Best guitar wall hangers?

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by audept, Dec 7, 2019.

1. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    I have no experience with guitar wall hangers. Can you guys give me suggestions and advice. It's mounting to a brick/plaster wall. I'd like the guitar to be secured in some way to avoid the energetic cleaning lady brush-off.

2. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I have more than a few Hercules wall hangers for guitar and mandolin. Over brick though I think I would be more inclined to use the slat wall hangers because I think it would take fewer holes and could be more easily affixed to the wall.

Hercules Hangers Slat wall

mrfixitmi likes this.
  3. section2

section2 Country Gent

Dec 21, 2016
    Toronto
    mrfixitmi likes this.
  4. dak55

dak55 Country Gent

May 31, 2018
    Central Florida
    I'm with Bertotti providing you can find something substantial (wood)behind the brick to attach the slat wall to. Hercules hangers are great cuz they lock in the headstock automatically but any hanger is only as good as the weakest link, which is the attachment to the wall. I would recommend this type of fastener to attach the slat wall. They are structurally rated fasteners we use to build decks 30' off the ground and attach roof trusses.
    608309400189.jpg

mrfixitmi, 5120mantis, Merc and 4 others like this.
  5. KuKuKu

KuKuKu Gretschie

Aug 28, 2016
    Germany
    If you have guitars with nitro lacquer, make sure the wall hangers do not damage the finish. I use string swing hangers, they are nitro safe: https://www.stringswing.com/

ishtar, dak55, Merc and 2 others like this.
  6. drmilktruck

drmilktruck I Bleed Orange

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    13D03039-BD73-4BB0-8C74-670F299511F4.jpeg Another vote for Hercules

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 7, 2019
    Jeff67, audept, mrfixitmi and 3 others like this.
  7. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I look at my wall hangers and I just may switch to the slat system when I remodel next time. I don't like looking for individual stuf=ds to hang from and find myself putting up a horizontal board anyway then mounting my hangers to it. I'm lazy and tired of filling holes from screws into my walls.

MotorCentaur and dak55 like this.
  8. dak55

dak55 Country Gent

May 31, 2018
    Central Florida
    You almost have to use horizontal boards since you would have to be lucky and find double studs to catch all the screw points on hangers, or put up a block of wood to attach to the studs and attach the hanger to that which is no different than a horizontal board except in individual pieces. The beauty of the slat wall is you can stagger the heights of the guitars. I opted for horizontal boards, albeit fancy ones, cuz I didn't want that commercial Guitar Center look. Now I do have a big open wall to the left and if my wife would agree to let me use that space, I would go slat wall for sure. I think her fear is I would fill it and I suspect she's correct.;)

imageedit_2_5542414382.jpg

Jeff67, j.s.c, Les Pedals and 3 others like this.
  9. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I have actually considered something like this but enclosed with plexi or glass around it to function as a big humidity-controlled display case.

Slat board, I am considering something like this. Slat Wall Board

Last edited: Dec 7, 2019
    Jeff67, dak55 and drmilktruck like this.
  10. larryb

larryb Gretschified

Oct 29, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    Here is my guitar wall hanger:)
    hug.jpg

Jeff67, drmilktruck, Bertotti and 3 others like this.
  11. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Playing guitar
    String swing for me. I live in earthquake country so the Hercules makes me nervous because the guitar could bounce out. The rubber keeper is sold separate by swing tree

E81BDE51-47FF-43D2-B8DF-6BC410DA02DD.jpeg

12. BatmansGretsch

BatmansGretsch Gretschie

Dec 3, 2019
    Earth
    I will never wall hang a guitar ever again... and yes I think you can guess what happened. My fault.

These all look very good though.

audept likes this.
  13. Scott Fraser

Scott Fraser Country Gent

Jan 14, 2012
    Los Angeles
    I have about 20 Fretrest hangers here, all screwed into a wall which is cinder block behind a layer of sound deadening panel.
    If you're hanging them on drywall, just use toggle bolts (also known as Molly bolts) to hold on to the back of the wallboard. Much easier than trying to locate studs. For attaching to brick, use masonry anchors, which expand into a mounting hole when the screw is inserted & are very solid.

Les Pedals likes this.
  14. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Hercules actually has a lock you can add to the front to stop it from opening or anyone pulling one down without your permission.

radd likes this.
  15. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    I've been using the string swing ones for about 10 years and they've been fine. I may replace them all with Hercules as they are supposedly safe for Martin, and of course I cant have just one hanger looking different.

radd likes this.
  16. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    How the heck would a guitar bounce? A rubber guitar? Mounted in an RV?

17. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    The Best stud finder imo are the rare earth/ strong magnets.

18. musicman100

musicman100 Country Gent

Aug 15, 2008
    England
    802D745A-C8C7-45E5-93A1-C7FADAE92DD7.jpeg
    This works well for me.

T Bone, audept and Bertotti like this.
  19. ishtar

ishtar Country Gent

20. JeffreyLeePierre

JeffreyLeePierre Country Gent

Wow.
    The Mrs would kill me if I'd happen to dare dig a hole in the wall to make a guitar more visible :eek:

j.s.c likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.