Best home amp for Gretsch 6122 59

UK Chet Matkins

Electromatic
Sep 27, 2012
UK
Playing Chet tunes is my happy place 😊.
On your Deluxe Reverb, does the lack of a mid control make getting a warm tone difficult?
I love Chet’s playing, an amazing career from the late 40’s all the way through to the 90’s, if you’re interested I have a YouTube channel here Matt Cowe where I’ve got loads of tunes. The later stuff on the channel is usually an SM57 in front of the Deluxe, although sometimes I use a Fender Twin modelling plug in. I haven’t found the lack of a mid control problematic, I also usually use the ‘normal’ channel and a couple of pedals to get my sound - a TC Electronics Polara reverb and a Strymon El Capistrano tape delay, plus a bit of always on compression from a cheap Joyo pedal and sometime a bit of edge from an EH Soul Food overdrive..

tpk1904

Electromatic
Apr 20, 2022
United Kingdom
I love Chet’s playing, an amazing career from the late 40’s all the way through to the 90’s, if you’re interested I have a YouTube channel here Matt Cowe where I’ve got loads of tunes. The later stuff on the channel is usually an SM57 in front of the Deluxe, although sometimes I use a Fender Twin modelling plug in. I haven’t found the lack of a mid control problematic, I also usually use the ‘normal’ channel and a couple of pedals to get my sound - a TC Electronics Polara reverb and a Strymon El Capistrano tape delay, plus a bit of always on compression from a cheap Joyo pedal and sometime a bit of edge from an EH Soul Food overdrive.
I've watched a lot of your playing on YouTube. It's great stuff and very inspiring. Please could you let me know where you have the bass and treble set on the Deluxe Reverb.

doc538

Gretschie
Sep 20, 2017
Massachusetts
I haven't heard anyone complain about their tone masters, In your price range, wattage adjustable, super cleans, I'll be upgrading my Fender Mustang to one soon.

mrfixitmi

Country Gent
Mar 20, 2010
Michigan
There are so many excellent suggestions that have been given, but it all falls into personal preferences.

For example, I may be the only one out there, but I love the Vox Amp on clean. I do admit that the AC30 C2 is bit too loud, so I use an attenuator.
At times we use a vintage Ampeg Reverberocket R12R that gives the vintage vibe.

We also have a Gibson Firebird that is very clean.

Honestly, if at all possible, you may consider taking your guitar to a friend's home with the amp you are curious with hearing.

cqscqs

Gretschie
Dec 8, 2013
midwest
The Deluxe Reverb doesn't have a mids EQ. Does that not limit the ability to get a balanced clean tone?
I have the DR TM. Rolling the mids and trebles down to about 3 or so will boost the mids. I was concerned about no mid control as well, but this works, at least for me.

UK Chet Matkins

Electromatic
Sep 27, 2012
UK
I've watched a lot of your playing on YouTube. It's great stuff and very inspiring. Please could you let me know where you have the bass and treble set on the Deluxe Reverb.
Thank you! I am not at home right now and I can't remember the exact settings, but I think it's treble 5 and bass 4, volume about 2. But I do vary them from time to time if I'm in a different space. I think a lot of my tone comes from the fingers and having well shaped acrylic nails as well :)

Berington

Gretschie
Jan 6, 2014
Los Angeles
With Gretsches, a Ric-12, Fender & Gibsons, depending on the use, I use a Vox AC-30, a '65 Fender Twin-Reverb, or smaller models, incl a Vox VT-40+ hybrid amp which is surprisingly good in smaller applications, a mid-'70s Fender Vibro-Champ, a couple other smaller Voxes & a small hybrid Marshall. The one thing I'll offer: (in my experience) if you want a clean, pristine sound, the lower your wattage is the less clean headroom you'll have. Even in a home setting, if you want any volume at all, it will go into distortion before you know it. That would include using attenuators in more powerful amps. They're GREAT, but the lower wattage you choose, the easier it'll go into distortion. I tried a Vox AC-4 once, & it sounded great for low-level blues & hard rock, but to get a clean sound from it was near impossible.

