Boomer Bends

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by Sabato, Nov 18, 2021.

1. Archtops

Archtops Country Gent

Mar 4, 2021
    SoCal
    You don’t know where you’re going if you don’t know where you Bend!

2. Desirsar

Desirsar Gretschie

Jun 9, 2021
    Lincoln, NE
    Want to double check without having to find any of their stuff, are they a "look, half the band is playing in 19/32 and the other half is playing in 7/8 and the audience hasn't left yet!" type? We already have jazz musicians that take key and time signature as mere suggestions, so I'm really not a fan of playing something that sounds like that but is actually technically correct - the jazz musician's playing has a flow to it, the math rock, well... sounds like an algorithm. Not sure why I would care about their bending technique or opinion on bending technique when they're expressing a music theory textbook rather than themselves...

3. GlenP

GlenP Country Gent

Jul 23, 2019
    WA
    “Twelve fingers or one,
    it’s how you play”

from a scene in Gattaca:
    (A good boomer sci-fi flick)

did you ever see Leo Kotke do a bend on his 12-string low E’s?

4. Stingray70

Stingray70 Electromatic

Oct 18, 2021
    Michigan
    I find much of "Polyphia's" music to be sterile, uninspiring, at times even annoying and Tim Henson's technical ability doesn't change that, it enables it. I don't say that because I'm offended by anything he said, I'm not even a "Boomer" (not a fan of the term). It's just that their "music" feels/sounds more mechanical to me than musical... I on the other hand will stick with some good bends and slide along with a good back beat....

Last edited: Nov 19, 2021
  5. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Well, I'm a very early gen X'r but don't use bends much. I prefer slides and hammer-ons. I have no issue with what the kid said and admit he is a way better player than I am!

6. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    I thought this was going to be a post about ghs strings. :eek:

7. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    Sandy Eggo
    yep earliest GenX'r as well, I'm guilty of the SRV bends when I pick up my strat haha.

8. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Strats do kind of scream to be bent now and then. I wonder why that is.

Runamok and TV the Wired Turtle like this.
  9. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    Sandy Eggo
    hendrix

Echocat23, Ricochet and MrWookiee like this.
  10. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Gretschified

Oct 18, 2015
    Germany
    I think we missed the point a bit.
    It is not about ridiculing the technique of bending strings.
    It is about using and incorporating modern-day technology not only as a part of a guitar`s tone but as an integral part of the whole concept of composing something with the instrument.

11. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    That doesn’t bother me either. Heck I also own a Maschine and have had a lot of fun with it. Let the kids use what they like. I may not like the cookie cutter whining garbage but my parents hate Judas Priest. Just please use a bit less auto tune and add more cowbell!

12. Highroller

Highroller Country Gent

Jun 11, 2015
    Portland, OR
    Ha - I did, too! Kinda sorry it's not.

Boomer Bends? Who cares? Just more trivial internet static to stir up some fake controversy and generate clicks. Play whatever you want folks, any way you wanna play it.

---

Last edited: Nov 20, 2021
    Bertotti and audept like this.
  13. MrWookiee

MrWookiee Country Gent

Jun 17, 2020
    SoCal, USA
    Boomer Bender: "Bite my shiny metal Bigsby!" 20211120_070622.jpg

14. MrWookiee

MrWookiee Country Gent

Jun 17, 2020
    SoCal, USA
    I finally watched the video in the OP; great discussion! One of Rick's better videos (though I've only seen maybe 8 or 9 of them).

Sabato likes this.
  15. Sabato

Sabato Country Gent

Mar 22, 2019
    Massachusetts
    The less you see of him the more you like him, and vice-versa...

16. MrWookiee

MrWookiee Country Gent

Jun 17, 2020
    SoCal, USA
    He can be a bit heavy-handed as a fanboy at times. I like him in measured doses. His "20 Best Acoustic Guitar Intros of All Time" video was funny. As he counts down each selection he demonstrates each one himself, and has good chops. All except #14 (Crazy On You) that is. He says, "I'm not even gonna attempt to play it" and shows a video of Nancy Wilson playing it instead.

17. Sabato

Sabato Country Gent

Mar 22, 2019
    Massachusetts
    Putting oneself up against Nancy Wilson would be a recipe for failure!

Craig Encinitas and MrWookiee like this.
  18. speedicut

speedicut Friend of Fred

Jun 5, 2012
    Alabama
    "Those damn old people and their rock and roll music!"

BTW, the pop up ads kept me from not only enjoying the article, but also being able to finish it...

19. Sabato

Sabato Country Gent

Mar 22, 2019
    Massachusetts
    After watching the video it seems that it was all blown out of proportion to get attention. Nothing derogatory or offensive was said.

drmilktruck, Bertotti, J Bird and 2 others like this.
  20. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Yep, and ironic because the rock we know from the 60s on embraced that concept in the form of guitar technology. What made rock music new was that new technology created sounds that your parents acoustic guitars could never achieve.

Including the ability to bend strings.

Yea most people miss the point because they are too focused on what they think (and want others to think) instead of trying to understand someone else's perspective. And instead of trying to understand, criticize his art. A common symptom of boomers.:D

It is really sad how so many of us dealt with and resented this sort of attitudes from our elders growing up, and now dish it out to the younger generation.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.