Best bedroom amp ?

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by UKJB, Jan 14, 2021.

1. svenslim

svenslim Gretschie

Jul 28, 2009
    Göteborg, Sweden
    Orange Crush 12. Got the sound, the power and the looks. Does the job with the knobs it's got. Orange is the new...amp! Amp Orange Crush 12.jpg

hcsterg likes this.
  2. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Gretschified

Oct 18, 2015
    Germany
    This would be my suggestion, too.
    It is dirtcheap, has thousands of tones in it and has a lot of cool features you would not expect from your standard practice-amp.
    But you should already own a newer-generation cell-phone to be able to use it`s many options.

Gregor and Viking Power like this.
  3. Serious? It seems strange to buy a $400+ low wattage amp & to need to replace the speaker. What could the cost differential be to put in a better speaker to begin with?

It does look cool.

4. Viking Power

Viking Power Gretschie

Jun 11, 2018
    Mountlake Terrace, WA
    I was in the market for a bedroom amp a couple of years ago. Ended up purchasing a Princeton RRI. I thought, “only 12 watts, it’s perfect!” Nope. It is not a bedroom amp. It is great and when I can put the volume at more than 2 on the dial it is a treat but it is not designed for low volume playing.
    In summer, 2020, I got a Spark and I have enjoyed it a lot and so have my wife and daughter since my practice playing is at a much more reasonable volume.

Chmason85 likes this.
  5. Telechamp

Telechamp Country Gent

Oct 20, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    Yup - I really love my new THR5!

I use mine in the office, though.

[​IMG]

Chet Harrison likes this.
  6. hcsterg

hcsterg Friend of Fred

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Oh, I should mention the Roland Micro Cube : I wouldn't part with my red one ! My daughter has the black one, and one day, I'll have the white one... :D;)

[​IMG]

A+!

UKJB likes this.
  7. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Hmmm how about one of the small Quilter amps, there is one that is even pedal sized. A lot of guys here have them. I think they may have headphone out but I am not positive.

pmac11 likes this.
  8. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    @Telechamp but that, that's an SG!

Telechamp likes this.
  9. Stefan

Stefan Country Gent

Jan 20, 2016
    Germany
    They‘re only available 2nd hand. Darn cheap, dunno why. They‘re built sturdy and solid and, again, sound like an old vintage amp.

The Warehouse speaker is about 30€, a high efficiency speaker and THE replacement speaker for all those little 8“ combos. It’s loud and proud like a 10“ speaker with that nice american clean.

10. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I wonder how that speaker would work in my JSX Mini, it's biggest downfall is the stock speaker.

11. UKJB

UKJB Electromatic

Jan 11, 2021
    Derby UK
    I've currently got one and I agree I won't be selling it as I love using it with batteries :)

12. DangerousD

DangerousD Electromatic

Oct 15, 2020
    Colorado
    No Blackstar fans? I love this thing. 1 watt, killer tone. Loud enough to irritate the neighbors if so inclined. 20190304_192111 (1).jpg

13. wildeman

wildeman I Bleed Orange

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Blackstar is whats in my bedroom, ID Core 10.

14. wildeman

wildeman I Bleed Orange

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    How's bout a Marshall?? DSL 5c should do.

15. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    On a serious note, I would think just about any amp would do if it has a volume control. All of mine have one and usually, you can turn the amp down so low it makes no sound at all.

Are you looking for a special sound or a physical space limitation? Reverb? Headphone jack? Financial limitation?

Henry likes this.
  16. DangerousD

DangerousD Electromatic

Oct 15, 2020
    Colorado
    Me personally...great crunch and distortion when practicing in my condo. A 100W amp at low volume sounds like crap to me.

Rmccamey and MotorCentaur like this.
  17. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I can say there is some truth to this. I would usually run my 120watt head clean low and with a pedal or two. I could get other sounds from the amp that sounded good but not the same as up and cooking! Nothing compares to baking some tubes!

Telechamp likes this.
  18. drmilktruck

drmilktruck I Bleed Orange

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    I’ll add to the chorus - Positive Grid Spark, all you need and more. Yamaha THR is a second choice.

Viking Power and Gregor like this.
  19. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    True that, but that is an extreme, I think. Depending on the tome you're looking to get most mid-size amps (under 45 watts) can sound pretty nice turned down. Amps like Princetons, small Mesas etc can sound great at very low volumes. Which of course, does not obviate the questions of:

Are you looking for a special sound or a physical space limitation? Reverb? Headphone jack? Financial limitation?

It's difficult to make serious recommendations when you are unsure what the OP actually needs the amp to do.

Maxadur, UKJB and MotorCentaur like this.
  20. Buckyboy

Buckyboy Gretschie

r0de0 and Viking Power like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.