Bought a crockpot, should have got instapot...

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by 5120mantis, May 5, 2020.

1. 5120mantis

5120mantis Country Gent

Mar 6, 2011
    nj
    Ol, i dig the crock pot, didnt know about instapot.
    Ill rectify that eventually.
    Who got some recepies.
    Did pork chops yesterday, chilli today.
    Chicken and pot roast recipies welcome!

2. Wozob

Wozob Country Gent

Jul 6, 2014
    The Netherlands
    I only know stamppot.

Ricochet likes this.
  3. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I like to make a good Guinness stew in it. Cabbage with Pork roast is good also.

5120mantis likes this.
  4. jarrodtaylor

jarrodtaylor Gretschie

Mar 14, 2019
    Delray Beach, FL
    I use it for sushi rice. I suck at rolling sushi so I just make sushi balls.

5120mantis likes this.
  5. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Crock pots are fine. Cook all day at a low temp. We use ours often. Instapots may be fine, but, like a microwave, it just seems that everything is in too much of a hurry. Savor!

Last edited: May 5, 2020
  6. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    https://amandascookin.com/apple-cobbler-crockpot/

https://www.food.com/recipe/guinness-beef-stew-in-a-crock-pot-259913 I spice mine up a lot and use shitake mushrooms.

https://www.allrecipes.com/video/3261/slow-cooker-red-curry-beef-pot-roast/?internalSource=videocard&referringId=253&referringContentType=Recipe Hub

I grab recipes from online then change them to my taste. All you really need to do is pay attention to how long items take to cook. I will stagger adding ingredients depending on cooking time.

Sabato, 5120mantis and wildeman like this.
  7. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Works really well for fish stew too, it cooks great and doesn't dry the fish out.

calebaaron666 and 5120mantis like this.
  8. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    We have one, my wife loves it, I hate it. No control over temperature and it takes forever. I would prefer a pressure cooker, we've considered getting one.

5120mantis likes this.
  9. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Country Gent

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    I ALWAYS slow cook meats on the low heat settings. The high heat may cut the time in half, but it’s never as good.

Pulled pork!
    Lots of good recipes for PP in the crock pot, but ALWAYS rub it with spices and sear it in a skillet before the 12 hour slow cook. It’s essential!

wildeman, Bertotti and Sabato like this.
  10. Sabato

Sabato Country Gent

Mar 22, 2019
    Massachusetts
    19cad61 and 19MGB76 like this.
  11. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Gretschified

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    I worship my Instant Pot. (My dog hates it when I release the pressure.) I have the one with the air fryer too. We've used a crock pot for a long time and my wife still uses it. Many good recipes out there.

Tele295 likes this.
  12. swivel

swivel Country Gent

May 13, 2018
    PNW
    Daughter got me the Insta for Xmas. It's amazing. Cook a pot roast in less than a half hour from frozen!. That's good because we are terrible at planning meals!

5120mantis and drmilktruck like this.
  13. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I thought about getting an instapot but we already have a roaster crockpot and steamer. Crockpots of varying sizes for different amounts. I wouldn't mind if they had a big one that would cover everything I want to do but I have been known to have a crockpot or two and the steamer all running at the same time and I don't need more things in the kitchen.

Sabato likes this.
  14. afire

afire Country Gent

I like crock pots just fine, but the problem is that in my house, dinners are very rarely planned until a few hours before eating (thanks to the virus, I'm unable to indulge in such spontaneity for the time being).

I've been using a pressure cooker for years. I got one primarily for Indian curries, but branched out to any slow cooking dishes. I got an Instant Pot last year, and love it. It feels much safer and sturdier than my old stove-top pressure cookers, though not as quick to come to pressure. Just the other day, I used it for braised short ribs.
    [​IMG]
    But I still use a slow cooker. Carnitas, kielbasa and sauerkraut, lechon asado (which is the fussy part of a Cuban sandwich, so be sure to save some for that purpose), Venezuelan shredded beef (Instant Pot recipe, but you could do the same with a skillet and a slow cooker. Use skirt steak if you can, serve in a bowl over rice, topped with seasoned black beans, topped with the beef, topped with a fried egg and skip the plantains).

5120mantis, audept, Sabato and 2 others like this.
  15. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    But my favorite thing is..... 20200430_180905.jpg

16. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Slow-cookers make tender and tasty meals from lower-cost cuts of meat with lots of connective tissue. This morning I just started a 10-hour lamb tagine for tonight's dinner. I love Moroccan food.

wabash slim, TubeLife and Sabato like this.
  17. Sabato

Sabato Country Gent

Mar 22, 2019
    Massachusetts
    African-American slaves were given the "worst" cuts of meat and learned by the method you describe to make the most tender and delicious food which today survives as barbecue. I have a Big Green Egg and sometimes spend all day out there with a "Boston Butt" pork shoulder and it is amazing.

audept likes this.
  18. audept

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    You just made me very hungry! :)

Sabato likes this.
  19. Sabato

Sabato Country Gent

Mar 22, 2019
    Massachusetts
    I call this "Heaven".. it was a while ago and I had my great guy, the smoker, a book, and beer.
    upload_2020-5-5_21-27-23.png

5120mantis, wildeman, Wozob and 3 others like this.
  20. audept

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Damn these travel restrictions! I was going to come straight over! :D

Sabato likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice