Best Tuning Machine Upgrade for G5120

Discussion in 'Electromatic Gretsch Forum' started by SuperB23, Mar 16, 2012.

1. SuperB23

SuperB23 Gretschie

Jan 5, 2009
    Bay Area California
    I've been slowly improving my White G5120. I have upgraded the pickups, straplocks, and bigsby so far. I'd like to do the Tuners, Bridge and Nut next. I'm curious what Tuners fit in place of the fancy looking open back ones that come on the Anniversary year 2008 G5120 models. It feels like I have to retune my guitar a lot compared to the more expensive Japan made models I've owned. I'm hoping this final upgrades help with that.

2. Astrolux

Astrolux Gretschie

Dec 7, 2011
    mexico
    I now someone did this mod very recent. I am having trouble finding it on my iPhone. They showed a step by step and did a great job.

I haven't had any trouble with either of my 5120s coming out of tune. Even with Texas weather. ;-)

3. nickyboy

nickyboy Synchromatic

Jan 10, 2011
    South Wales, UK
    Waverly are nice

4. Colonel Blues

Colonel Blues Gretschie

Mar 29, 2010
    France
    Locking Sperzel… really good !
    I have them on my 6118 T-LTV Anny !

5. dazzajl

dazzajl Country Gent

Apr 18, 2010
    wiltshire
    The best upgrade to the tuners always seems to be a well cut nut.

It makes the most sense to get a nice tone enhancing and sustain giving bridge. Get the nut just right and then see where you're at. You might not need to do anything at with the heads, unless you want a different look.

6. Lance Romance

Lance Romance Electromatic

Oct 29, 2011
    London, Ontario, Planet Earth
    The stock open tuners are actually quite good. The nut is the problem. Fix that FIRST and see if your tuning woes vanish. Then spend a few bucks and get a Compton bridge...huge improvement!

7. polishbroadcast

polishbroadcast Synchromatic

Jun 23, 2010
    Chicago
    +1. I like the tuners Gretsch uses on their 51XX series. They are light and work great. The metal post is going to shear off before the worm gear moves so if you are losing tuning, you have other issues to investigate (as others have mentioned). I'm a big fan of the Black Tusq nut. I have them on two guitars.

8. james lee

james lee Synchromatic

Feb 7, 2012
    north pole
    Don't throw things at me, but why buy a guitar gut it and replace everything on it?

To me that says you bought the wrong guitar. (I have been known to be wrong before)

9. MyBootsOnFire

MyBootsOnFire Gretschie

Dec 16, 2011
    USA
    Fix the nut to fix the tuning, then get some Sperzel tuners just cos they make life easier when you do string changes. Being able to change a string in all of about 15 seconds is worth every penny.

@James Lee
    i think there are a couple of reasons for this. Some of us can't leave anything alone. I'm sure a lot of the folks on here are just like me. I've modified most of the things i own. My cars, my computer, my home, and of course, my guitar. Sometimes its fun to try something new, see if it works a little bit better. The other reason to modify an electromatic especially is that they are a nice budget guitar, but a budget guitar doesn't get top of the line parts. For some of us it's easier to buy the cheaper guitar and upgrade pieces of it at a time instead of forking over a large sum of cash all at once.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2012
  10. ampe

ampe Country Gent

May 11, 2011
    belgium
    lube the nut, luke!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.