Before getting the G2420T

MulaboXL

Electromatic
Jun 3, 2022
Singapore
Hi all. I'm new here and nice to meet you all.

I have the G2420T in cart and am about to pull the trigger! Just want to get some things ready for the dreaded tuning issues I've read about on this forum due to the Bigsby and would like to order a few things beforehand.

Has anyone swapped out the stock nut with a tusq (graphtech) one on their 2420T? If yes which one and was there much filing to be done?

I read also that there is a debate on roller bridge or no roller bridge - But any recommendation on one that is not too expensive would be great. Especially one that is drop in. Just want to get stuff done by myself.

Any info appreciated!

Thanks

MrWookiee

Country Gent
Jun 17, 2020
SoCal, USA
I have a Black Tusq nut on my 2627T, as well as a String Butler, cheapo roller bridge, squishy spring, and a Biggs Fix. (Been remiss in posting some of the upgrades.)
All work great, but the combination is sublime.
Musiclily Pro Roller Saddles...

bagpiper

Electromatic
Mar 21, 2022
Baltimore MD
Never had a lick of trouble from my 2420, I am really surprised how good this guitar at the listed price point.
I bought mine from Guitar Center online, used- saved some loot and it came ready to rock.
Have fun,
Wayne

LesB3

Gretschie
Aug 17, 2021
Philadelphia, PA
Honestly, I've got at least 15 guitars with Bigsbys on them, and I've rarely had tuning issues. The exception was an SG that I added a B5 / Vibramate to... wouldnt stay in tune no matter what. My 2627T was a bit better, but would still go out of tune after a song's worth of wiggle.

Fixed both with this (and put it on my other guitars just for S&G's):
D'Addario Lubrikit

Just one drop per nut slot and one drop per string on the bridge and thats all it took!
$12 per tube, good for at least 20 guitars. Much cheaper than replacing nuts, tuners, or bridges.

dspellman

Gretschie
Jul 4, 2020
Los Angeles
Get it home and play it first.
I bought mine used at the local GC and have been very pleasantly surprised at how good it was.
I remember now why I hate Bigsbys (restringing it reminded me), but since I don't use it much on this guitar, it's only an issue now and again. No tuning issues so far. I've had it several months and I'll wait until I really notice a problem before tossing money at the guitar.

Country Member

Electromatic
Aug 20, 2014
Australia
If it helps, I had a 5622 with a Bigsby and it never stayed in tune very well compared to other Bigsby equipped guitars I have, but here's how I stabilised it. I installed locking Gotoh tuners, replaced the bridge with Stew Mac roller bridge, and worked on the nut with nut files and then lubricated the slots by shaving some 4B pencil led with a razor blade into the slots... no more problems. This is all very straightforward and not time-consuming to do, but you might want to have a tech do the nut and bridge work.

tolm

Gretschie
Jan 25, 2016
UK
Does that guitar have a B6 or a B7 style Bigsby? i.e. with the tension roller or not?

In my experience, Bigsby’s WITHOUT the tension roller (B3, B6) seem to have better tuning stability - and a smoother feel - than those with (B5, B7) but I’ve generally always managed with just pencil lead in the nut slots / bridge saddles regardless of model.

MulaboXL

Electromatic
Jun 3, 2022
Singapore
Does that guitar have a B6 or a B7 style Bigsby? i.e. with the tension roller or not?

In my experience, Bigsby’s WITHOUT the tension roller (B3, B6) seem to have better tuning stability - and a smoother feel - than those with (B5, B7) but I’ve generally always managed with just pencil lead in the nut slots / bridge saddles regardless of model.
Hey @tolm Thanks for the reply. It's a B50. and it does not have the tension roller. Looks like pencil lead is the charm.

MulaboXL

Electromatic
Jun 3, 2022
Singapore
If it helps, I had a 5622 with a Bigsby and it never stayed in tune very well compared to other Bigsby equipped guitars I have, but here's how I stabilised it. I installed locking Gotoh tuners, replaced the bridge with Stew Mac roller bridge, and worked on the nut with nut files and then lubricated the slots by shaving some 4B pencil led with a razor blade into the slots... no more problems. This is all very straightforward and not time-consuming to do, but you might want to have a tech do the nut and bridge work.
Thanks for your reply... So many people mentioned pencil lead... Will definitely keep that in mind.

wabash slim

I Bleed Orange
Feb 10, 2010
lafayette in
Graphite the string slots (pencil lead basically---great all-around lubricant that isn't oil). We'd use graphite in things as diverse as locks, projectors, and carbon arc gears.
Bridge wise, go to a Compton or Tru-Arc. One piece, no rattles, great tone response.
Try the guitar out before you start fixing things and throwing money at it. I don't have an issue with a Bigsby---the issues are usually from the nut slots.

tmcq65

Gretschie
Nov 10, 2021
Eastern Tennessee
I'm going to echo what most are saying here....I did replace my bridge, but that was more of a buzz issue than tuning. All mine required was opening up the G string slot a little bit, and the #2 pencil lube. Stays in tune wonderfully.

Latest posts