Boomer Bends

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by Sabato, Nov 18, 2021.

1. No warranties on funny. I won’t define them.
    Posts go on here to have something to talk about, since one cannot buy new gear every week.

My stuff is on back order.

Maybe a blend?: I have to say something a little serious or hyperbolic once inawhile, hopefully with a kernal worth thinking about—otherwise I’m just trolling.

Wasn’t that the point of the article?

Last edited: Nov 20, 2021
    Henry, MrWookiee and Sabato like this.
  2. Yet it was used as inflammatory?
    Getting attention is for the new slacker.

Every person who sort of learned a tune,
    posts themselves on youtube thinking they will be a hit & never have to work again.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2021
  3. Sabato

Sabato Country Gent

Mar 22, 2019
    Massachusetts
    emojis are for the humor-impaired....

Runamok and MrWookiee like this.
  4. There is punctuation as well!
    Except it never caught on.

As a diver, I avoid the bends like the plague.

5. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Here's my guitar boomer bend face.

Runamok likes this.
  6. gtttrrr

gtttrrr Country Gent

Dec 7, 2011
    United States
    Me too! I watched the video, and STILL don’t know what “boomer bends” are,,,, amidit that I skimmed it a bit, but still? Can someone sum it up? Kid definitely has talent, not sure where all the negativity is coming from?

audept likes this.
  7. MrWookiee

MrWookiee Country Gent

Jun 17, 2020
    SoCal, USA
    They were talking about how each generation advances music and makes it their own. The kid said he isn't into using bends the way the Boomers did (i.e. referencing blues and blues-based rock). It was kind of a throwaway comment, not said with disrespect but academically giving an example of a technique he chooses not to use in his own style/sound. No harm, no foul.

8. Sabato

Sabato Country Gent

Mar 22, 2019
    Massachusetts

gtttrrr likes this.
  9. Sabato

Sabato Country Gent

Mar 22, 2019
    Massachusetts
    Follow-Up: I do boomer bend!!!

MrWookiee likes this.
  10. TSims1

TSims1 Gretschified

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta
    Have we really arrived at the place where we analyze and criticize bends? Man. I’m not a boomer, but those bends have made me a lot of $$$ and afforded me a bunch of fun. I think I’ll keep learning AND boomer bending. The anti-anti-culture. ;)

11. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    Sandy Eggo
    get ghostery app for your browser, its great.

speedicut, wabash slim and audept like this.
  12. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    Sandy Eggo
    Youre Millennial so the Zoomer's callin you out! :) haha :)

Henry and MrWookiee like this.
  13. Duo Slinger

Duo Slinger Synchromatic

Sep 11, 2020
    California, USA
    Ghostery and uBlock Origin, the saving graces of the easily annoyed.

speedicut and wabash slim like this.
  14. wabash slim

wabash slim I Bleed Orange

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    We're devolving from using actual words back into hieroglyphics.

15. Duo Slinger

Duo Slinger Synchromatic

Sep 11, 2020
    California, USA
    More fun for the future archaeologists!

MrWookiee likes this.
  16. wabash slim

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    You think we've got a future?

Runamok, MrWookiee and Duo Slinger like this.
  17. Duo Slinger

Duo Slinger Synchromatic

Sep 11, 2020
    California, USA
    Nah, but the aliens will have a fun time with it.

18. wabash slim

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Ack-Ack!

19. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    Every generation seems to convince itself that they have a better handle on life than their predecessors. The music of my generation was thought to be superior to the big band sensibilities of my parent’s generation, and we did have one advantage over pre-war music, because ready access to amplification did make it possible to reduce the size of a band from the 19 pieces of the big bands, down to much smaller “combos”, which certainly made things more simple, with regard to arrangements. But I would be loathe to argue that, on the whole, we bested the efforts of Glen Miller or Count Basie.

Frankly, the “boomer bend” is something I neither accuse or defend. Rock n’ Roll was, in great part, derived from Blues, although I would argue that there was a lot of Country in the mix of early Rock n’ Roll and, much like the mesquite in my yard, it just keeps coming back to the surface.

I have lost virtually all interest in Pop/Rock music since sometime in the ‘80s. (The last new song [receiving significant airplay] that I found interesting enough to learn was Carly Simon’s Coming Around Again.) I’m certain that some of this is generational, on my part, but I also feel that as music became more and more rooted in click-tracks, synthesizers, and layered recordings, my interest in music reduced noticeably.

Most music is not memorable. It doesn’t matter if you are talking about music from the current era, my youth, my parent’s youth or my grandparent’s youth; most of it is forgotten within a few years. Yet, some songs have incredible longevity. Yesterday was such a song, as are a relative handful of songs throughout history. We remember Beethoven’s 5th and Moonlight Sonata, over 200 years on, and there must be a reason. In contrast, a lot of the Top 40 Music of my youth was ultimately easy to forget.

With that as pretext, this young fellow may have a point, but he is also missing an important point; the odds are that his avoidance of the boomer bend will not extend the shelf life of his music in any meaningful way. His take on music will have its day and someday, someone will criticize his work and avoid his clichés. None of us are immune from the passage of time.

Amen. I used the colon/close parentheses smiley, and that it. It chagrins me that most web platforms put a cartoon in place when I do that. The original use of a colon in front of a close parentheses was a shortcut to allow the signaling of humorous intent within the ASCII character set. Now it has metastasized into something far greater and I’m not on board. I’m capable of expressing myself with words and I don’t need innumerable “emojis” to do that for me.

wabash slim and Duo Slinger like this.
  20. wabash slim

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Along with emojis, we get cell phone shorthand, and other internet speak.
    R, U, numbers for letters, odd abbreviations and the like. (What's the abbreviation for abbreviation?) Even weirder are things like boi, gurl, eyez, and other misspellings that take just as long, if not longer, to type out. While I'm far from an iconoclast, it just strikes me as lazy, or downright ignorant. I hate the odd uses of the useless diphthongs such as 'gh' (through thorough thought, though), and would prefer some simplification there. Common misspellings (right/rite, through/threw, fore/four, etc.) make me cringe. I try not to be the grammar police. A lot of it is due to modern English being comprised of many other languages, and being confusing.
    Maybe the world should run on Esperanto after all, or, go back to Latin.

Archtops likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.