Bigsby Spring smaller?

Discussion in 'The Great Bigsby forum' started by Stefan, Feb 24, 2021.

1. Stefan

Stefan Country Gent

Jan 20, 2016
    Germany
    Hi,

is it possible to press the 1“ Reverend soft spring to ~7/8“ with a screw clamp???

Thanks!

2. michelb

michelb Synchromatic

Mar 27, 2020
    Belgium
    Won't it become stiffer as well? Or is that the point :p

3. Stefan

Stefan Country Gent

Jan 20, 2016
    Germany
    Nope, I just want it smaller and I guess compressing the spring turns it even softer.

4. SAguitar

SAguitar Synchromatic

Jan 17, 2020
    Jack Plate, Oregon
    Well, sure you could compress it with a clamp, but when you release the clamp it will spring back! If what your looking for is to lower the bar for a better hand position you might have to custom make a new bar for your Bigsby. Also, I put a softer spring on one of mine and that lowered the bar a little.

Jimmy Mongo likes this.
  5. Randy99CL

Randy99CL Country Gent

Feb 17, 2020
    Albuquerque
    I don't think compressing the spring makes it softer, more likely it stays the same or gets stiffer.
    I'd just buy the softer 7/8" spring.

Henry and Tele295 like this.
  6. Randy99CL

Randy99CL Country Gent

Feb 17, 2020
    Albuquerque
    And if you're really cheap you could cut the stock spring but that would make it stiffer.

hcsterg likes this.
  7. Stefan

Stefan Country Gent

Jan 20, 2016
    Germany
    Ups...I didn‘t know there’s a soft spring in 7/8“...

hcsterg likes this.
  8. hcsterg

hcsterg Friend of Fred

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Unfortunately no, @Stefan : @michelb is right.

The spring compression law is :
    F = k.L
    where :
    F compression effort in Newtons
    k stiffness constant of the spring (depending on the number of turns wound, and the wire lenght and diameter) in Newton/Meters.
    L delta-distance between free lenght and compressed lenght of the spring, in Meters.

So you see that more you compress the string, more the compression force is. ;)

A+!

michelb and Henry like this.
  9. hcsterg

hcsterg Friend of Fred

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Exactly.

A+!

10. Randy99CL

Randy99CL Country Gent

Feb 17, 2020
    Albuquerque
    You're right, sorry, I think I saw one on ebay from a chinese seller but can't find it now.

I'm a retired machinist and you can cut or bend a spring to make it shorter.

If this is realllly important, you could also bend the arm. Buy a spare and bend one.

11. Jimmy Mongo

Jimmy Mongo Electromatic

Dec 24, 2019
    Vermont
    What type of spring did you use to make it softer? My G6128T is very soft but my 5420 is stiff and I'd like it to be as soft as the G6128T.

12. capnhiho

capnhiho Country Gent

Feb 16, 2013
    California
    @Setzerhotrod (Mr. Bricks BiggsFix) can squash one of his super squishy springs to reduce the angle of your Bigsby lever to a more manageable level. The angle was good on the B50 of my Double Jet after buying a genuine Bigsby 7/8” spring, but the action was too stiff. I even experimented with heating and squeezing a couple of springs in my vise (failed). He managed to squeeze one of his springs down to the size I needed, and the action is now perfect. I suggest you contact him in a private message and communicate your needs.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.