Bedroom volume amp paired with HS Filtertrons?

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by Shadowy_Man, Jun 8, 2020.

1. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Friend of Fred

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
    Shadowy_Man likes this.
  2. afire

afire Country Gent

Shadowy_Man likes this.
  3. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Shadowy_Man likes this.
  4. Shadowy_Man

Shadowy_Man Electromatic

May 18, 2020
    Chicago
    So unfortunately I didn't have the budget I had hoped for. I ended up with a Super Champ X2 cab and head, which I hope will serve me well.

Thanks everyone for your help!

5. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    That’s a nice little unit.

Jena and Shadowy_Man like this.
  6. Seeking a NAD incoming, as the Gretsch southpaw mods coming together, fwiw . . .

I've had one . . . Vox first to come to mind for me . . .
    the kids and karaoke adults loved the mic input to sing along at (living room/home Christmas) parties - LOL

Very cool 'tube. Thanks.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2020
  7. DougWheeler74

DougWheeler74 Gretschie

Jul 10, 2019
    NE Wisconsin
    The Superchamp X2 is a nice amp. I had one, swapped the speakers but didn't like the results. I then got 'New Guitar Fever' and traded it in for my Gretsch. There are days I wish I had it back but I wouldn't give up my Gretsch for that. Lotta nice sounds in that box.

Shadowy_Man and Jena like this.
  8. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I know I’ve said this before but a bedroom amp doesn’t have to be a small amp. I routinely use my half stack at low volumes as well as the night rain or xxx combo. Yes the Nocturne Baby Blondeshell sounds great but I just hate to see people limit themselves to a small 8” 5 watt amp when the choices are much more diverse! I always tell people make a list of your desires then find the amp.
    What tone, what weight, any features that are desires or must haves. Those things will limit your choices to what you want and like not just hey it’s five watts I think I can make it work. Personally I hate 8” speakers and I do have a small combo with one that I do use but it sounds much better through a 1x12. I have never tried a 10” but have been told you can get a nice punchy 10”. My .02c

9. Shadowy_Man

Shadowy_Man Electromatic

May 18, 2020
    Chicago
    So I have had the Super Champ x2 for about week. Honestly using just the stock external controls I was super disappointed. I couldn't get a sound I liked. BUT getting into the software I was able to tweak it to get some really nice sounds. Especially critical is the ability to control sag and mid controls. However I'm wondering if I might have done just as well with a Mustang III or one of the newer GTX series. Oh well!

10. YouFellowRebels

YouFellowRebels Gretschie

Jun 17, 2020
    Minnesota
    In the same vein I love my Bad Cat Cougar 5 if you can find one used. My friend who builds amps for a living was impressed with it when he did a repair on it. It’s the AC4 with a bit more fullness in my opinion, and a better stock speaker.

11. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Friend of Fred

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
    Someone from another forum was able to retrofit---without modifications---a Celestion Blue speaker to the AC4C1-12.

upload_2020-6-24_11-15-37.jpeg

YouFellowRebels likes this.
  12. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    I agree. A 12AY7 in the preamp will reduce the gain of many amps and make them “come in” at a lower volume. The same tube substitution will usually give you greater clean headroom, as well.

A small amp driving a big speaker cabinet can be interesting. In many cases, those big speakers are actually more efficient than small speakers, so a small amp may be good for a few extra dB, when played through a larger cabinet.

Bertotti likes this.
  13. xtcclassic

xtcclassic Gretschie

Jan 9, 2019
    Missouri
    I recently purchased a Tweaker 15w head and 112x cab. GREAT amp, especially with upgraded tubes, but still loud as hell (at least when it’s in its sweet spot with the master around 1:00).

Shadowy_Man likes this.
  14. Blue_Ghost

Blue_Ghost Electromatic

Jun 28, 2020
    Washington
    Had a Princeton reverb when I had my 5120 a bunch of years ago...freaking awesome sound...reissues less than 1000$ new

15. bhatta

bhatta Electromatic

Jun 29, 2020
    Bangalore
    Blues Jr gets my vote too.. it's a great amp for cleans and nice breakup when cranked. Blackstar 1w, I think HT1 it's called, that's a nice one too

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.