Bohemian Rhapsody

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by new6659, Jul 30, 2020.

1. new6659

new6659 Country Gent

I know that I'm late off the mark but I just saw "Bohemian Rhapsody" this past week. I was absolutely staggered by the Wembley Stadium sequence. I clearly remember the performance from 35 years ago and was transported there once again. Bravo!!! Bravo!!!

CaliforniaSlim, Waxhead, radd and 5 others like this.
  2. nickurso

nickurso Gretschified

Dec 24, 2012
    New Orleans la.
    I loved the movie. I saw it twice at the theater

Waxhead, radd and new6659 like this.
  3. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    @new6659 , I'm a big fan of Queen and was fortunate enough to see Queen with Freddie mercury 3 times . I saw the movie in the theaters the 2nd day of it's release . I can honestly say that I thought the performance of Rami Malek was so spot on , that one would think that Freddie Mercury was still alive . A movie that I never get tired of

4. DaddyDog

DaddyDog Country Gent

Sep 18, 2011
    Mississauga, Canada
    If you go and look up that performance on YouTube, you'll see the movie's depiction is unbelievably good.

nickurso and new6659 like this.
  5. 5120mantis

5120mantis Country Gent

Mar 6, 2011
    nj
    It was very well made, the game was the first album i bought with my own earned money as a kid in the 80's....
    That robot on news of the world's cover... still freaky, great album.

new6659 likes this.
  6. englishman

englishman Gretschified

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    I had to keep reminding myself that it WASN'T really Brian May in that movie, great casting.

Waxhead, nickurso and new6659 like this.
  7. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz
    Movies about bands usually are not to good. This one was an amazing exception. I loved it all. I especially liked that it did not avoid his struggle with HIV but the movie did not beat us up with that aspect.

The entire package from acting, to cinematography, to the story line was fantastic. I loved it.

new6659 likes this.
  8. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Gretschified

Oct 18, 2015
    Germany
    I have to confess that I spent most of the film staring at the Rami Malek`s incisors...

new6659 likes this.
  9. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz
    Interesting tid bit, Rami’s original fake teeth for the movie were the same size Mercury’s were. They proved to big for Rami to handle so they downsized them for the movie.

loudnlousy and Waxhead like this.
  10. new6659

new6659 Country Gent

I agree. John Deacon's character was also a spitting image.

radd likes this.
  11. new6659

new6659 Country Gent

Queen with Freddy Mercury 3 times!!! I wish I had seen him once!

Jeff67 and thunder58 like this.
  12. YouFellowRebels

YouFellowRebels Gretschie

Jun 17, 2020
    Minnesota
    Not a gigantic Queen fan, while admitting they are an icon and have phenomenal tone, and really enjoyed the film.

new6659 and thunder58 like this.
  13. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Unbelievable band . Freddie Mercury was such a showman . The last time I saw them , Billy Squire opened up for them . Billy Squire's band was really good , played all the good stuff . Queen came out , volume cranked like 8 times louder than Squire's and they were just crystal clear on their volume . Even their wardrobe was more professional than Billy Squire's band .
    Hey @audept , did you ever work for Queen ?

new6659 likes this.
  14. englishman

englishman Gretschified

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    Saw them twice in two years. First time was at Southampton (UK) and "Bohemian Rhapsody" went to #1 on the UK charts the next week. Second was a free concert in Hyde Park, London.

new6659 likes this.
  15. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Yes, I was the chief sound system engineer for "The Works Tour" of 1985 in Auckland NZ, Melbourne and Sydney Australia in April 1985. They were awesome live!

16. Jeff67

Jeff67 Country Gent

Nov 3, 2019
    Crockett, Texas
    Always one of my favorites!:)

Queen.jpg

AND... just got my last trophy with this message. Running with the big dawgs now...;)

Last edited: Jul 31, 2020
    new6659, Groutsch and thunder58 like this.
  17. Groutsch

Groutsch Gretschie

Jun 9, 2018
    Maryland, US
    I was a fan since my brother brought home the Sheer Heart Attack album when we were kids. I'd seen the Wembley concert on Youtube, and the movie had a great recreation. My wife and I took our 20-year-old daughter so she could see what a rock band was.

Jeff67 and new6659 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.