Best guitarist I've seen up close.....

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by markeebee, Aug 1, 2020.

1. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Cool experience. There was a reverb.com video where a dude tried Cory Wong' daily warm up routine. It was quite a routine, challenging theory as well as technique and timing. And it reinforced why there are such good guitar players out there. I think I'm a good lawyer, ive been doing it nonstop, full-time (and more) for 15+ years.

A lot of people see a good musician and think "oh s/he has talent". Perhaps, but the really good musicians put in a lot of work - just like the rest of us in our non-musical professions. To me, that is inspiring- the only thing preventing me from being as good or better is ME.

Stefan87, Robbie and new6659 like this.
  2. swivel

swivel Country Gent

May 13, 2018
    PNW
    It's depressing how many great, yet unknown, guitarist's are out there. You run into someone like the OP did and think... geez, WTH is wrong with me that I have only progressed this much in so many years?

YouFellowRebels likes this.
  3. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    I sat 20' off stage from SRV on his first US tour. Got to help restring and tune his guitars, and be deafened by Dumbles. That's the one advantage of being a stagehand. We get to see lots of stars up close and personal. I saw Roy Clark at a small bar in Topeka KS. He walked in, asked the band if he could sit in. They couldn't get a guitar into his hands fast enough.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2020
    wildeman likes this.
  4. markeebee

markeebee Country Gent

That's him. Really nice guy, very humble and funny.

The other thing that got me.... he had been booked in to play a session for Disney and they told him it involved some surf guitar. So he thought he'd better just go and buy a three grand Mosrite, like I'd buy a new Sharpie if I had to write a report on something.

5. dougmon

dougmon Gretschie

Jan 9, 2013
    California
    Robert Fripp. He played a Frippertronics show at the Tower Records that I worked at in this 80s. Was about four feet away from him.

I also saw him on a second occasion, when he did a lecture and concert at Berkeley. I was a little farther away, though, maybe ten feet. But I remember it really well because it was my second date with the woman who became my wife.

6. cowmoo

cowmoo Country Gent

Aug 19, 2011
    North Wales
    I’ve sat and watched this lad Gary play in my mates living room in the early hours of the morning.

Here he is on Tommys right.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2020
    moltenmagna and JC higgy like this.
  7. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    I saw Micheal Landau and Sonny Landreth playing their dimed Twins in my face once, AWESOME! I gotta say though that the best, most intimate glimpse of brilliance i have ever seen was pianist McCoy Tyner play solo in a small room at Stanford university, he played for 1 1/2 to 2 hrs and it seemed like it went by so fast, it was incredible, i was 20 feet away from the Steinway Grand.

8. LongJohn

LongJohn Synchromatic

Apr 22, 2016
    Queens, NY
    Danish Pete of Anderton's video fame spent time in the Tom Jones road band. Just throwing that out there.

Runamok likes this.
  9. Ive met many people that lived locally to where ever i was living at the moment, that would make me not want to take the guitars out of the case. But for known folks, like mentioned earlier, SRV. Saw him up close at a college in Joisey Like I’m at edge of stage, and he is on stage, in a gymnasium, which Is about two feet high. Beginning of his first tour around there. It was just draw dropping. I also took a class with David Bromberg and jorma. Just sitting next to them and seeing and feeling the ease at which they play. No fire works, just smooth steady coolness.

JeffreyLeePierre likes this.
  10. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    In November 1978 I spent a few hours in a Brisbane hotel room with James Burton having a jam with Glenn D Hardin, Jerry Scheff, (also both from Elvis' band) and Herb Pedersen. One of the best experiences of my life to sit on the edge of a hotel room bed and watch an absolute personal idol play just inches away from me.

11. JeffreyLeePierre

JeffreyLeePierre Country Gent

Almost half of the TCB Band, wow!

Unfortunately, the room was too small for you to have the pleasure of the whole Sweet Inspiration's company... :D

audept likes this.
  12. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    Seen Richard Smith up close , just unreal ,and on the same bill was Martin Taylor ,i very nearly give up after that night back in the 90's!
    Albert Lee was another,i was a few feet away from him ,unbelievable !

