Blue Sky Mine

Discussion in 'Gretsch-Talk Music' started by Waxhead, Sep 11, 2021.

1. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    I'm not one for love songs usually and prefer bands with something to say.
    Aussie rockers Midnight Oil always had something interesting to say imo.

Blue Sky Mine had special significance in the Australian setting as for past 30 years it's been our biggest industry. It's so pervasive here a lot of people think we're in risk of becoming just one big hole in the ground.

I worked as environmental manager/regulator for the EPA on many of the worlds biggest coal mines in the Hunter Valley NSW, plus also on gold, silver, ruby, copper and many other mines - both underground and open cut. After looking into the depths of a few 100 open cut mines I decided if you've seen one big hole in the ground you've seen em all :D

"Blue Sky Mine" was a big hit song in Australia as it struck a nerve.

Craig Philips vocals, Kel Martin harmonica, Mike Dennis drums. I play bass, guitars, keyboard and recording production.

Guitars used were Godin Seagul acoustic and Gretsch Jet 6131 plugged to a Mesa Mark V 25.
    Only pedal used was a bit of Wah in a few sections :)

https://www.soundclick.com/music/songInfo.cfm?songID=14310948

Last edited: Sep 11, 2021
    JoeHartley, Paulie26, DennisC and 7 others like this.
  2. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    Sandy Eggo
    like it alot great work.. I am biased as I LURVE Midnight Oil and mom's side is all in Oz :) :)

audept, Craig Encinitas and Waxhead like this.
  3. juks

juks Country Gent

Nov 26, 2020
    Fremont, California
    I like them. I think early nineties I saw a documentary on TV where the band was flying around Australia to aboriginal communities and just set their equipment on the dirt and rocked. That was my introduction to Midnight Oil and made me a fan.

DennisC, Craig Encinitas and Waxhead like this.
  4. drmilktruck

drmilktruck I Bleed Orange

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    I bought that album when it came out in the US. Great rendition. Thanks for sharing.

Waxhead likes this.
  5. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    yeah the Blue Sky Mining album has a lot of great songs :)
    Forgotten Years, Stars of Warburton, King of the Mountain and One Country are all great song too imo

Last edited: Sep 11, 2021
    Mr Swisher likes this.
  6. Mr Swisher

Mr Swisher Synchromatic

Jun 12, 2012
    England
    Great song.
    Great Album.
    Great Band.

Great cover version too.

Have a pic I took from Brixton Academy, London in 2019. RIP Bones.

IMG_20190614_015152_057.jpg

audept, Waxhead and Craig Encinitas like this.
  7. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    Thanks Swisher .... and that is a great pic you took too :)
    Oils were a powerhouse live act honed from playing the Aust pub/club circuit in their early years.

I remember first seeing them in Sydney pubs and I played in other bands on same line-up/night.
    They were a hard act to follow :)

section2 and Mr Swisher like this.
  8. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    Also Swisher - looking at your 2019 pic it shows Moginie still using Vox AC30 and Rotsey - looks like Vox AC30 for cleans and a Marshall (unknown) for dirt.

Those 2 amps were consistently the Oils tone over the years. They changed guitars quite a bit though. Moginie on Gretsch Jet in early years and then ES-335, Strats, SG and others :)

My fav member of Oils was always Rob Hurst on drums and vocals though - simply awesome :eek:

section2, Mr Swisher and audept like this.
  9. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Another great track! I have always been an Oils fan and toured with them as Sound Crew Chief on the 1993 Earth and Moon and Sun tour in Oz. Rob Hirst is a great drummer but he drove us sound guys mad because he liked to pour a little water on his Floor Tom skin so that when he hit the tom drops of water would fly in the air. Looked great under lights but the spray went into the microphone and we had a very rusty tom microphone which had to be replaced! "King of The Mountain" is one of my favorite Oils songs, I hope you guys give it a try, I'd love to hear your version of it!

Last edited: Sep 12, 2021
    Mr Swisher, Waxhead and blueruins like this.
  10. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    hehehe Wyn - you've got so many great stories - thanks for posting

I met Rob Hirst a few times and had a feer beers with he and Peter G.
    I agree King of the Mountain would be a good one to do and so would Forgotten Years - both from the Blue Sky Mining album

Here's a good video of Rob Hirst talking about the writing of Forgotton Years :)

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Paulie26 and audept like this.
  11. brownie

brownie Country Gent

Oct 29, 2013
    Spain
    Great stuff Waxhead; love it.

Waxhead likes this.
  12. DennisC

DennisC Country Gent

May 11, 2017
    Germany
    ... I love it!

Or, maybe this just is a better match here - I dig it.

... digging out cubic miles of soil, running refinement processes and getting rid of contaminated water just where it emerged, poisoning countless rivers and entire ecosystems, to get our hands on material we use for truly essential items like Tamagotchis and similar crap ... shines quite a light on humanity. We're great, yeah ... great again.

Waxhead and Mr Swisher like this.
  13. Paulie26

Paulie26 Gretschie

Sep 7, 2020
    Ireland
    Enjoyed that - thanks

I love that LP and Diesel & Dust

audept and Waxhead like this.
  14. Mr Swisher

Mr Swisher Synchromatic

Jun 12, 2012
    England
    I think the gear has been consistent from the off. I saw them first on the Blue Sky Mining Tour of the UK in 1990. They were playing to ten thousand people at Wembley even then.

Saw them again on The Earth and Sun and Moon tour a couple of times. I remember bumping into Bones and Jim at an Ice Cream van. Then it was 27 years later when I caught them again on the great circle tour. They were just as good, only change was Petes dancing was slightly less manic.

What I love is two electric guitarists in a band. Midnight Oil and The Church were fine proponents of double geet set-up.

on Jim's insta he's been doing alot of off the cuff playing during lockdown. All on a Gretsch as far as I can tell.

section2, audept and Waxhead like this.
  15. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    Here's another good video with drummer Mr Hirst talking about the writing of "The Dead Heart" :)

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited: Sep 14, 2021
    Mr Swisher likes this.
  16. Dana Rudd

Dana Rudd Country Gent

Nov 26, 2019
    Greybull, WY
    Great job as usual, thanks for sharing.

Waxhead likes this.
  17. DennisC

DennisC Country Gent

May 11, 2017
    Germany
    I have to admit ... it had been years since I had last heard that song, but it kinda rang with me right away.

Both, the original and yours.

... Midnight Oil sure is worth a look (and, it seems, the opinions they state are more than reasonable - who says "I'll feed you if you contribute to XY" also says "I'll starve you if you don't!").

Waxhead likes this.
  18. JoeHartley

JoeHartley Newbie

Oct 17, 2021
    USA
    Great version of a great song! Made me grab my guitar and play along as this one's just so much fun to play. Thanks!

Waxhead likes this.
  19. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.