Battery amp?

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by Jelly Roll Horton, May 25, 2021.

1. Jelly Roll Horton

Jelly Roll Horton Country Gent

Nov 10, 2017
    Portland, OR
    Thinking about an easily portable battery amp for small space jams. What do you suggest for under $100? OK, I’ll bump that to $200. :)

Last edited: May 25, 2021
  2. mr coffee

mr coffee Country Gent

Oct 7, 2009
    Houston
    Under $100? Not sure. A little more gets you a Roland Cube, those are pretty decent for what they are.

Under $100 gets you Orange Crush that sounds like bees in a jar. I bought one for my grandson to practice through, it's pretty bad. There's the Blackstar Fly, couple variations, don't know anything about it.

Step up to $200, Yamaha's got a pretty slick sounding unit although I've not seen one in person.

-m

Jelly Roll Horton likes this.
  3. MotorCentaur

MotorCentaur Synchromatic

May 11, 2016
    Seattle
    I'm pretty happy with the boss mini katana.
    The roland street cube is nice too for a bit more...

4. mr coffee

mr coffee Country Gent

Oct 7, 2009
    Houston
    Oh yeah, I forgot about the Katana, never actually seen one around. What's it like?

-m

5. Stefan87

Stefan87 Country Gent

May 20, 2019
    Brisbane, Australia
    Not sure on the price over where you are but love my THR10C, got it used for $200.00 AUD, runs on 8 x AA batteries.

6. wildeman

wildeman I Bleed Orange

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    I had one for a year or so and really liked it, had great tone. It crapped out on me though and it was out of warranty, doesn't seem to be common but it made me kinda mad.

mr coffee likes this.
  7. wabash slim

wabash slim I Bleed Orange

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Pignose! Best knob ever!
    Vox DA3 or 5 or any of their small battert amps would do.
    Used will keep the price down.

Retro and Lockupyourfatdog like this.
  8. Londoner

Londoner Gretschie

Dec 18, 2020
    UK
    I don't think the Blackstar Fly, (as good as it is), would be loud enough to jam with, but how about a Blackstar ID Core in a 10/20/40 watt variant with a Blackstar battery power pack?
    Probably nearer your $200 limit, but a great amp.

9. Jelly Roll Horton

Jelly Roll Horton Country Gent

Nov 10, 2017
    Portland, OR
    How is the Boss Katana with a Gretsch hollow body, like a 5422?

10. MotorCentaur

MotorCentaur Synchromatic

May 11, 2016
    Seattle
    It's fine. It is the best sounding mini amp I've heard. It's surprisingly loud for it's size. A drummer would probably drown it out. But for practice or travel it'll get the job done.

Jelly Roll Horton and mr coffee like this.
  11. S.R.Cash

S.R.Cash Gretschie

Aug 29, 2019
    Ontario, Canada
    I used a Fly3Mini at a jam with a loud singer, her acoustic, and a guy slappin' an upright. It did pretty good! I kept it at my feet with the speaker aimed up in the air. Though, the delay is very subtle so I ran a pedal through.

12. capnhiho

capnhiho Country Gent

Feb 16, 2013
    California
    Used Roland Micro Cube?
    I have the RX version (guitar - NOT the Bass RX) which has a built-in tuner and a versatile drum track sim. I’ve had it a looooong time, and it’s staying in my kit.

Edit: A quick search on the usual sources revealed zero guitar RX’s besides a couple in Japan with ridiculous prices. I know they were discontinued a few years ago; folks must be hanging on to them….

Last edited: May 26, 2021
  13. mr coffee

mr coffee Country Gent

Oct 7, 2009
    Houston
    Most of the drummers I've ever worked with would drown out anything smaller than a Twin or half stack...

-m

MotorCentaur likes this.
  14. Scamp

Scamp Gretschie

Feb 22, 2018
    SoCal
    Vox. They make a great 3 watt that Joe Walsh uses Their new one is a 5 watt with a drum beat on it. It neat. The drum beat has it's own volume control and speed control. Also it has over 100 different beat patterns. They actually but out good for their size Nice sound
    Vox 3W Battery-Powered Modeling Amp $149.99
    Vox Mini5 Rhythm 5-watt 1x6.5" Portable Amp with On-board Rhythm $189.99

Ctbillsfan, Retro and azrielle like this.
  15. nickurso

nickurso Gretschified

Dec 24, 2012
    New Orleans la.
    I use a Rolland street cube every week working in the street. Yes it’s definitely more money but here is something to think about. I feel from my experience that the street cube is the best battery amp I could find but that being said the low end craps out. Especially if I hit it with a little gain. Nothing to do with the speakers at all it’s the battery powered power section of the amp. So if you don’t have to use a battery power supply I would recommend even a cheap solid state amp that plugs in. Battery amps really just seem like toys to me.

mr coffee likes this.
  16. mr coffee

mr coffee Country Gent

Oct 7, 2009
    Houston
    I had a Crate Taxi years ago, it didn't sound terrible; neither was it inherently great on its own, but it took pedals alright, and didn't crap out at the bottom end. Probably a little better than the Cube I had later on, as far as that goes, although the Cube sounded better at low volumes without pedals. Of course, the Taxi is long since discontinued.

-m

nickurso likes this.
  17. nickurso

nickurso Gretschified

Dec 24, 2012
    New Orleans la.
    Zappa recorded with a pig nose too but still just toy amps. I use mine professionally and if it’s not something you have to have because you are playing somewhere without power why use it?

mr coffee likes this.
  18. mr coffee

mr coffee Country Gent

Oct 7, 2009
    Houston
    I actually gigged for a while with my Taxi, but it was a low key lunch gig playing mostly clean and not terribly loud. My bandmate had a Pignose and it's....unique. I don't hate them but don't see myself ever buying one.

-m

19. sgarnett

sgarnett Synchromatic

Apr 14, 2020
    Kentucky
    I think the Achilles heel of small amps is the small speaker. I’ve just never heard a mini speaker I like for guitar. 10” or 12” is where it’s at for me.

The last time I looked at battery-powered amps, I ended up with ... a Katana 50, which is very portable but not battery-powered. I’d still like to find a decent battery amp with a real speaker though.

20. Pine Apple Slim

Pine Apple Slim Country Gent

Dec 14, 2011
    North Alabama
    A little over budget, but I really like my little Micro Cube.
    They are around $160 now but I got mine on sale at GC for around $130 a couple of years ago. You could prob find a used one on Reverb for that or less.
    Good delay and chorus,, nice clean tones, great for small spaces and no drummer. Built in OD and Dist not the best but useable.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.