Bottle necks / slides?

RagnarHairybreeks

Gretschie
Aug 1, 2022
Gloucester England
I only have two. One glass bog standard slide for clean tone. One slightly crackle surfaced ceramic one by a local maker. Gives (IMO) a very slightly warmer tone when sliding blues.

are there preference?

image.jpg

Axis39

Country Gent
Jun 2, 2008
Beaumont, CA
I have a pile of glass slides... Only one I really like is a brown glass wine bottle neck.

I have a pile of ceramic slides. I love my first Rocky Mountain Slide the best.

I have a couple of metal slides. The one I like best I bought at Gruhn's in Nashville, while driving across the country. It's super, super heavy and has a few cool features that set it apart.

I like all of them and use all of three. Each one does produce a different tone, and will make me play a little differently. There is no stand out for me... I really just like them all and it depends on the mood I'm in (or, honestly, whichever one is closest to hand).

Ohthis

Electromatic
Jun 29, 2022
Netherlands
I love slides and i have plenty. I'll describe some of them and I'll offer my opinions as facts, but just pretend that I write "IMHO" everywhere, because it's nothing more than a personal opinion 😅 please let me know if you have a different opinion. I'd love to hear about it! 😁

Least favorite:
A metal one that's tapered, so that you, theoretically, are able to play the thin e-string easily, while playing chords with the slide.
Non-tapered works better for me

IMG_20220807_1630141.jpg
I somehow don't like any of the innovations. For example: the half slide: " easily switch from slide to having your finger free again" the slide sound is not great, because of the lack of mass (less sustain) also when turning it around, it feels quite awkward on your finger. You want the worst of both worlds? Get this one! 😂 IMG_20220807_1643358.jpg
I also use glass slides. The thicker glass slides work better than the thin ones. Nice clean sound and less harsh than metal. The thin one is also very light and I can't get it to sound good.
IMG_20220807_1641517.jpg

I also own a ceramic one and don't like it much. It's a Joe Perry signature edition. Too polite sounding and just not my cup of tea
IMG_20220807_1643250.jpg

My by far favorite is a steel bar (from Shubb) for steel guitar. I put my falcon on my lap and play it as a steel guitar. This gives the best sound IMO and it's easy to play fast and more precise and tremolo techniques are easier to pull off.
The pic mostly shows the wooden part of it:

IMG_20220807_1628470.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20220807_1643358.jpg
    IMG_20220807_1643358.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 1

Ricochet

Senior Gretsch-Talker
Gold Supporting Member
Nov 13, 2009
Monkey Island
I have a few. I prefer the tone of brass pipe connectors. Other metals are too bright. Ceramic is ok but too heavy and cumbersome, glass sounds too...glassy. Lately I've been using 10cent plastic pipe connectors, very comfortable in weight, and good enough for a nut(heh!).

wabash slim

I Bleed Orange
Feb 10, 2010
lafayette in
Legend has it that the first slide was a rusty railroad spike.
I've heard that the best slides are the densest, heaviest.
A 10mm socket sounds like a good choice.

The sourest note I've ever heard is in the slide work at the end of Layla. Most of it's fine, but there is the one painfully sour note that they didn't fix in the mix.

Ohthis

Electromatic
Jun 29, 2022
Netherlands
Legend has it that the first slide was a rusty railroad spike.
I've heard that the best slides are the densest, heaviest.
A 10mm socket sounds like a good choice.

The sourest note I've ever heard is in the slide work at the end of Layla. Most of it's fine, but there is the one painfully sour note that they didn't fix in the mix.
Yes, heavy slides sound best, but the problem is that the action of the guitar can be too low for the weight of the slide. A dedicated guitar for slide would be great though

wabash slim

I Bleed Orange
Feb 10, 2010
lafayette in
Yes, heavy slides sound best, but the problem is that the action of the guitar can be too low for the weight of the slide. A dedicated guitar for slide would be great though
Somewhere in my bag of tricks I have a little metal dealie that fits over a guitar's nut to raise the strings for slide. Paid a dollar and change for it fifty years ago.

fuzz guy

Electromatic
Mar 20, 2022
Adelaide, South Australia
I don't think the mass of a slide makes much tonal difference with an electric. I've compared heavy and light ones and they sound the same to me. I prefer lightweight glass slides so I can play them with my regular string height without clanging off frets.

bobeschism

Gretschie
Mar 4, 2022
Bristol, UK
Glass slide and metal slide for little finger.
Middle slide for ring finger is an ebony one from Taylor - wasn't sure about a wooden slide but it's very comfortable and sounds great. Got it from PMT (UK).

IMG_20220808_124929749.jpg

Highroller

Country Gent
Jun 11, 2015
Portland, OR
I'm a lousy slide player, but I've screwed around with it enough over the years to have a favorite slide, and it's a little shorty glass thing - only an inch and a half long. Hand-crafted by some guy that thought he could make a living out of making slides and went out of business ages ago. He even etched his signature into it, and a serial number! Pretty fancy-schmancy, eh?

All kidding aside, it's a nice slide - the only I've ever tried that felt comfortable on my fingers. One of these days I might even get good at using it!

Falconetti

Synchromatic
Sep 18, 2012
Bagsville, Oxford UK
As with many pilgrims on the slide guitar journey I tried dozens of weights, sizes, materials, gimmicks and the like. In the end I found this ceramic slide which I have used for many years. I have a few spares in case I smash it and I carry a real wine bottleneck which is the nearest thing to the ceramic I have found as a spare Best not to rely on something really exotic unless you are prepared to buy a lifetime's supply is the lesson I guess. For the guitar end of things I set the action on Florence the Telecaster up high and put a set of 12 gauge strings on her and that's how she has stayed since...er....a long, long time ago. I try to avoid changing the strings unless I absolutely have to because I hate bright tone on slide guitar. IMHO the age of the strings is more of a factor in getting my tone than the slide material but its good to control variables.

IMG_8134.jpeg IMG_8135.jpeg

Here's Florence. Nothing fancy just an honest Telecaster of the working, field variety. She gets the job done and she knows she is a keeper.

IMG_7442.jpeg

Latest posts