Bigsby 5420 compatible?

Discussion in 'Electromatic Gretsch Forum' started by Terry_Collier, Sep 25, 2021.

1. Terry_Collier

Terry_Collier Electromatic

Sep 11, 2021
    United Kingdom
    Hi hope everyone's well.
    I've been fancying putting a V-cut Bigsby onto my 5420 and have always wanted a Chet handle...
    Please could anyone confirm if the B6 GW would fit on my Electromatic - and be a "do-able" mod for a sausage fingers such as myself

For the fine people who have done something similar, please share your experience (and photos!)

Thank you

Limuz likes this.
  2. Limuz

Limuz Gretschie

Sep 8, 2012
    Netherlands
    I’ve put a V-cut on my 5120, fairly easy swap. I did have to fill the old, and drill new, screw holes for the hinge. It almost covers the old holes. Keep in mind that the guitar is grounded at hinge too, so take it off very carefully so the tiny wire doesn’t fall in. I folded a piece of aluminium foil over it, so it wasn’t able to.

3. Terry_Collier

Terry_Collier Electromatic

Sep 11, 2021
    United Kingdom
    Thank you for that, much appreciated

4. Limuz

Limuz Gretschie

Sep 8, 2012
    Netherlands
    You’re very welcome! For filling in the old screw holes, I advise a simple round toothpick, if I remember right they’re pretty much the same diameter. Little wood glue and you’re good to go. Snip off, let dry and drill new holes!

5. rake_ether

rake_ether Gretschie

Aug 24, 2019
    Athens, GA USA
    Did just what @Limuz did when attaching a V-cut B6 to my 5420. One small issue I had was that the grounding wire was right below where the strap knob attached. Since I don't play standing I didn't replace the button but it would be easy to move it (it's held in place with what looks like aluminum tape).

Terry_Collier likes this.
  6. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa Cruz
    Many of us have done it. It is not difficult. That being said, it is far from a drop in replacement.

I solved the location of the strap pin by slotting the new Bigsby. The stock V cut hinge base just has a hole not a slot.

4308404F-2217-4BC9-B1A5-02EE29BDD894.jpeg D75BA203-8548-4E75-97E8-08941F11179C.jpeg 9198B688-8D47-4868-AE22-20B8D15316FA.jpeg

With the Bigsby mounted in the proper location, the original holes are covered.

DA71CE3E-1776-4A00-997C-93F74846EBAB.jpeg

Last edited: Sep 25, 2021
    section2, G5422T, Henry and 2 others like this.
  7. Lockupyourfatdog

Lockupyourfatdog Synchromatic

Aug 8, 2016
    Everett wa
    I’ve done this many times. I drilled and filled a few times but also just switching the hinges is pretty easy to do as well, it’s just a long rivet. Drill out one side and pull the pin, swap the hinge and use a hammer and hole punch to spread it out again and you’re good to go. No one looks at the bottom of the guitar anyway

section2, Terry_Collier and radd like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.