Been on a pedal binge

Discussion in 'Pedal Pushers Forum' started by Pine Apple Slim, Aug 23, 2021.

1. Pine Apple Slim

Pine Apple Slim Country Gent

Dec 14, 2011
    North Alabama
    Way Huge Blue Hippo and Russian Pickle, in the Smalls format, which is close to regular pedal size, a bit smaller but bigger than a minipedal-I decided I like chorus sometimes, and vibrato even more. Also decided its time to try a muff style fuzz. They came yesterday, today I'll try em out.
    EQD Plumes-Came Saturday. Never had a TS type. Now I do. Its ok, but right now I prefer my nice smooth sounding Nobles. But it could replace a BD2 or OD3 for my mostly always on low gain pedal. We'll see.
    JHS Tidy Whitey-I've been using a Diamond Jr optical, but wanted to try a more traditional Ross style with a blend knob. Its supposed to arrive today.
    Mooer Elec Lady-Never had a flanger before. Supposedly arriving today. Will see if I like it.

For another side project:
    I also got 4 more little Amazon cheapo mini pedals . A muff type, a delay/ reverb with some fancier ambient style settings, a vibe, a chorus, and 2nd buffer. This brings my cheap mini pedal collection up to 12-14 pedals. I'm putting together a "huge" cheapo mini pedal board that will run wet/dry just for fun. Because Im bored I guess, but the idea is a small footprint "big" board to take out with a couple of small amps.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2021
  2. Ricochet

Ricochet Senior Gretsch-Talker

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Congrats, It’s way too easy to get something good for little money these days!

Pine Apple Slim likes this.
  3. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Noting like a MNPBD ( Multi New Pedal Binge Day ) Congrats

4. salvatore

salvatore Gretschie

Nov 29, 2017
    Durham, NC
    Me, too, these last several weeks.

I’m interested in preamp , EQ, and very subtle, defined overdrive pedals.

I picked up a Chase Tone “ Secret Preamp” , a Danelectro “Fish & Chips” EQ , and a Greer Amps “ Ghetto Stomp”.
    I am very pleased with all three. All as advertised and priced competitively.

My next pedal will be a Suhr “ Koji Comp Compressor”. I really like the features on this model.

GlenP and Pine Apple Slim like this.
  5. NJDevil

NJDevil Country Gent

Jul 9, 2014
    Commack, NY
    Looking at compressor pedals right now and the JHS Tidy Whitey is in the mix. I'm learning quickly that all compressors are not created the same so really trying to find the one to match the tones in my head........although this is probably never going to happen as I need some drive pedals first and look at the BD-2 as a "must have" and some other overdrive/clean dumble steel string-type boosts/maybe bluesbreaker -type emulators.

But for compressors? I'm thinking the safest bet is the Keeley Compressor Plus at $130....their larger model might be overkill at north of $300......Origin Effects Cali76 is a favorite but at $330 might never happen. Some other intriguing options include Boss CP-1X, FoxGear Squeeze, Wampler Ego, Strymon OB-1, and the PC 2-A Tube Compressor by Electrode.

pmac11 and GlenP like this.
  6. GlenP

GlenP Country Gent

Jul 23, 2019
    WA
    pmac11 likes this.
  7. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    Sandy Eggo
    I just bought the Strymon Zelzah and yes I've been on a bender too

J Bird likes this.
  8. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Very cool and I understand the binge. Why is it that a person can go years with not desire to buy them one day decide you want or need a pedal and tue next thing you know there are a half dozen or more new ones gracing your home? Boggles my mind, but I’m not complaining! Enjoy!

9. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I always thought Diamond was supposed to be he Bee’s Knees! I wonder what the actual difference will be when you get this other one.

10. GlenP

GlenP Country Gent

Jul 23, 2019
    WA
    For a long time I had one of those Digitech RP- digital multi effects allinone boards, but I never really mastered it, so I started building up a collection of individual pedals to replace it, it started with a Tube Screamer and just exploded from there.

for my acoustic gigs I mainly stick with just a stereo chorus but also found my new Ernie Ball combination Volume/Tuner to be very useful when I can’t see the display any of my headstock clip on tuners in bright sunlight outdoors. That pedal tuner has been really handy.

11. Pine Apple Slim

Pine Apple Slim Country Gent

Dec 14, 2011
    North Alabama
    The Diamond Jr is indeed a very good subtle compressor. Comp is something I need occasionally but not always. The Diamond, even in the Jr size, is still a pretty big pedal. The Tidy Whitey is less subtle w/ more squish if desired for funk, big sustained leads, or chicken pickin. Its more of a Ross type reminiscent of my old Dyna Comp. But.... the blend knob lets you dial it in way more subtly to get close to the same effect I was using the Diamond Jr for. Which was mainly just smoothing out things a bit for fingerpicking. Plus the footprint is way smaller, lets me fit an extra pedal on the board. So far that's the main advantage I can see with it.

Bertotti likes this.
  12. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Congrats - look like a lot of fun. Yea I've been on a bit of a binge too. Ordered 3 pedals in the last month, one is pre-ordered - will do a NPD soon. And new pedalboard and wiring as well. Waiting for the last bits to come in and will probably re wire this weekend. My wife has caught me too many times taking measurements of my pedals and board!

pmac11 likes this.
  13. pmac11

pmac11 Country Gent

Mar 4, 2018
    Toronto, Ontario
    The Keeley Compressor Plus is a great addition to any board. Big value for the money. That being said, I'm also curious about the Cali76...is it 2.5x better than the Keeley? And if so, what would that sound like?

NJDevil likes this.
  14. OzzPocket

OzzPocket Synchromatic

Aug 11, 2020
    NYS
    Is there really any better kind of binge? ;-) I keep looking at compressors, as well....the two I keep coming back to are the Keeley Compressor Plus, and the Wampler Ego.....just haven't been able to make myself pull the trigger, yet.

15. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    I've bought a few this year:

- Dawner Prince Pulse rotary emulation
    - Aion Andromeda
    - Nobels ODR-1 Mini
    - DCW Zaza (Zendrive)
    - Boss Waza DM2
    - Cmat Signa Drive

16. rcboals

rcboals Country Gent

Nov 21, 2008
    Springfield Oregon
    You are so right.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2021
    Ricochet likes this.
  17. NJDevil

NJDevil Country Gent

Jul 9, 2014
    Commack, NY
    The Keeley has received a ton of praise while the Cali76 has fallen in to a bit of obscurity.....the Cali without a doubt quality but the price point is not very welcoming. Now that every "category" has a ton of options, even needing a compressor is not completely transparent for why a player may think they need one.

With good headphones and a dynamic demo, youtube really can help dial in a focus of any pedal's ability. Even with the same "type", one compressor pedal does not ensure that it delivers the same dynamic as another compressor....or reverb, or overdrive, distortion, etc.....

Not so long ago, I would've pulled the trigger on a Vertex Steel String Supreme. I have recently put it on hold to take into consideration other pedals that might be the equal, and better, of what I'm looking for. King Tone's The Duellist, Blues Power....then add Protein by Browne Amplification in the mix....maybe less expensive options like Pantheon by Wampler and "Bluesbreaker-type" pedals, and more. Now there is a greater ability for the market place, via massive amount of different tools, to sell us something that we were not quite looking for and replace the focus to spend more on more "tools".

pmac11 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.