Best Of Elvis?

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by ramjac, Nov 3, 2019.

1. panhead6zero

panhead6zero Synchromatic

Jan 17, 2015
    The Motor City
    I have the Elvis 50s box set. I do NOT have a velvet Elvis Painting with a light on it! Although now that would be pretty cool! I like his 50s stuff the best!

JC higgy, 5120mantis and MKunie like this.
  2. MKunie

MKunie Synchromatic

Feb 8, 2012
    Vegas,USA
    I had the 2 vinyl album package!!! As seen on TV Hot Damn

Zeek likes this.
  3. MKunie

MKunie Synchromatic

Feb 8, 2012
    Vegas,USA
    If you are an Elvis fan, Get the entire collection, Some may make you yawn, But it is still Elvis. Some are actually very good as todays movies are basically all garbage. The 68 special, TTWII. Elvis on tour were fantastic and not to mention the Aloha Special. For me, If it is Elvis, I can watch it.
    Musically? Most of all of his SUN Stuff. the idea of Scotty making up all the guitar that all of emulate is mind blowing!!! and there are so many lesser know recordings that you need, Knowing about how he was just one of the singers and he looked up to the other musicians, will help also.
    We Can Make The Morning, Padre, My Boy to name a few. There are so many. OK Even Stretching it a bit listen to Yoga IS as Yoga Does, That will prove if you are a real fan, OMG!

Zeek likes this.
  4. Zeek

Zeek Synchromatic

May 29, 2016
    Illinos USA
    I remember when he died my Mom was broke up ... The World was. This has always been a fav song of mine

This was my Dads song to my Mom

5120mantis likes this.
  5. johnny g

johnny g Country Gent

Sep 2, 2017
    union, ms
    Elvis, Mississippi born, made 31 movies I saw each one sometimes twice. I sang most of his songs live with my band in the 60's and 70's. As you can see I was a big fan. Can even do the lip thing but not the leg thing anymore.
    First song I learned to sing and play was Love me Tender.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2019
    panhead6zero and Zeek like this.
  6. Charles Conner

Charles Conner Gretschie

May 19, 2016
    Maryland
    I'm a big Elvis fan and have a large collection of Elvis records some that were boot leg recordings of live performances that are now legit on RCA label. I did own a 78 rpm Sun label of That's Allright Ma Ma that I gave away back in 1960. When Elvis died that was something I thought of and now wonder what it's worth.

I played trumpet when I was a kid, started at age 8 or 9 in the 1940's. When my grandmother found out that I liked music, she gave me a guitar which I quickly traded for a fishing rod (It wasn't loud enough). I understand grandma wasn't happy about that.

When I was 15, in 1956, I was watching big band music, the Tommy Dorsey band on TV and they had a new guest performer jumping around singing some strange hillbilly music. I thought his name was "Albert", I didn't catch the last name. The next day I went to my usual hang out at the Baltimore city housing project recreation hall where I lived and all of the women there were talking about that guy named Elvis Presley that I saw on TV the night B/4.

It didn't take long before I was hooked and traded my $100.00 trumpet for a $10.00 guitar. Grandma's son (AKA dad) wasn't happy about that. I soon found out about the new electric guitars that could be heard as well as a trumpet and I wanted to be like Scotty Moore.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2019
    Zeek, JeffreyLeePierre and new6659 like this.
  7. JeffreyLeePierre

JeffreyLeePierre Country Gent

Oh yes absolutely! His best movie actually!

5120mantis likes this.
  8. JeffreyLeePierre

JeffreyLeePierre Country Gent

$1,500 on discogs

Charles Conner likes this.
  9. ramjac

ramjac Synchromatic

Aug 14, 2011
    Wisconsin
    Jailhouse Rock was a hit here once we got the firestick working (stupid Amazon). Kids thought it was great and I didn’t recall Scotty and Bill being in so many shots. Agree that the seated group numbers were the best of the ‘68 Comeback Special, showing Elvis as more human than idol, but the kids liked a lot of the staged numbers.

5120mantis likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.