Bigsby click on 2420

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by Smokebreak, Sep 15, 2020.

1. Smokebreak

Smokebreak Electromatic

Feb 22, 2019
    Texas
    Can't figure out for the life of me what is causing this mechanical clicking on the B60. Doesn't happen when only pressing down, but when I warble below and above the note, I get this clicking. I've tried rotating the spring, and also tried different height springs, and I've also tightened the nut that holds the arm on. Any ideas? Here's a vid: UPDATE: it also does it with no spring

Last edited: Sep 15, 2020
  2. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    OK. Here's my opinion on the subject, that I personally met numerous times... :mad::)

There are 2 springs on the Bigsby : one for the strings (the bigger), one for the handle (the smaller).

Rotating the string one is indeed the first good tip to do : there's a more silent position usually. But it may be not enough to solve that ugly clicking noise issue, because :

3 - very often, the string spring is poorly seated in its upper and lower die-cast cups.
    4 - very often, the spring bouts (string and handle) are poorly finished and rough.

To cure this, I shape, deburr and polish the ends of the spring on a grinder to make them smooth and fit in the cups for the string springs, and rest nicely flat on the washers for the handle spring.

I also use sparingly Molykote Molydal grey high pressure grease paste, which has the color of aluminum, to ease the contact of the springs with the parts.

This, with proper orientation spring, cure the noise issue each time unfailingly : while pressing/pulling the handle, while rotating forward/backward the handle.

I'm nearly convinced that your noise problem here is tied to a poorly shaped / dressed Bigsby string spring, if I refer to your video, @Smokebreak ... ;)

But it's me, OK ?

A+!

mrfixitmi and speedicut like this.
  3. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Did I see the Bisgby wobble a little bit , side to side , at the last 10 seconds of the video :confused: ( made thats the noise ) Just a thought . I other words is the Bigsby rocking ?

4. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Friend of Fred

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    Man, that’s frustrating. I’d imagine the sprint isn’t seated correctly for some reason or another.
    Have you tried taking out the white plastic washer? Maybe replace it with a penny.

5. Smokebreak

Smokebreak Electromatic

Feb 22, 2019
    Texas
    Ok thanks guys, I'll look into all these things.

I think the rocking was mt camera work ;)
    But on that note, I noticed that if I swing the arm out a bit, say perpendicular to the strings, and depress the bar(which is ergonomically unsound), there is no click....

6. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    It can arise and is not surprising : there is always some backlash here and there on the Bigsbys, so in certain handle positions, the noise may null... I saw this too.

IMHO, check / work the seatings and the ends of the strings spring, and you will certainly be done... ;)

A+!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.