Best guitarist I've seen up close.....

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by markeebee, Aug 1, 2020.

1. HypotenusLuvTriangle

HypotenusLuvTriangle Country Gent

Oct 27, 2010
    Whittier, Ca
    I've been at the front of the stage for Brian Setzer and Megadeth.... so either Setzer or Mustaine.

2. gretsch-to-go

gretsch-to-go Electromatic

Oct 2, 2019
    Palm Coast, FL
    Parking lot sales are the best. Both my Squier Strats were bought in parking lot meets. The Bullet SSS HT is named ALDI for the grocery store chain. And the Affinity SSS Trem is named LUNA for a pizza restaurant called Mezzaluna. My LP, that was a GC sale, but being a 1st guitar I needed the friend of an expert to choose a starter. Actually of the guitars I picked out, the LP was the 1st one off the rack of quite a few that day. So I call the LP, the Jolly Roger. I thought about calling it Paula, because it's an Epiphone & not a Gibson, so it's a Paula & not a Paul. And the last guitar, a music store purchase too, that's a natural finish Applause acoustic that looks like a Glen Campbell Ovation. So it's aptly named Glen.

Really never fan-boyed any musicians, whether it was an intentional fan stalk or just random & accidental. Who knows though, might have and just never recognized them by face or their age at the time.

3. Jeff67

Jeff67 Country Gent

Nov 3, 2019
    Crockett, Texas
    Carvin (now Kiesel) has a video of Frank Gambale demoing his FG1 signature model. I'm amazed by how he never seems to disturb the strings with his fretting hand, unless he's adding a little vibrato. His fingers just seem to float over the fretboard.

As far as anyone I've seen in person, Jeff Watson from Nightranger is the same way. Completely blew me away with those two- handed hammer- on/ pull- off licks. Until I went to that concert at The Oil Palace in Tyler, TX back in the '80s, I had no idea he was doing that. And not just using the index finger on his picking hand- he used all four, plus all four on his fretting hand.

4. johnny g

johnny g Country Gent

Sep 2, 2017
    union, ms
    Travis, Chet and Jerry Reed. Been within 6 foot of them. Travis at a concert in the Big Easy. Chet at the Neshoba County Fair. Jerry at a club on the coast in Mississippi. I was lucky enough to work the stage with them. (not as a guitar player)

Jeff67 likes this.
  5. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    Oh ,how could i forget Thom Bresh ,he was trying out a guitar at a show in Southern Ireland back in 97 ,me and the cousin walks into this room where it sounded like they were playing a cd and there he was ,pickin' away , just looks at us and smiles!

He played a show later that day with Buster B Jones,another amazing show!
    And i didn't even get a pic or an autograph ,i always feel a bit embarrassed asking for autographs and the like,i haven't done that since i was kid back in 80's .

Jeff67 likes this.
  6. GlenP

GlenP Country Gent

Jul 23, 2019
    WA
    A few concerts come to mind where I was close enough to see some really cool guitar work in action.

Jeff Healey. He was opening up for Little Feat, I only heard Angel Eyes on the radio, and did not know he was a tremendous blues player. After Little Feat played, they invited him back on stage for their encore, he was truly amazing even sitting down.

Neal Schon. This was another opening act, he was touring with Paul Rodgers (Free, Bad Co, The Firm, guest singer with Queen) after his Muddy Waters blues tribute album that featured many different guitarists. I was wondering who was going to be touring with him, as that was not advertised and maybe he had different guitarists at different stops on the tour, and again was close enough to be totally amazed at the fretwork by Neal (Santana & Journey) I don't even remember who the headliner of that concert was now, might have been Steve Miller. Paul is an excellent front man, and appropriately shared the spotlight with Neal as well.

Steve Howe, at a relatively small winery outdoor amphitheater with large video screens so you get a good view anywhere, for the Yes50 tour. Just amazing. Not just the guitar playing, but he took some time to talk to the audience, very enjoyable show.

Jeff67 likes this.
  7. jfassett

jfassett Synchromatic

Dec 9, 2017
    Tucson
    No, wasn’t him.

8. jfassett

jfassett Synchromatic

Dec 9, 2017
    Tucson
    Had front row seats for Tommy Emmanuel at the Fox here in Tucson, amazing!

JC higgy likes this.
  9. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    I'm not personally acquainted with any good players, but tnx to our small venues(and lucky seats) I've found myself front row with Leo Kottke, Poppa Chubby, Jan Akkerman and Adrian Vandenberg. Somehow it's more impressive( and intimidating) if you can follow the fingers up close.

