Best way to break out of a playing/practice rut

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by NWAttorney, May 5, 2011.

1. NWAttorney

NWAttorney Country Gent

Feb 27, 2010
    Idaho
    Ok all you advisers,

I've been playing now since last March (14 months ago), and have fallen into a rut big time. Any good ideas on how to mix things up? Make it fresh?

Maybe not playing at the end of the day when I'm dead tired would be a good start.

I'm all ears.

2. No-name

No-name Synchromatic

Jun 30, 2010
    Cody, WY
    Well, is it a rut or a plateau? I have lots of periods when I feel that I am not really learning new things or getting better. I usually get out of it by picking a new song to learn, usually from YouTube. or getting together with others and playing, if possible. but I don't know if there's any easy solution. I just play through them until I get inspired about something.

I think playing when tired can be a lot of it. If I pick up the guitar at the end of a day, after I've poured myself a pint, I don't expect to make any breakthroughs. even if I get into a good groove, I likely won't be able to find it again in the morning. my best results come on saturday morning while the Coffee is still flowing.

3. NWAttorney

NWAttorney Country Gent

Feb 27, 2010
    Idaho
    So you're saying not to practice late at night, when tired, after having a pint?? :).

I need a new song. I which I could play all the cool solos in the Eagle's "Get Over it", but the line "let's kill all the lawyers" just always sits a little funny with me.!

4. 5120mantis

5120mantis Country Gent

Mar 6, 2011
    nj
    listen to things you normally wouldn't listen to.

5. The Marlin

The Marlin Friend of Fred

Feb 2, 2011
    London...ish
    Have a few private lessons. Concentrate on theory, work with a different scale, and mode.
    That'll rattle your grey matter.

Mr Marlin

6. ishtar

ishtar Country Gent

Didn't Shakespeare have some real scoundrel characters saying that line? In the context of the play, don't they want to kill the good guys? I may be wrong.

Hey, when I am in a rut, I look up famous lines from literature and examine their context. After that, I am soooooo glad to put down a book and pick up a guitar!

7. S. Rock

S. Rock Friend of Fred

find someone to jam with.

8. c7ble

c7ble Gretschie

Apr 29, 2010
    Edinburgh
    What he said
    Especially this early in your playing.
    Find someone really good and nick all his cool licks !
    :)

9. Lizardkinged

Lizardkinged Friend of Fred

Oct 5, 2009
    Michigan
    + one.

10. the_undecided_one

the_undecided_one Electromatic

Mar 4, 2010
    Sandpoint, ID
    hey, I can help you there!:D

11. big kenny

big kenny Country Gent

Nov 2, 2010
    Wi
    Learn some George Harrison licks

12. Onefalsemove

Onefalsemove Gretschie

Mar 24, 2011
    Calgary, Ab
    I run in to this time to time, the playing rut. I asked my guitar teacher, a professional musician who has been gigging for 20+ years what to do about it, he recommended not playing for a day or two. It actually works for me believe it or not.

13. DrumBob

DrumBob Friend of Fred

Feb 2, 2011
    New Jersey
    Good advice already: Take some lessons, jam with a friend who's maybe a a more experienced player and ask him to show you some of his licks, listen to some new music you haven't experienced before. There's a ton of good stuff on the 'Net to watch and learn from. And some worthless sh**, so you have to weed through it.

I'm getting together with a guitar player friend of mine who's going to teach me some stuff I haven't been able to figure out on my own. You can always learn.

14. Manic

Manic Country Gent

Dec 5, 2009
    Try a different genre of music.

Learn a song in an odd scale, like, Db major.

15. Tigershack

Tigershack Electromatic

Apr 13, 2011
    Tennessee
    Learn new songs.

I read music, standard and tab, but I find I like to learn best by ear. Better for learning 'on the fly' like at jam sessions, when playing with new people, impromptu gigs, etc.

Scales are great for exercise and warming up, but most of your time should concentrate on playing songs and learning new songs.

Try to make sure you are properly tuned to the recording (a lot of songs are sped up a tad) and play along with CD's or whatever your music is recorded in. I still remember lifting and moving the needle about on records trying to copy a lick or riff. Good luck!

16. Manic

Manic Country Gent

Dec 5, 2009
    Polka! Everyone loves a good polka.

17. sandiego6120

sandiego6120 Gretschie

Jul 5, 2009
    San Diego
    Try this song... San Ho Zay by Freddie King. Easy in the key of C. I have, over the last week fallen in love with this cool old song. It might be just the trick for ya!!!!

Whatever you do, don't stop playing. Just take a break for a couple of days, relax and don't presure yourself too much...

18. Manic

Manic Country Gent

Dec 5, 2009
    Children's songs. They are simple, yet disguise a complexity that would take days to fully comprehend.

19. NWAttorney

NWAttorney Country Gent

Feb 27, 2010
    Idaho
    Yeah. That's what I was thinking...

20. NWAttorney

NWAttorney Country Gent

Feb 27, 2010
    Idaho
    If you would ever play out loud maybe we could! Where do you live? Oh yeah, down stairs.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.