Belated NGD week

Discussion in 'Other Cool Guitars' started by Merc, May 7, 2021.

1. Merc

Merc Friend of Fred

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    Maybe no surprise to those who pay attention, I picked up another Offset.

E57C0A01-A7D9-496C-AF81-7AC9FA9A373F.jpeg

This one is a 75th anniversary made for the Japanese market. It has a very comfy U neck. Haven’t weighed it but it feels very light for a Jazzmaster body. I was torn between Olympic White and Daphne Blue. Then it dawned on me I could change the look of this guitar more easily with different pickguards. Maybe it’ll control some future GAS, maybe not… lol.

It has what looks to be some sort of locking vintage tuners that lock from on top with a screw driver maybe. I didn’t realize Fender had these out and will see how we get along.

Only downside is the lousy bum that shipped it from Japan didn’t add enough bubble wrap inside the box. So it wasn’t well protected and jiggled around. That gave it a very small indent on the rear body.

3AE5397D-0D06-4007-913B-3B551378BACA.jpeg

And I noticed the neck pickup height looked odd. Peaked inside and the pickup plate is broken. Anyone know if you can replace the plate easily?

267471B6-95FC-4DFE-BBAB-664284677DB6.jpeg

If it were stateside I would send it back for an exchange. But I ended up getting $150 back for said damage. Which honestly works better than paying shipping back to Japan for an exchange. I had thought about making it into a Nashville setup at some point, so I can put the money towards that pickup set too. Aside from the damage it feels great. The body resonates really well too.

Thanks for taking the time to read.

Last edited: May 7, 2021
  2. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Friend of Fred

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    Very cool.
    Sucks there was some damage, but sounds like it could’ve been worse.

Next you need an offset Esquire!

Merc likes this.
  3. Sid Nitzerglobin

Sid Nitzerglobin Country Gent

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    Very cool, congrats!

Bummer about the ding, but at least it's on the back.

Merc likes this.
  4. Merc

Merc Friend of Fred

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    Thanks. Despite the damage I can tell I’m going to get along well with this one for the neck and resonance.

I know it could’ve been way more fatale. It blows my mind how people fail to pack guitars well. Haha… Esquire would’ve been a safer bet.

5. Merc

Merc Friend of Fred

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    Thank you. That’s true indeed. I’m fortunate with the location for sure. I’ll likely forget it’s there since it’s on the rear bottom. I wish Fender would always offer these Japanese models world wide.

Sid Nitzerglobin likes this.
  6. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    Congrats. Sweet looking git.

Enjoy

Merc likes this.
  7. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Nice, this is actually the kind of tele I am considering.

Ricochet and Merc like this.
  8. JC higgy

JC higgy Gretschified

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    That is class,congrats Merc!:cool:

Merc likes this.
  9. AZBrahma

AZBrahma Gretschie

Dec 18, 2020
    Arizona
    Nice!

The pickup base plate is probably part of the bobbin, so the short answer is no, you likely can't replace it. But there are myriad adhesives out there that should get you back up and running in minutes.

Ricochet, new6659 and Merc like this.
  10. juks

juks Synchromatic

Nov 26, 2020
    Fremont, California
    Looks great, sorry about the damage.

Merc likes this.
  11. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa Cruz
    That was my thought. Epoxy or something like should work.

Good looking offset

Merc likes this.
  12. Merc

Merc Friend of Fred

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    Thanks for the idea @AZBrahma and @radd . If no one else suggests anything specific I’ll do some research on epoxy. They actually sound very good for stock. Once it’s epoxied I’ll move them into my Squire.

13. Merc

Merc Friend of Fred

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    Thank you.

There's a few options out there if you’re picky on necks. They had a Limited run in 2017 which I think was part of the magnificent 7 and a modern C neck. And a few other FSR’s as well that have had a Modern Deep C. This years Japanese run is Daphne Blue, Olympic White, Fiesta Red, and Butterscotch I think. This ones a nice thicker U shape. The specs are below. I can tell the poly is fairly thin by looking at the string through on the back where I can see the thickness which is nice. That combined with the neck thickness might explain why this one resonates so well.
    85298F83-0A37-4B30-9166-22BEF47019C5.png

Henry and audept like this.
  14. Merc

Merc Friend of Fred

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    @Henry

Also, although it states Vintage style tuners, these are definitely locking. I’m not sure which brand. They resemble the Gotoh and lock the same way.

9AEF8A89-35B9-44B3-ABCF-40A58F4A4565.jpeg

FA8DE10B-FC74-48B1-90E7-40FDEE4065E1.png

thunder58 and Henry like this.
  15. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Lovely guitar, @Merc congrats!

Merc likes this.
  16. new6659

new6659 Country Gent

I can understand why you like those guitars - they look great and should play great as well. Sorry to hear it was knocked around a bit.

Merc likes this.
  17. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Congrats, great looking guitar!

Merc likes this.
  18. Archtops

Archtops Synchromatic

Mar 4, 2021
    SoCal
    Very nice guitar Merc. I think you could repair that dent with the drop fill method. Then scrape flat with a taped razor blade. Finish off with polishing sandpaper.

Merc likes this.
  19. scrimmer

scrimmer Electromatic

Apr 6, 2019
    North Carolina
    Nice score.
    Great looking git there!

Merc likes this.
  20. Merc

Merc Friend of Fred

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    That’s actually a good idea, thank you. I’ve watched a few YT videos of that technique in the past and it looks easy enough. It’d at least prevent the indented poly from falling off at some point. Better than becoming a more in your face chip.

Archtops likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.