Boomer Bends

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by Sabato, Nov 18, 2021.

1. Sabato

Sabato Country Gent

Mar 22, 2019
    Massachusetts
  2. T Bone

T Bone Country Gent

3. The Box

The Box Gretschie

Feb 9, 2020
    Iran
    Rick Beato. A famous youtuber.
    I like him, He creates great content about music specially theory and harmony. He also makes some yellow-journalism type videos too. This "boomer bend" thing is one of them. some young guitarist called 70's and 80's popular type of bending "boomer bend". why do we care?

4. Duo Slinger

Duo Slinger Synchromatic

Sep 11, 2020
    California, USA
    lol yeah that would be Tim Henson. Polyphia is a technically amazing band, but I hate to be that guy, but there's no "feel"... by which I mean it's more about the technical prowess than musicality. But boy, is that technical prowess impressive.

The Box, T Bone and Mr Twangy like this.
  5. Mr Twangy

Mr Twangy Gretschie

Dec 27, 2020
    Canada
    I agree. I watched that Beato video a while back and thought that Rick tries a bit to be down with the youngsters, and as a musical theoretician he is naturally impressed by what Henson does. I find it cold and soulless, but then I'm ancient as hell.

The Box, Duo Slinger and T Bone like this.
  6. T Bone

T Bone Country Gent

Oh, I know who Beato is. Like at least a few of the videos of his I've seen. I was referring to this Tim Henson kid (never heard of him, his name to me evoked visions of Muppets :D).

And it was meant as a tongue in cheek, light hearted poke at him. Whoever he is, I'm sure he's a really good player. Reading the posts of @Duo Slinger and @Mr Twangy above, I see why I don't know who he is. That type of playing interests me about as much as mine (ammatureish at best, and I suppose complete with "Boomer bends", whatever they are) would interest him.

7. A Famous YOU TUBER?
    OK, I won’t waste time going too sarcastic.

Never heard of him. Not interested in finding “his content.”
    Now really, who cares what a kid with a computer thinks? Potentially, some of this may be scavenging books & other sources: republishing as their own content. The bar is low.

It gets him hits.
    But I can go into Guitar Center & see loads of 128th note wonders. Who can play circles around me. Though boring.

I see a similar attitude by 17 yr old kids who, in their infinite wisdom & life experience call a G chord which used to be std fare, now as OLD & relegated to the dust bin.

Now what used to be called a “folk G” in its day, is the NEW Cowboy Chord G.

It harder now to differentiate from your parents, even as it is easier.
    (Said as a wise beyond my years 19 yr old).

Last edited: Nov 19, 2021
  8. Archtops

Archtops Country Gent

Mar 4, 2021
    SoCal
    I have a problem…I’m a boomer bender…:D

9. Welcome Archtop.
    If youu do not already have a sponsor, one will be assigned to you at the end if today’s session! :)

MrWookiee, Henry and Archtops like this.
  10. wabash slim

wabash slim I Bleed Orange

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    At least it doesn't show. Maybe there's a cream that you can use.

MrWookiee and Archtops like this.
  11. Boomer Balm.
    In a pinch you can oil your feetboard with it.

DrMilkTruck can probably cut you script for it.​

12. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Gretschified

Oct 18, 2015
    Germany
    "The past has become sacred and unquestionable. We have, collectively, rebuilt the entire industry around nostalgia."
    That`s a thesis I would assist. Sad but true and somehow unhealthy.
    I confess that I enjoy living in nostalgia when it comes to my instrument, too.
    But I love to see a long-overdue disruption.
    Let the next generation use the guitar in a totally different and creative way to propel it into the future.

13. Duo Slinger

Duo Slinger Synchromatic

Sep 11, 2020
    California, USA
    The history of rock is hearing old stuff, adding some new stuff, and creating something different. And the cycle continues. I agree that we've grown stagnant... which is why you'll find me throwing together Chet-like fingerpicked arpeggios with pedal steel bends and tremolo picking... to create something different. There's nothing wrong with going through the parts bin, as long as you make it your own. The imperfection of human imitation is what makes new art.

14. Everybody giving up Bends for Lent?

15. Pine Apple Slim

Pine Apple Slim Country Gent

Dec 14, 2011
    North Alabama
    This boomer thought it was hilarious. I guess because Ive never been all that good at typical blues rock cliches. I learned a few of course but I've never played in a typical cover rock bar band. I never had to learn a lot of that music. Not to say I cant bend the hell out of some strings if I want to, Im a lefty playing righty so my left hand is strong as anybodies. I do make use of a lot of vibrato at times. I just never learned the rock bar band repertoire.
    My lead style is more informed by traditional bluegrass and Jerry Garcia that Zep or Aerosmith, just a different approach. Formed mainly by years on the acoustic, where the extreme blues rock bends just dont work all that well. My big bends tend to be more country/steel inspired, and Im more likely to use slides and more half step bends than a blues rock Clapton or Gilmour approach.

MrWookiee, section2, Henry and 2 others like this.
  16. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    The boomers are sure booming out of the woodwork here.

Oh and get off of my mulch covered front yard!

17. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    Sandy Eggo
    when I heard "Boomer Bend" on rick's channel, I was dying. its totally true and I love the point of view. ps. no one watches cable tv anymore. We watch Youtube Tv on our Tv's
    boomer with a computer meme.jpg

18. Duo Slinger

Duo Slinger Synchromatic

Sep 11, 2020
    California, USA
    Same! I'm a big fan of pedal steel bends, I use those, oblique Slash-esque bends more than blues rock ones.

19. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    Sandy Eggo
    why didnt I think of that last year? :) :) The way to keep from cheating is to put 13g strings on, haha

MrWookiee, Duo Slinger and Archtops like this.
  20. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not, and not sure which would be funnier.

Chet Harrison likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.