Best strings for an Alligator G9240

Discussion in 'Gretsch "Roots" Acoustic Forum' started by Rob F, Jul 24, 2021.

1. Rob F

Rob F Newbie

Jul 24, 2021
    Wilmslow, England
    Hello all,
    Hope everyone is well.
    I have a Gretsch Alligator G9240 which I play with a slide almost exclusively in open g.
    Still trying to find the right strings - I am considering the John Pearse Nickel Wound G Tuning strings which would seem an obvious choice but am hesitating as they are 16s and was worried this might be bad for tension / setup issues?
    Any advice on these strings or ones you think are good for my purposes would be much appreciated!
    Thanks and all the best,
    Rob

Jerzey Bob likes this.
  2. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Welcome to the forum Rob . I'm sure someone will be along soon to help you in the right direction :)

3. Rob F

Rob F Newbie

Jul 24, 2021
    Wilmslow, England
    thanks very much and yes, any advice much appreciated!

4. Jerzey Bob

Jerzey Bob Synchromatic

Apr 3, 2021
    North Jersey
    Consider DR Pure Blues 10's. I'm learning slide on a 2622T, also in open G, & the Guitar Wizard at my local shop suggested them. No complaints. Just need to be careful stringing as they're round core, but the projection is night & day over the stock Fender? strings that came w/ it. Also learning slide in E standard on an old Tiesco Encore. I just use Ernie Ball 9's on that.

EDIT: Just noticed your git is acoustic, forget everything I just said. :cool:

Last edited: Jul 24, 2021
  5. Rob F

Rob F Newbie

Jul 24, 2021
    Wilmslow, England
    Ha, ha - no worries - thanks for the advice though, I have an Epiphone EA250 which I also play alot of slide on - I might restring with the DRs next ime around!
    Rob

Jerzey Bob likes this.
  6. They ship with phosphor-bronze lights, if I remember correctly. 12-53.

The tail isn’t cut for mediums. That’s the word online & I’ve tried one set of mediums on it. They were a little bit force fit, but not terrible. Better than baling wire. Went back to lights.

Not a lot of adjustment on this guitar.
    I suppose you could swap out the biscuit bridge each time. :confused: What is your slide made of?

** I’m not an expert opinion by any stretch, so consider that you didn’t pay for mine:
    Depends on how much fretting vs relying on purely slide, imo. Never found the perfect strings, I’ve used ghs white bronze which brightened the sound a little bit. Meh. Not as crazy about them as I was the first week.

Its an affordable guitar — try ‘em all.
    If you’ve never restrung it before: I’d say one string at a time. I string mine on the back of the guitar. Gives it a unique look.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2021
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.