Best Amp for Gretsch-y Blues?

D3sperado

Electromatic
Sep 1, 2022
Chicago
Hey fellow guitarists! I just bought my first Gretsch (post in Electromatic thread) and I’m looking to upgrade my amp. I’ve always played through a Vox AC4 with my Fender strat, but I’m starting a rock band and looking to go to blues jams with my new Gretsch. What’s a budget-friendly amp that can hold its own on stage and bring out that great Gretsch sound?

Slap_Back

Electromatic
Nov 30, 2021
NC
First thing that comes to mind is the Fender Deluxe Reverb Reissue. They're somewhat ubiquitous for a reason. 22 watts, 12 inch speaker, tremolo, and reverb. You can get the tube powered one or the solid state which is a little cheaper and lighter.

Or, if you want to stick with Vox, there's the AC 30. I just saw one on Reverb here.

NJDevil

Country Gent
Jul 9, 2014
Commack, NY
Hey fellow guitarists! I just bought my first Gretsch (post in Electromatic thread) and I’m looking to upgrade my amp. I’ve always played through a Vox AC4 with my Fender strat, but I’m starting a rock band and looking to go to blues jams with my new Gretsch. What’s a budget-friendly amp that can hold its own on stage and bring out that great Gretsch sound?
I want reliability so that kills my using a tube amp....yeah, people will say there is nothing to worry about but using a solid state is one less thing to worry about. I'd love a small tube amp for home use.

My recommendation is a Roland Blues Cube Artist. I really love the tone and is fantastic with both of my Gretsches. It has a decent reverb, not so great 2nd channel for overdrive but is nice for "light dirt" and a great built in tremolo.

The tone is key, bringing out the clean Gretsch goodness with depth of tone. I also love the built-in attenuator which has 4 different setting at 80W, 45, 15W,and .5......it retains the tone you might like at louder volumes when dialing in at .5W......and even at .5 W it gets loud. Great amp w/ an FX loop. Great tone and really gets very bluesy.

@Slap_Back had a great suggestion too with Fender option and also has an attenuator for the solid state combo.

Emergence

Synchromatic
Gold Supporting Member
May 25, 2022
New York
Best amp for Gretschy blues?

How much do you want to spend? Put that in a separate wallet. Bring your #1 Gretsch with you and go out and try out amps. Resolve not to spend more than you put away. You’ll find one. You’ll probably be surprised. After you've found the perfect amp for your Gretschy blues, negotiate the price down. Bring your amp home and use the money remaining in that second wallet to take your sweetheart out for a dinner in a restaurant with table cloths.

wabash slim

I Bleed Orange
Feb 10, 2010
lafayette in
Hi. How's it goin'?
Welcome to the asylum.
As advised above, try out as many amps as you can. You should be able to get by with 15-20 watts or so as a PA can always mike your amp. Old Supro, Valco, Gibson and Gretsch amps will have octal tubes which are the secret to that old school Blues tone. Nocturne pedals (Tavo Vega, a member here) makes a pedal that can deliver that sound for you from almost any amp.
A Fender Deluxe Reverb is a great clean amp that accepts pedals easily. It's 22 watts and can hold its own in most band situations. m The 15 watt Blues Junior is a great choice as well.

A lot of the sound will depend on you, how you tune the amp, how you play the guitar. It's not the gear but the musician that counts in the end. You're going to find that it's a seemingly neverending search. The hunt for "The Sound" is something we all go thru.

Last edited:

GAMBLER1234

Gretschie
Jan 18, 2018
Henderson Nevada
You can get them used for right around the price of dinner for four.

AL9nZEWiNKt5nNqPWptbiJcunHcIp1a-xCnr6RZSJhD-t5oZbrs0xy55vKCcowFB3-wQ4T7WS-MUDzDAAfBW1bBmpaICE1DXFbSTZx0Lx_827Objl_VAdPH-IHa1lKZKrNtogTOKkZSNMmMbH3RSu3cwWD7V=w1150-h952-no

sgarnett

Country Gent
Apr 14, 2020
Kentucky
Hi. How's it goin'?
Welcome to the asylum.
As advised above, try out as many amps as you can. You should be able to get by with 15-20 watts or so as a PA can always mike your amp. Old Supro, Valco, Gibson and Gretsch amps will have octal tubes which are the secret to that old school Blues tone. Nocturne pedals (Tavo Vega, a member here) makes a pedal that can deliver that sound for you from almost any amp.
A Fender Deluxe Reverb is a great clean amp that accepts pedals easily. It's 22 watts and can hold its own in most band situations.

A lot of the sound will depend on you, how you tune the amp, how you play the guitar. It's not the gear but the musician that counts in the end. You're going to find that it's a seemingly neverending search. The hunt for "The Sound" is something we all go thru.
Yeah, the Nocturne El Pescadero is a great sounding pedal for blues.

TV the Wired Turtle

Gretschified
Jul 25, 2009
Sandy Eggo
you'd be very surprised by a Vox Pathfinder 15R. They have boost mode, Reverb and Tremelo. All analog solid state. I would have never paid attention but my friend Kid Ramos
will bring a couple to coffeehouse gigs. So I grabbed a used one for $150.. holy moly what a great amp w a good amount of power. I thought I'd be swapping out the speaker, but
that little celestion actually has some strength and tone, especially with a good preamp pedal in front of it. I mean, $150.. Most of my tube amps start at $2000. I think moving to a Vox AC10 is the next step toward tube, w reverb and sounds very good for an econo amp. I hope I get to hang onto my AC30 handwire, even though its on the firing line.. but if I cant, I'll get a Vox AC10 to help the wound :) Until then, this little secret amp is stayin forever. (even sounds good w our korg sv-1 stage piano)

Byron

Country Gent
Sep 4, 2009
uk
Danelectro Nifty Fifty is a surprising little fellah. Avoid the drive, keep it low and turn the amp up. Real old amp sound and can't believe how loud it gets

Latest posts