Blend Pot Instead of Switch?

Discussion in 'Technical Side of Things' started by unbridled, Dec 31, 2020.

1. 1883

1883 Gretschie

Apr 12, 2015
    Aotearoa
    Okay, I just ate some humble pie :oops:. You are correct, I did not use the Danelectro switch. It must be an ON-ON-ON like this:
    https://www.amazon.com/JD-Moon-Elec...BKWYVGNWJSZ&psc=1&refRID=06C6H2K8PBKWYVGNWJSZ

Can't remember now what brand I installed but my circuit is working.

2. unbridled

unbridled Synchromatic

Aug 20, 2008
    Montana
    @hcsterg (and anyone else)

If I go with humbuckers, would the 500k balance pot be better?

I'm probably going to be leaning on folks here to help, because, if I go with 'buckers, I'll probably tap them, which will totally throw me off. Haha.

hcsterg likes this.
  3. 1883

1883 Gretschie

Apr 12, 2015
    Aotearoa
    Yes, 500K best for humbuckers. If you split the coils, with a 500K pot it will be brighter but there is a tone pot too....

unbridled likes this.
  4. unbridled

unbridled Synchromatic

Aug 20, 2008
    Montana
    Thanks! Bright is good! Lol

5. hcsterg

hcsterg Friend of Fred

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    If it is my simplistic solution, I'll say no, but a test is not difficult to make to see the if balance spread is better with B500K than B250K, otherwise.

If it's @1883's Bourns dual gang balance special taper solution, certainly yes, as the pots are acting like classic volume pots.

A+!

unbridled, DennisC and 1883 like this.
  6. unbridled

unbridled Synchromatic

Aug 20, 2008
    Montana
    Thanks!

7. DennisC

DennisC Country Gent

May 11, 2017
    Germany
    ... you been successful? How did it work out? Which schematic, any flaws, anything still to correct?

8. unbridled

unbridled Synchromatic

Aug 20, 2008
    Montana
    I'll update when I get it done, but it will be a while, as the pups I want to get are backordered.

9. unbridled

unbridled Synchromatic

Aug 20, 2008
    Montana
    I'm going to go with the Bourn's pot.

So, that would give me Master Volume, Master Tone, and the blend pot. I'd like to tap both pups. So, all three pots will be 500k, right? (I'd like to do a no-load tone pot, but they're 250k)

I can find the diagram for just that setup just fine (and I've used exactly that for 2 basses.) I just don't know how to incorporate the coil taps. I'll probably just use pots with switches.

I'm going to try to build the harness while I wait for the pups to get back in stock.

10. 1883

1883 Gretschie

Apr 12, 2015
    Aotearoa
    Yes, use 3 x 500KOhm. If you use pots with switches I suggest you use the Master Volume and Master Tone pots for them. If your pickups have 4 wires, then you will find that two of them are already joined together. That join needs to be switched to ground with the pot-switch which then leaves one coil in the circuit...

unbridled likes this.
  11. unbridled

unbridled Synchromatic

Aug 20, 2008
    Montana
    Thanks. Yeah, I'm going to use the MV and MT for the taps. That way, everything is right there where the three controls are at the lower bout. I just about had the taps figured out. Thanks for the info. I wasn't sure if they went to ground or just left open.

One more question- is there any benefit to using shielded wire and just running the shield to ground? The reason I'm thinking about doing this is that I have a medical device implanted in my abdomen that causes faint beeps to get picked up by guitar electronics. (Any of them. Active, passive, buckers, anything) I've tried extra shielding in all of them. It's barely noticeable, except to me when I'm not playing. My Gretsch is the best at not picking it up, simply because of the deeper body. I'm wondering if shielded wire will help.

I bet THAT's a wiring question you haven't heard of. Haha

new6659 likes this.
  12. 1883

1883 Gretschie

Apr 12, 2015
    Aotearoa
    Strange indeed that one...

I think using shielded wire is always a good idea to eliminate as much EMF as possible. I like to use braided wire, something like this:
    https://www.amplifiedparts.com/products/wire-guitar-22-awg-solid-core

The only disadvantage I found out, the hard way, was that when installing the harness in a hollow body, it is possible that one of the longer wires can be pulled against a pot's lug or so, thereby shortening the lug to ground. Careful installation should avoid this...

Sid Nitzerglobin and unbridled like this.
  13. unbridled

unbridled Synchromatic

Aug 20, 2008
    Montana
    That's what I ordered. Haha

14. Axis39

Axis39 Country Gent

Jun 2, 2008
    Beaumont, CA
    You could also get seriously anal and put some heatshrink over the braid....

1883 likes this.
  15. unbridled

unbridled Synchromatic

Aug 20, 2008
    Montana
    You must be a mind reader.

Axis39 likes this.
  16. Teledriver

Teledriver Synchromatic

Feb 12, 2011
    Iowa City, IA
    You may want to get a reading from your pots with a multimeter. I started doing this a few years ago and it is a good habit to have. Some 500k I have read 480, 515, 545, etc. for example. I measure them, then use a piece of tape with the reading written on them. If the tape falls off in my parts tool box, no big deal I just re-measure when I need one.

unbridled likes this.
  17. DennisC

DennisC Country Gent

May 11, 2017
    Germany
    I double that - I do measurements of all components I build into anything, be it electric or mechanic (of course, the measurements then are different ones), which in the end spares you of not knowing if the component itself is broken in case something doesn't do what is to be expected.

I wrote their value on my pots with a sharpie. Won't wear off, and once they're built into something, no ones sees it, and whoever might come across them later on might find this information useful, too.

I never had a pot exceeding the value it is said to have, until now, they all were a fair bit below. Sometimes even exceeding the 20% tolerance they're supposed to not exceed. What a firstworld problem...

Anyway - circuit is built, everything clear, works, ... ?

18. unbridled

unbridled Synchromatic

Aug 20, 2008
    Montana
    I usually measure them to see if they are close. If so, they go into the guitar I'm working on. I have parts I've taken out of guitars and basses I haven't tested in my "misc. junk" box. There's probably enough parts in there to do this project, but I'm waiting for new parts to come in.

19. unbridled

unbridled Synchromatic

Aug 20, 2008
    Montana
    Well, work has begun! IMG_20210210_152006.jpg

Apparently, GreTsch likes random wraps of electrical tape just as much as I do...

20. unbridled

unbridled Synchromatic

Aug 20, 2008
    Montana
    I wanted to put in some Vintage Nashvilles, but GFS is suffering from no stock, due to Covod, so, I went with the Dream 180s. I really want the coil-tapping function to experiment with, and I assume I'll spend most of my time with these tapped, or I would have gone with the Dream or Surf 90s. I'm not much for hot pickups, but I can always swap them out for Nashvilles when they come back in.

This is the diagram I'm using, once @1883 explained tapping a little better for me.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.