Bedroom volume amp paired with HS Filtertrons?

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by Shadowy_Man, Jun 8, 2020.

1. Shadowy_Man

Shadowy_Man Electromatic

May 18, 2020
    Chicago
    Hey guys, thought I would pick your Gretschy brains.

I'm in the market for a new amp, anywhere from $500 to maybe $1000 at most. Playing a G5420T with HS Filters currently.

BUT 99.9% of the time it's going to be just me playing in the house, at reasonable volume. It doesn't have to be whisper quiet, but not enough to shake the house (playing in the basement).

I've had a Fender Mustang for a while, which has been okay. Volume is fine, it took a lot of tweaking to find a tone I like. Basically I use the Deluxe Reverb on it and play with the advanced bias settings and such, and also crank the mids (only available through the software interface).

With the Mustang I still find myself compensating with mid-boosting preamp pedals. But the tweed/blonde models don't sound so great to me (Bassman, etc), although of course the real deal tweed/blonde amps have a great sound.

Typically I almost always play clean with just a bit of breakup. I've been considering the following:

1) Fender Blues Junior IV (I've heard IV has improved clean tone, less boxy)
    2) Super Champ X2, possibly the head with a 12" cab
    3) Fender Tone Master Deluxe Reverb

I know the second two options can sound good at low volume, not sure about the Blues Junior.

The Tonemaster has some really good power level switching options that seem ideal for home use, and I like the simple interface, but again I'd probably be compensating a lot for lack of mids with pedals.

Right now I'm playing a mix of rockabilly and jazz and a bit of 50s country.

Typically I like Fender sounds more than something like Vox or Marshall.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Last edited: Jun 8, 2020
  2. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Try out a Princeton Reverb.

3. Trash Kidd

Trash Kidd Country Gent

Dec 14, 2015
    London U.K.
    The Fender Deluxe Reverb Tone Master does sound like it fits the bill for what you’re after.
    I’m very pleased with mine. The built in attenuator is like notched master volume.
    Can go from getting a great sound at bedroom levels right up to full gig volume at the full 22watts. Light as a feather to carry & XLR for recording/PA.
    I’ve also got a Tweed Blues Junior III which I love. I gigged this amp for nearly 2 years & never thought it sounded boxy mic’d or un mic’d..

calebaaron666 likes this.
  4. Shadowy_Man

Shadowy_Man Electromatic

May 18, 2020
    Chicago
    Thanks for your thoughts! Would you say the Blues Junior does well at bedroom volumes, or is it too loud for that?

Chmason85 and Trash Kidd like this.
  5. Shadowy_Man

Shadowy_Man Electromatic

May 18, 2020
    Chicago
    Thanks, I'll do some research!

Edit: sounds pretty good here!

6. Trash Kidd

Trash Kidd Country Gent

Dec 14, 2015
    London U.K.
    You can get a pretty good sound at bedroom level with the Blues Jnr.. But cranked to get natural amp break up/overdrive they do get pretty loud.
    A nice clean sound. I’ve still got mine & it’s a keeper..

new6659 and Shadowy_Man like this.
  7. Shadowy_Man

Shadowy_Man Electromatic

May 18, 2020
    Chicago
    Thanks, good to know. Sounds like it would be pretty decent at home, but perhaps never used to its full potential?

Trash Kidd likes this.
  8. Trash Kidd

Trash Kidd Country Gent

Dec 14, 2015
    London U.K.
    Sure! These little 15watters are loud!!!

9. Shadowy_Man

Shadowy_Man Electromatic

May 18, 2020
    Chicago
  10. BohemianLikeMe

BohemianLikeMe Gretschie

Apr 18, 2020
    Prague, CZ
    This would be my vote, especially since I’d imagine the newer quasi-reissues go for around OP’s budget. The vintage modified new ones also break up way sooner, if you want something that gets dirty too.

Chmason85 likes this.
  11. afire

afire Country Gent

I thought Princeton Reverb was a good suggestion too.

12. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Friend of Fred

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
  13. BohemianLikeMe

BohemianLikeMe Gretschie

Apr 18, 2020
    Prague, CZ
    I’ve got one, and I gotta say, it’s been struggling a bit with my newly acquired 6120 (NGD thread soon!) but that might be user error, since I’ve never had a guitar that’s as particular about pickup height as this one. :D

Jena and ZackyDog like this.
  14. BFTmarshall

BFTmarshall Gretschie

Jan 12, 2020
    York
  15. afire

afire Country Gent

That was the first thing that popped into my head, but the amps listed by the OP suggest (to me, anyway) that he's looking for a little more power.

16. Shadowy_Man

Shadowy_Man Electromatic

May 18, 2020
    Chicago
    Not so much more power, I just prefer a Fender-esque tonality.

17. Shadowy_Man

Shadowy_Man Electromatic

May 18, 2020
    Chicago
    Jena likes this.
  18. BohemianLikeMe

BohemianLikeMe Gretschie

Apr 18, 2020
    Prague, CZ
    I could be wrong, but I’m pretty sure they’re mostly the same amp, just with some circuit tweaks to make the 15watt 12” one put out a bit more headroom.

Shadowy_Man likes this.
  19. Chmason85

Chmason85 Gretschie

May 1, 2018
    Philadelphia
    I had a tweed blues Jr III and it was perfect at low volume, I almost want to get one again because it has master volume and a fat boost switch. I now have a 68 custom Princeton which is in a different league but has to be cranked to get any dirt. I vote blues Jr for you!

new6659 and Shadowy_Man like this.
  20. Chmason85

Chmason85 Gretschie

May 1, 2018
    Philadelphia
    On second thought, though, you said you only play with a little bit of dirt so I’d actually say go for the Princeton. It’s honestly my favorite amp I’ve ever had, especially paired with my Duo Jet. It does get LOUD! Don’t be fooled by it only being 12 watts

Shadowy_Man likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.