GlenP likes this.
  10. thunderbaas

thunderbaas Electromatic

Sep 22, 2019
    groningen,netherlands
    I live in The Netherlands quite close to the German border.Being a big King Crimson fan I found out that in july 2014 the "Crimson Project" played in Oldenburg (a German town) For us this was a 2 hours drive. The setting was stunning. It was a free concert at a square in the middle this nice medieval town. The band played mainly songs from the "Discipline/Beat/Three of a perfect pair" era . And the absolute star of the show was Adrian Belew. Incredible how he plays a 12 bar riff, loops it,and makes it the backbone of an entire track. Doing that live was slightly intimidating. After the concert he just stepped of the stage and went into the crowd. Got a glass of white whine from someone took a sip and didn't like it verry much. So I stepped up to him and told him that Germany is a beer country & offered him one. He gladly accepted and we talked a litle while about his signature Parker guitar & little gig he did on dutch television a couple of weeks earlier. Verry friendly an down to earth gentleman is Mr. Belew. When we parted he shook my hand. What amazed me was the size of his hands. Verry big and massive fingers and still such an excellent player,incredible.

moltenmagna and YouFellowRebels like this.
  11. Gewdkharma

Gewdkharma Gretschie

Jan 14, 2018
    Gig Harbor, WA
    +1 on the front row for Setzer. Closest I have been to greatness

12. Telechamp

Telechamp Country Gent

Oct 20, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    5th row center for Setzer is the one that comes to mind.

13. ishtar

ishtar Country Gent

Bill Frisell, Mark Sorenson, and their teacher, Dale Bruning.

Frisell, solo, Grace Cathedral. Lucinda William's 'Ventura' -
    http://www.cossoo.org//11 Ventura 1.mp3

Mark Sorenson visiting with Gordon Close, not playing a Gretsch -

Bruning with Frisell

14. slickfaster

slickfaster Synchromatic

Dec 29, 2009
    USA
    Was two feet away from Jim Heath at the Troubadour in LA years back.. he was amazing to watch.

moltenmagna and ishtar like this.
  15. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    I had all but forgotten about that. The guitar was a Gibson Crest from roughly 1960. As Gordon explained, this was a very specialized model, and quite costly. Apparently it was a platform for custom orders.

I remember it as playing quite well. Like many Gibsons, the fretboard is exceptionally flat, in comparison to what I’m accustomed to. The sound speaks for itself. I will point out that I was playing through a battery powered, solid state amp, a Traynor, IIRC. The sound surprised me. It was a perfect platform for the subdued melody of Angel Eyes.

The last time I visited Gordon’s store (which has since moved to a new location), I got to play Johnny Smith’s Epiphone Triumph and a Gibson Super 4000, one of only a handful made, and the only thin-bodied 18” guitar I’ve ever seen. The visit before that, I spent at least an hour playing one of Hank Garland’s old Byrdlands, which was an amazing treat. It was also strung about as lightly as any guitar I’ve ever played.

54BDE320-3C54-468B-9AC2-020E35F2DC77.jpeg

The sound was every bit as beautiful as the sunburst.

The Bill Frisell, Dale Bruning album is a great piece. Dale is so pure, so understated and Bill falls right into that mood. I remember hearing Bill play while I was waiting for his lesson to finish and for mine to start. He must have been about 19, at the time, and I was 17. He was startlingly good. I don’t know how it was that I was so fortunate as to have Dale as an instructor, but 48 years later, all that I learned from him has served me well. I doubt that he would be likely to ever read this, but I think it’s great that Bill has kept in touch with Dale all these years and so readily acknowledges the influence Dale had on his development as a player.

Jeff67 and ishtar like this.
  16. GoLeafsGo

GoLeafsGo Synchromatic

May 1, 2014
    Ajax Ontario
    When I was a little kid, my parents made my brothers and me take piano lessons. Looking back now, I see how good that was for me musically. But at the time, I would much rather have taken guitar lessons, which were also offered at the Bayview Music Clinic in Toronto, just like this real cool kid a few years older than me that had his lesson around the same time. He seemed to be a real good player. His name was Alex Živojinović. But you probably know him as Alex Lifeson.

Jeff67 likes this.
  17. tpwaterhouse

tpwaterhouse Electromatic

Nov 5, 2010
    san luis obispo, ca
    I have a friend in the music business who told me to let him know if I ever needed him to sit in with our band. A few months later I saw him backing up a singer/songwriter act and he was a virtuoso on guitar. More than a year later I got to see his actual resume. Yikes! A long list that included performing with Fleetwood Mac!!!

18. Dana Rudd

Dana Rudd Synchromatic

Nov 26, 2019
    Greybull, WY
    The Ventures watched the first set. Between sets talked to all and got their autographs. Then watched the second set. Very enjoyable evening.

19. jfassett

jfassett Synchromatic

Dec 9, 2017
    Tucson
    This was pretty close! setzer.jpg

Daktari9 likes this.
  20. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.