best garage sale instrument find

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by catman trio, Mar 16, 2010.

1. cashvillegnats

cashvillegnats Electromatic

Mar 14, 2010
    Florida
    Chopped cord

1991: LV.NV.

Hadn't taken a guitar out of a case in years. Went to a garage sale in response to a .45 Colt auto ad. When I arrived it was gone! While lookin around I noticed some amp sitting face in, packed with pink insulation, on a shelf. When I inquired about it the fellow said it had no power cord since he had cut it off to use on his circular saw.

Before we got it off the shelf and turned around he said he'd take $50 for it "as is". I thought that for the price I could use it as an end table, if nothing else, until I could get to it.

When I got it home and brushed the saw dust off of it the label said: FENDER Vibroluxe Reverb.

A few weeks later I took it to Mahoney's Music to have a new cord installed and to be checked out so it was safe to use.

As I put it on a counter the amp drew attention from nearly every store jockey and I was asked if I wanted to sell it "as is" or trade for a new Peavey that "worked" ? I was offered many times what I had paid and was tempted. But I just wanted a small amp to use so I could sit at home and plunk.

Had them install a new cord while I watched and we fired it up to see if it would work. It lit up and worked fine. Remnants of insulation fluttering out the back!

Last edited: Mar 17, 2010
  2. Jhundt

Jhundt Electromatic

Jun 2, 2008
    Bussum, Netherlands
    I got my '55 Deluxe 5E3 for $50

3. guitarmaker

guitarmaker Synchromatic

Mar 1, 2010
    Oley, PA
    An older fellow who used to work with my dad plays martins. When he was younger, he decided to go into the electric world. This was around 1961 as far as he remembers. One day he asked my dad if I would be interested in an old guitar that he doesn't use anymore. He brought it in and it was one of those cheap Sears guitars. It was in really nice shape though, As though he played it once and set it aside. After a while we figured he must have had an amp to go with it and inquired. He brought it in the next day and it turned out to be a '58 Ampeg Reverberocket.

I know, not a garage sale find but still quite a deal because he gave them both to me.

4. Poppatwang

Poppatwang Synchromatic

Jun 2, 2008
    St. Paul, MN
    Went to a friend's garage sale. She was moving to Ireland. Had her Dad's old
    Gretsch drumset for $300. I talked her up to $400. It had been sitting in a dirt
    floor cellar and the shells were pretty rough. I gave those to a friend who had
    his kit stolen. The keepers for me were a '67 Ludwig Supraphonic snare, Early
    '60s 15" Turkish Zildian hi hats (awesome for recording) on a newer Gibraltar
    hi hat stand. '60s American 22' Zildian crash/ride, Zildian splash,
    Tama kick pedal and assorted hardware.

I could have parted out the Gretsch shells but opted for good deed.
    They were funky khaki MOTS covered. Wish they hadn't been so trashy.

5. JC higgy

JC higgy Gretschified

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    I never found anything worth a **** over here,and when you do, its over priced.

@rustyoltruck,that Rickenbacker is just beautiful!
    The board looks very dark, just like on the first 360/12 that belonged to Suzi Arden.:cool:

6. GentleBen

GentleBen Country Gent

Jul 29, 2008
    Huntsville, Al
    I found my '64 Blackface Bassman in a pawn shop for $80.

Attached Files:

7. charlie chitlins

charlie chitlins Synchromatic

Aug 4, 2008
    near philly
    1960-something SG with OHSC for $80.
    No extra charge for the obligatory crack at the base of the headstock.
    I left it at my parents' house when I was moving around and traveling light and it disappeared.
    I think the little pot-head across the street who was taking care of their cat lifted it.

8. vidiot72

vidiot72 Gretschie

Aug 31, 2009
    Montgomery, Alabama
    A couple of months ago I picked up a Roland Gr-700 synth guitar package up for $200 from a local add. I knew I didn't want it but figured I could probably make a few bucks on it. I stuck it on the bay and got $1,625 for it! The guy called me back a couple of days later and said that he had another one that wasn't in as good of shape so I picked that one up for $125, it's in the shop getting one of the voice chips fixed right now.
    [​IMG]

9. Spike Strider

Spike Strider Gretschie

Dec 28, 2009
    N Idaho
    Around '85, I was on a guitar buying spree and picked up my '63 6120 for $125 at a yard sale. I didn't even know what a Gretsch was, I just thought it looked cool. :D

10. JBennett

JBennett Synchromatic

Jun 12, 2008
    Brooklyn, NY
    "The King would NOT have ridden a 45.
    That's a lady's bike."

Even the King's Lady wouldn't have ridden that bike. She would be more at home on something like...

[​IMG]

11. JBennett

JBennett Synchromatic

Jun 12, 2008
    Brooklyn, NY
  12. don 65

don 65 Electromatic

Dec 11, 2009
    texas
    is it fair if i go to 3000 garage sales a year? bought a prairie state for $16,gibson es 124 tcd for $20 ,late 40's gibson j 50 for $201959 fender musicmaster with original case $100,1956 fender stringmaster double neck with original case for $200, 1980 ovation uk-2 $200,a lot of tube amps. and the 1953 gretsch for $20 and the 65 mustang fastback for $1300. better quit cant name them all

Attached Files:

13. Jukebox

Jukebox Gretschified

Jun 2, 2008
    Foreston,MN
  14. don 65

don 65 Electromatic

Dec 11, 2009
    texas
    this is the mustang but i did restore it 4 years ago

the prairie state guitar was made in the 30's by the larson brothers. kinda rare especally the f hole

Attached Files:

15. Manic

Manic Country Gent

Dec 5, 2009
    I need to get over my dislike of garage sales! There are some deals out there waiting for me!

16. rustyoltruck

rustyoltruck Electromatic

Mar 13, 2010
    kamloops
    New acquisitions:

1) 1949 Alden Commander, Essentially a Harmony H1456 archtop, also sold as a Gretsch 1456

2) 1964 Teisco EP9, Thinline Hollowbody with dual single coils. This guitar is wild, it weighs all of 3.5 lbs. doesn't sound like much, but fun all the same. I'll work on it...Any suggestions for what people out there would consider a cool mod?

Attached Files:

17. HyakuShiki

HyakuShiki Electromatic

Jul 29, 2009
    Nashville
    My guitar teacher told me a little while back that his roommate was picking up a vintage (I think early 60s or 70s) Gibson 335 from a garage sale where he saw it, negotiated with the guy, and got it for I think 1,100.

18. would you believe a '63 split window for $500?

19. gigatron

gigatron Country Gent

Oct 9, 2008
    Slovenia
    I find that hard to believe, Mr Smart.

20. sorry about that, Chief

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.