I may be wrong - I've not tried most of the recommended amps here - but I'd suggest you may need at least 10, 12, 15 watts if you want to get a clean sound and actually be able to hear it! Good luck!

Last edited:

Groutsch

Synchromatic
Jun 9, 2018
Maryland, US
The one thing I'll offer: (in my experience) if you want a clean, pristine sound, the lower your wattage is the less clean headroom you'll have. Even in a home setting, if you want any volume at all, it will go into distortion before you know it. That would include using attenuators in more powerful amps. They're GREAT, but the lower wattage you choose, the easier it'll go into distortion. I tried a Vox AC-4 once, & it sounded great for low-level blues & hard rock, but to get a clean sound from it was near impossible.
This is a good point. I got an AC30S1 for home use because I like all its headroom. With just one speaker, it's not as loud as an AC30C2, but the 30-watt capacity gives the circuit a full clean voice. It's not a bedroom amp, but it's fun as an occasional living room amp.

MrMajstyk

Gretschie
Dec 3, 2011
los angeles
I do have the mk2. Please could you let me know which settings you use - gain, volume, bass, mid, treb, contour and cabinet. That would be really useful. Thanks.
There are no 1-10 markings on the dials, and it really wouldn't help anyway because tone is SO subjective, but I will say this...start on the clean channel...then the "panel" setting...either through the foot controller or the amp face under "Tone Settings"...far right button "panel"...and start dialing in your tone. Remember the gain control isn't like the typical gain knob on most tube amps, so don't be afraid of it! And for home use, the .5 watt setting is plenty! Just remember, after getting a tone you like SAVE IT as channel 1. (BTW, the Waza-Craft 12" speaker is pretty amazing, and it has plenty of bass response, so warming up the tone should be pretty easy.) I have all my tones saved, so I don't know exactly what dial position they are, but I have ch 1 for acoustic guitar, ch 2 for clean, ch3 for crunch, ch 4 for lead...and I use "panel" for brown. Then above the channel selector, you'll see a variation button...that will give you a pre-set tonal variation on each of your channels. Then there is tone shape selector, the global eq button (3 presets), and the cabinet resonance selector (3 choices). And you have boost and solo control for each channel. And THEN if you want, you can connect your amp to a computer and REALLY deep-dive!
I know it sounds a bit complicated, but its really easy once you start, and an endless source of really usable variants when you get into the effects!!! But the tones you get are well worth the effort. This amp isn't for everyone...especially the types that just want to "plug in and jam". But once you get your settings saved, that's exactly what you can do...and have multiple amp sounds and effects in one cab. And I find when I use this amp I don't lug my pedal board!

Bertotti

Friend of Fred
Jul 20, 2017
South Dakota
Thank you everyone for the suggestions and advice. It's greatly appreciated. Keep the suggestions coming if anyone's got any more.
Seems I read ina. Earlier thread you already have a worthy amp for home use that should get you the tones you want. Might I suggest more time learning the amp? I have a Peavey triple xxx that most people scoff at until they play it and O explain that the controls on some of the channels are active, you strat the dial at noon and cut or boost as you turn left and right, once they learn this their whole attitude towards the amp changes. So if you really learn to dial your amp in you’ll be happier with it but if you just want another amp hey get another amp! I can understandstand that I think I’m up to 10, 7 full tubes amps, 2 hybrids and an old Pignose which is SS. So I understand the desire for an amp. I’m already eyeballing another! But if you really master the amp you have you will be happier with it but also have a better idea of the tone you’re currently searching for.

cycler

Electromatic
Feb 11, 2022
I did not read through the entire thread, but, what kind of music do you primarily play? If you are going for a rootsy, rockabilly, sound, I would try to try out a tweed deluxe, of which there are many different builders so finding a used one should not be a big problem. Another consideration if you have the chance to try one, are any of the brown sound fenders. Just my .02c