Bass VI build

Discussion in 'Other Cool Guitars' started by araT, Oct 1, 2011.

1. araT

araT Gretschified

Mar 24, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    And a few more cavities done in the body:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The hardware is rolling in now, and Peter is hard at work doing the contours, the control cavities, and the final body shaping as we speak! It's getting close now!! I can't wait to have this gorgeous thing in my fingers & start wiring it all up! :D

2. johsonrod

johsonrod Country Gent

Apr 14, 2010
    Toronto
    Right on T its looking really good!

3. araT

araT Gretschified

Mar 24, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    Thanks johsonrod! Peter's doing great, isn't he? I can't wait to be playing it! :D

Todays updates, fresh off the press:

[​IMG]
    Control cavities routed - that's all the cavities done!

[​IMG]
    Arm contour done

[​IMG]
    Arm contour from another angle

Tomorrows plan is the belly contour!

4. 68GuitarPlayer

68GuitarPlayer Country Gent

Mar 20, 2010
    Clinton, Tn
    Looking great Croc and Tara!!!

5. johsonrod

johsonrod Country Gent

Apr 14, 2010
    Toronto
    Im about to do thearm and belly countours for a jagstang, whats the best way to do it, how did Peter do it?

6. araT

araT Gretschified

Mar 24, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    I believe Peter just looked at a bunch of photos of Bass VIs that I sent him, got a feel for their depth & starting points, and roughed it.. even the bigtime fender tribute luthiers that I've spoken to on OSG say you're best doing it by feel.

That said, I know Peter checks this thread regularly & he may have more to add to this :)

7. johsonrod

johsonrod Country Gent

Apr 14, 2010
    Toronto
    Soooooo palm sander??

8. araT

araT Gretschified

Mar 24, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    Ohhh, you meant tool wise! I've no idea there, I guess a palm sander, yes.. Peter will need to confirm that..

9. ishtar

ishtar Country Gent

Lordy! I get tired just looking through the thread! The fruits of this labor will most certainly pay off!

10. johsonrod

johsonrod Country Gent

Apr 14, 2010
    Toronto
    HAHA thanks Tara. I will wait and see what he says, no rush. But hey, what inlays are you going to do the big blocks? I say gretschify it with thumbnails I did that to this jagstang, and puttin in filters too!

11. araT

araT Gretschified

Mar 24, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    Yeah, big block inlays :) partially to match my Jag, but also because big blocks are my all-time favourite inlays :D

Sorry I couldn't be more help with the contours, but I know Peter will be able to help! Your Jagstang sounds AMAZING! :D

12. Michiel

Michiel Friend of Fred

Jul 29, 2009
    The Netherlands
    Wow Croc, those are some crazy woodworking skillz! :)

Tara, that thing is going to rock.
    I like the idea of a 30" baritone ever since I saw PhilX play that Spectrasonic baritone. Got to get me one some day too! :D

13. Lizardkinged

Lizardkinged Friend of Fred

Oct 5, 2009
    Michigan
    If I was going to make contours I would use an orbiting spindle sander, or any spindle sander for that matter to get the basic shape going, then finish off by hand using a dowel with sandpaper on it, and handsanding.

14. GentleBen

GentleBen Country Gent

Jul 29, 2008
    Huntsville, Al
    Nice! Are you going to put Fender on the headstock?

I am building a Warmoth double neck Strat and considered using a baritone neck but I think I would get more use out of a 12 string.

15. araT

araT Gretschified

Mar 24, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    I know, Croc is a machine, right? :D

Thanks for the kind words Michiel! I can't wait to be playing it!

And yeah, PhilX has done a couple of nice vintage VI reviews too

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYQSnHorKZM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51nA8g_t84c

Yeah I've found some Fender VI decals & I'm going to be a bad girl :eek: I'd normally do custom art, but as I'm doing this as a big brother for my Jag I want them to be as close a match as possible..

Good luck with the twin neck build! can't wait to see it!

16. ampe

ampe Country Gent

May 11, 2011
    belgium
  17. araT

araT Gretschified

Mar 24, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    Hahaha, yeah, I'm pretty sure PhilX has more THC in his blood than actual blood at any given moment.. but he does great demos/reviews!

18. GentleBen

GentleBen Country Gent

Jul 29, 2008
    Huntsville, Al
    I have only been working on it for 6 or 7 years!

I have a Fender VI decal that I won't need if I go with a 12 string so let me know it you mess yours up and need another.

19. Crocodile in space

Crocodile in space Electromatic

Sep 4, 2011
    Great Britain
    Thankyou very much, Johsonrod - I'm delighted that you're enjoying it!
    Unfortunately I only have one rasp, so I can't tell you very much about it! It has a fairly large radius (i.e. a low, flat profile) - here are a couple of photographs, and I'm sorry that I can't be more help!

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

For the arm & ribcage contours, I used a router to go down in steps of increasing depth - if you imagine creating a pattern which looks like the steps of a pyramid, you will be in the right area - then just used an ordinary hand scraper and sandpaper to smooth them out. It would have to be today that my camera needed recharging, so I couldn't take any photographs of the actual process, just the end result! However, if you need any more help, please feel free to send me a quick PM and I will get in touch with you as soon as I can!

Aww, you are all too kind!!! :) Thankyou so much for all of your friendly posts - they keep our spirits up! I am very pleased that you are enjoying the build. It is such a pleasure to work on a fantastic, unique design like a Bass VI - I am loving every minute of it myself! :)

See you all soon,

Peter

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.