Best bedroom amp ?

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by UKJB, Jan 14, 2021 at 4:01 AM.

1. Gregor

Gregor Synchromatic

Oct 17, 2018
    New Brunswick, Canada
    Another vote for the Spark...great little practice amp with as low a volume as you need, headphones even.

[​IMG]

UKJB and Viking Power like this.
  2. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I guess I am a tube snob. As for the Blackstar some like them, also,
    the Monoprice has been mentioned here before as well. I would much rather have all tube. Personal preference.

For size comparison here are several small amps on or by a 2x12 with a guitar pedal on top and moog foot pedal for volume expression on the bottom for some size reference.
    IMG_1669.jpeg

UKJB likes this.
  3. lathoto

lathoto Gretschie

Apr 23, 2020
    Ohio
    Franklyn 5F2A upgraded with a 12 inch speaker (EVM12L). "You ain't no kind of man if you ain't got 5 watts of pure Class A tweed."

https://www.franklynamps.com/shop

UKJB likes this.
  4. ronbo

ronbo Gretschie

Feb 28, 2012
    Broomfield, Colorado
    A buddy has the THR10 and really loves it. I haven't played it much but it does seem pretty nice. Another friend has the Spark and it really is quite impressive! Lots of sound and tones and effects and stuff and not too hard to get a good tone out of it...If I needed another small amp, I'd get a Spark!

I have a Fender Super Champ X2 that I really like. Quiet enough that it doesn't wake my wife in the late evenings and the effects and amp selectors make it very easy to get good tones out of it also. I had a Mustang III and liked it, but too many options just made me spend too much time finding all the different tones, then could never remember which ones I liked. I can put my pedals in front of the X2 and it sounds like a quiet version of my Supersonic 22, or leave the pedals off and use the onboard effects and it sounds great also.

UKJB likes this.
  5. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    If you want to use earphones, a transistor amp is the best choice. No likely candidates for earphone outs with tube amps. If you must have a tube amp, anything under 15 watts will do. At that point, you need to decide on features, modern or vintage sound, speaker size and so on. That Super Champ is OK, but pricey and has a solid state reverb unlike the Princeton Reverb's tube driven spring. At least a 15 watt amp is gigable, making better use of your financial expenditure. A Mesa TA 15 might be a candidate. Then, there are myriad boutique amps to think about. Vintage 47 or one of Tavo's creations for glorious old school sounds are a thought.

The best advice is to try as many as you possibly can. If you can't take your own guitar everywhere, at least use one you know well, say a Tele or Strat. You can always find a Strat in a pawn shop, tho Tele's seem rarer for some reason. The consistency is what matters.

6. afire

afire Country Gent

A tweed Champ is always the answer to this question. It's the ultimate/classic/original bedroom amp. And you can learn something and have a little fun building one yourself.
    [​IMG]

MotorCentaur, Scott, hcsterg and 2 others like this.
  7. Chmason85

Chmason85 Synchromatic

May 1, 2018
    Philadelphia
    I agree with the tweed blues jr recommendation! I used to have one and had no problem keeping it at a living room volume and getting a good sound. Very pedal friendly and can be had for very cheap. I got my tweed BJ3 for around $400 new as I remember. I actually want to get another one, the mk4. These are killer little amps and tons of mods can be done if you’re into that.

Trash Kidd likes this.
  8. Chmason85

Chmason85 Synchromatic

May 1, 2018
    Philadelphia
    This looks fun! How much are they and what’s the difficulty level?

UKJB likes this.
  9. UKJB

UKJB Electromatic

Jan 11, 2021
    Derby UK
    That looks great !! But I'm in the UK and I can't see that they are available here :(

10. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Friend of Fred

Jan 19, 2012
    Maldon UK
    r0de0, MotorCentaur and hcsterg like this.
  11. pmac11

pmac11 Country Gent

Mar 4, 2018
    Toronto, Ontario
    I've also used the AC30 amplug right into my A/D interface..sounds acceptable. Helps to record clean and add fx afterwards in the DAW.

Londoner likes this.
  12. Randy99CL

Randy99CL Synchromatic

Feb 17, 2020
    Albuquerque
    I'm always the one here to recommend the Fender Mustang LT-25. 25W, one 8" and only $150US (129 pounds at Andertons).

Fantastic modeling amp with tons of presets and memory slots. 20+ amps and 50+ pedals and effects already programmed in. Tuner, headphone jack, aux in and USB in/out for the fantastic Tone PC software that really simplifies modding the presets. Interface built in, you can plug it into your PC and record.
    Sounds great, easy to use, light weight, plenty loud enough for home use.
    Fender Mustang LT25 Guitar Amp - Great New Firmware Improvements! - YouTube

r0de0 and Rock Lajoint like this.
  13. Rock Lajoint

Rock Lajoint Synchromatic

Nov 16, 2014
    Sussex, England
    Yep, I bought one as my Super Champ is too loud for 'bedroom' levels and I'm very happy with it.

14. afire

afire Country Gent

Mojotone's is $575. Weber sells the cheapest kit at $489.

Pretty darned easy. This is all there is to it:
    [​IMG]
    If you can solder and follow instructions, you can definitely do it. Mojotone has a manual you can look over here, but I'll say it goes into so much detail that it kind of makes it seem more complicated than it really is. But, I suppose it's good to have in case you ever find yourself questioning something.

My first build was a Marshall 18 watt clone, and not something I would recommend as a starting point.
    [​IMG]
    You will have no trouble starting with a tweed Champ.

15. Duo Slinger

Duo Slinger Gretschie

Sep 11, 2020
    California, USA
    Left field suggestion here, but I own an Orange Micro Dark, and it works pretty well. 20 watts, hybrid head, 8 inch speaker. It sounds pretty good, and it let's the sound of my G5420 really speak for itself. When I put it on low gain, and move the "shape" nob to the right it goes into this sparkly, Vox-y sound, and it sounds just like Tom Petty. Turn to the left, you get twangy Fender. And when you up the gain (it goes pretty high... who says you can't play metal with a hollowbody) you get pure, heavy metal madness. Also, it's pretty cheap, 100 for the cab, 150 (ish) for the head.

MotorCentaur likes this.
  16. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    I prefer one of my old Fender Bassman amps but recognizing this is a bedroom amp, I would go with a 2x10" cab, not the 2x12".

Just kidding... well... maybe.

UKJB likes this.
  17. toddfan

toddfan Synchromatic

Mar 12, 2012
    Kansas
    Isn't size always an issue in the bedroom? :rolleyes:

18. David_GS

David_GS Electromatic

Oct 16, 2020
    Toronto
    I'm going to vote for the Spark as well. I love it, it's a great piece of gear. The app is fantastic I bought it used from an older gigging musician who said he preferred his normal setup and pedals, which I get, but it's perfect for me, doubles as a bluetooth speaker, looks sharp. Not everything works perfectly (i.e. - the song transcription isn't great but if you know the song, it's great to play along with).
    IMG_9828.jpeg

Viking Power likes this.
  19. Stefan

Stefan Country Gent

Jan 20, 2016
    Germany
    A 1o watter is everything but a bedroom amp!

5 watts, all tube, great tone, cool look:

8AAB4DF1-3074-46B2-BA71-C7673AC6080A.jpeg
    Swap the speaker for a Warehouse G8C and this amp sounds like a vintage champ.

hcsterg likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.