman I Bleed Orange

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    It will tell you if the pickup is something you can work with or not, if it sounds good pure then you can tweak your components to taste. It works for me.
    Nevermind.....

Mr Twangy likes this.
  8. kbcarroll

kbcarroll Electromatic

Nov 4, 2010
    Nashville, TN
    thinking of just doing a 2 pot wiring setup, master volume and master tone. Anyone got a diagram for that? I'm having a bear of a time finding one!

9. BuddyHollywood

BuddyHollywood Gretschie

Sep 11, 2009
    Venice, CA
    A bridge Power'Tron is my favorite TV Jones Filtertron style pickup.

xtcclassic likes this.
  10. kbcarroll

kbcarroll Electromatic

Nov 4, 2010
    Nashville, TN
    Wanna buy one in gold? Or the set? I'm learning the powertrons are just too dark and middy for me. Probably gonna just get some classics.

BuddyHollywood likes this.
  11. Stefan87

Stefan87 Country Gent

May 20, 2019
    Brisbane, Australia
    if they were chrome or nickel i would've been keen on that offer.
    sorey to hear they are not to your liking.

kbcarroll likes this.
  12. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Gretschified

Oct 18, 2015
    Germany
    I have a factory-stock Powertron in my 6119 bridge-position and it sounds absolutely smashing. Great hights, mids and lows. No problem at all. One of the nicest pickups in my book.

Craig Encinitas and Ricochet like this.
  13. Outlaw

Outlaw Country Gent

Jul 13, 2011
    UK
    Follow this minus the jack socket
    circuit_hotrod.jpg
    Then add the tone pot and jack socket as in this
    circuit_tonepot.jpg
    I have done it in this guitar and it works fine
    IMG_20210912_103403_edit_249678198777005.jpg

Last edited: Oct 31, 2021
  14. dokterbart

dokterbart Electromatic

Aug 9, 2021
    Amsterdam
    Just one thing: you told the neck PU was exactly what you wanted. Your bridge PU is not Powertron but Powertron Plus, especially made for ZZTop gitarist, supposed tot have more heavy sound. Just a normal powertron on the bridge could help you out. If you having too much mid tones with a normal powertron there, then you could move to classiic/classic plus.

Craig Encinitas likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.