Best way to break out of a playing/practice rut

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by NWAttorney, May 5, 2011.

1. the_undecided_one

the_undecided_one Electromatic

Mar 4, 2010
    Sandpoint, ID
    indeed. I'm the one you keep hearing down there...

2. NWAttorney

NWAttorney Country Gent

Feb 27, 2010
    Idaho
    So that's what all the shaking is coming from down there. I thought it was HAARP.

3. Thunderball

Thunderball Synchromatic

Oct 2, 2009
    New York
    Many, many guitar players go through a rut or even long periods of hiatus where they hardly play at all. These ways offer a way out of it:

- buy a new piece of gear;
    - learn a new playing technique;
    - attempt songs in genres you don't normally play;
    - keep your guitar on a stand.

You'd be surprised at how those can get you going again. A new amp, guitar, pedal, or even a glass slide and, wow, you are attacking your guitar again. Try learning Travis picking or any other form of complex playing...the challenge will inspire you to play more.

4. Jukebox

Jukebox Gretschified

Jun 2, 2008
    Foreston,MN
    Not everyone!:eek:

Go out and entertain! Go to a nursing home and play, it's not like they can run away....seriously, go to the nursing home and play. They will love you and it will give you a chance to go out and perform.

5. D. Spree

D. Spree Synchromatic

Sep 10, 2010
    new york city
    I have these ruts every now and again - after a 2 year stint of feeling amazing growth I hit the wall about 2 months ago. Like the posts I quoted I try to avoid the noodling playing (when tired, when watching the late news, after a pint(s) etc), and I also go back to basics - broing scales where I don't ex[ect any breakthroughs) and I have found it useful to work in different tunings. So in teh past to get back in a groove I take out an old acoustic, tune into a G or Eb tuning and hit teh slide or play some Skip James stufff (hence d. spree for drunken spree a Skip song I've never mastered!). I use tunes like Muddy's version of walking blues to get into a groove again. But like Caeman mentions, this go around I'm listening and playing "other music" - learneda couple of Kristofeferson / Nelson type tunes like Loving Her was Easy (relatively simple songs and stuff I usually don't listen to, but melodic and beautiful) and this week learned two acoustic tunes of of the Dylan World Gone Wrong album. Gets me to a different place. Now I feel ready to go intesnely back into some T-Bone study and some Magic Sam and Freddie King stuff.

Bottom line there's been loads of good advice in all the previous posts and the lesson is that everybody - all of us -- goes through these phases. Beginner or oldie, pro, semi pro, or just for pleasure, we all get the plateau blues.

Nice question you asked, great posts, good luck and you will wake up sometime soon back in your groove!

6. patrickjcrum

patrickjcrum Gretschie

Nov 4, 2008
    Ohio
    All good advise! What ususally works for me is to not play for a week or so- and while I'm not playing, listen to a different genre of music. I ususally revert to stuff from my youth. I just dust off some old cds and put them in my car. I have the "luxury" of a 30-40 minute drive to and from work, so That gives me time to ingest new inspiration.
    It's nice having more than one guitar too_ I'll put one away and play the other for a while for shallow ruts...

7. NWAttorney

NWAttorney Country Gent

Feb 27, 2010
    Idaho
    Actually this is a goal of mine. I'd love to be able to do pro-bono concerts for nursing homes and the like. If I did it right now, however, they might bust hips trying to run away.

8. NWAttorney

NWAttorney Country Gent

Feb 27, 2010
    Idaho
    Since I bought my son's (The Undecided One in this forum) guitar (Schecter Solo 6 Standard) I can play very quietly at night w/out anybody else hearing. It is nice to switch between that and my G6119 TRose...which then sounds loud.

I think learning some new licks and songs will do the trick....For now.

9. S. Rock

S. Rock Friend of Fred

not trying to be smart, but trying to be helpful. Skip James used open D minor tuning. DADFAD

6th-D
    5th-A
    4th-D
    3rd-F
    2nd-A
    1st-D

"I'm So Glad" is so easy to play this way. there's a video on youtube of a friend of his telling about his tuning this way. have fun. :cool:

10. Manic

Manic Country Gent

Dec 5, 2009
    *puts on the smart cap*

Open D? That F should be an F#, then. :)

11. S. Rock

S. Rock Friend of Fred

read very carefully. it is open D minor.

12. pilgrim

pilgrim Country Gent

Jun 15, 2010
    Mississippi
    No, No, No ! the line "let's kill all the lawyers" is really "let's STEAL all the LAWNMOWERS"
    Now go forth an play !

13. Manic

Manic Country Gent

Dec 5, 2009
    Oh, D MINOR! Never mind.

14. jaycemumford

jaycemumford Country Gent

Jan 2, 2011
    OzVegas
    Pilgrim that is hilarious :D

15. Manic

Manic Country Gent

Dec 5, 2009
    "Excuse me, while I kiss this fly!"

*guitar riff*

16. pilgrim

pilgrim Country Gent

Jun 15, 2010
    Mississippi
    Seldom 4 me

Yeah, occasionally I can be funny! Thanks so much.

17. NWAttorney

NWAttorney Country Gent

Feb 27, 2010
    Idaho
    Well then I guess I can learn that song!

18. Manic

Manic Country Gent

Dec 5, 2009
    NW, I dunno. I think it would be ironic if you sang a song about throwing all the lawyers into the ocean.

19. NWAttorney

NWAttorney Country Gent

Feb 27, 2010
    Idaho
    Well because of our incredible professional courtesy we would not bite each other :)

20. pilgrim

pilgrim Country Gent

Jun 15, 2010
    Mississippi
    No worries

Most of the folks at nursing homes are in wheel chairs on XANAX, they only respond when they want you to take them to the restroom.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.