This is my music teacher from back in the 80s,strangely i never knew he could play guitar like this until years after i left school! He was a great piano player when i was at school but i never seen or heard him play guitar like this !

13. hippdog

hippdog Electromatic

Jul 23, 2013
    NW Arkansas
    I live in NW Arkansas and we have a legendary club here named: George's Majestic Lounge. It is a part of the large club circuit for some really stellar acts. Seats about 250, but usually packs in about 400 with about 100 sitting. The musicians are literally 10' away. So I consider that up close. Some of the acts I've seen: Robben Ford, Eric Johnson (3 times), Johnny Winter, Michael Hedges, (during a break, Michael Hedges did yoga, got into this awkward pose with his legs over his shoulders while standing on his hands, and then he hopped around the stage on his hands quoting from The Jabberwocky. OMG...what is going on?...this was at the club next door...Dave's on Dickson). I've seen hundreds and hundreds of legendary guitarists but the best of the best was probably....take your pick: Jeff Beck, Vince Gill, Marty Stuart. (Jeff Beck is iconic, I know. But Vince and Marty (two different shows) are nothing short of jaw dropping.

14. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    Jeff Beck is a natural. He knows his craft, but there's a natural affinity for the instrument that is beyond explanation. I've heard that, in the early days, he was sloppy about tuning , because he'd just bend to pitch and wasn't about to be bothered with such a trivial matter.

stiv, new6659 and audept like this.
  15. Tonecatpicks

Tonecatpicks Newbie

Apr 9, 2019
    Riverside, Illinois

That reminds me of when I had driven straight through from Chicago to Denver in my beater 1970 Mercedes 300SEL sedan that I had removed most of the interior from because I was picking up a new interior from a guy just west of the city , up in the mountains. After I found a little motel to crash at, I asked the motel guy if there were any clubs nearby. He directed me to this dive bar, but warned me that it does get rough at times. I let him know that I spent four years in the army and don't usually go looking for trouble. When I arrived there was this fellow named Steve Crenshaw laying down some fantastic Stevie/Hendrix/Beck based blues that just went on all night. The guy was fantastic, and on fire that night. What a treat to hear him up close. He had this trick of switching around with the pickup selector to make certain notes really sing, like when he went into an up-bend, he would switch to the bridge but only until he was coming back down from the bend, so just for a second or less, and it really worked perfectly with that style of playing.

The other guy that was just jaw dropping to see was Monte Montgomery. I think he is based in Nashville, or Austin. I supply backline for a honky-tonk in Chicago called Fitzgeralds and Monte's band needed a drum kit, so I got to see the show for free since I was letting them use my '65 Slingerland green sparkle kit. The whole show was amazing. He plays this old Alvarez Yari DY-45 with some custom pickup system and somehow it screams like an old strat. He was just ripping on this blues tune and his fingers are literally flying over the fretboard, and he turns to the audience and, comments, as if he is in disbelief that his hand is its own entity, separate from himself, and says, "That's a lot of guitar", while he keeps zipping around, looking back and forth from the guitar neck to the audience and back. Good stuff.

Just phenomenal talents, both of them.

16. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    He was an excellent player. If you watch TV, listen to classic rock radio or oldies stations chances are you've heard him play.

17. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    Besides that, he was one of the funniest people I ever met.

MTurner likes this.
  18. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    Ahh James Burton - one of my all time favorite players. Absolutely great.
    If you listened to rock radio in the 50s - 70s you've heard James Burton. All those slinky bends gave me cold chills when I was a kid.

audept likes this.
  19. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    Roy Clark, James Burton, Tommy Tedesco, Glen Campbell - all from the same era and all equally great. I feel very lucky I got to listen to them all throughout my lifetime.

audept likes this.
  20. bigjohnbates

bigjohnbates Electromatic

Jun 15, 2011
    Vancouver
    Paul Rigby perhaps? I think he is there with Nico Case now and then

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.