Bass VI build

Discussion in 'Other Cool Guitars' started by araT, Oct 1, 2011.

1. Crocodile in space

Crocodile in space Electromatic

Sep 4, 2011
    Great Britain
    And from another angle -

[​IMG][/IMG]

And here is a nice outdoor shot! This was taken at the end of the day's work.

[​IMG][/IMG]

The next day (yesterday), I started to sand down the edges and bring the body into its final shape. Here is one picture, showing the bottom edge of the guitar, after being hand sanded and wiped with naptha.

[​IMG][/IMG]

And that brings us up to date! I will spend a few more hours hand sanding the body this afternoon and this evening, and hopefully will be able to move onto the neck in the next few days! :)
    I owe a big "thankyou" to David Dyke, tonewood supplier extraordinaire, for doing his usual amazing job and being as patient and helpful as ever. Cheers, David!

I hope that you enjoy these photographs, and we will have more to report very soon!

2. 6stings

6stings Friend of Fred

Aug 14, 2010
    Norway
    Looks good Croc! Which pickups did you route it for?

3. Crocodile in space

Sep 4, 2011
    Great Britain
    Thankyou very much, 6strings! :)
    We are going with the AVRI Jaguar pickups - two neck p/ups for the neck & bridge positions, and a bridge p/up for the middle position, to give it the classic reverse-polarity Bass VI sound.

4. Sarah93003

Sarah93003 Friend of Fred

This is going to be so cool! Awesome job so far.

5. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    Don't know how i missed this one!

Another cool build!

6. 68GuitarPlayer

68GuitarPlayer Country Gent

Mar 20, 2010
    Clinton, Tn
    Wow! That tuning fork trick is just too cool. I can see this is a professional build all the way!!

7. ishtar

ishtar Country Gent

Whoa, that's gonna be great!

8. Crocodile in space

Sep 4, 2011
    Great Britain
    Thankyou to all of you for such kind and encouraging comments! I am delighted that you are enjoying following the build, and very pleased that a group of such experienced guitarists think that it is going well so far. :)

Ah yes, the tuning fork trick adds a whole new dimension to guitar building and makes the process a lot more satisfying for the builder, aswell as (hopefully!) for the player. All credit must go to Gil Yaron for this little technique, as he has been extremely selfless with his knowledge - practically the secrets of his trade - in his incredible build threads.
    I hope that this is going to be a professional quality build - that's what I'm aiming for, and I'm going to do my best :) - but I'm not a pro, just a very keen guitarist who enjoys building things with his hands.

See you all again soon, and thankyou for such a friendly reception!

Peter

9. ishtar

ishtar Country Gent

You might want to wait until you've heard me play and then visited the eye Dr. to get them uncrossed. If you take anything for anxiety or depression, I'd double the dose two weeks before you attend a gig I might be involved in.... And if you have a low threshold for poor acoustical reason, then I would just avoid listening to my noise all together. Just saying'....

10. araT

araT Gretschified

Mar 24, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    You're doing great Peter! so fantastic to watch my baby take shape :D

Do you want to add the latest pics, or shall I? ;)

11. Crocodile in space

Sep 4, 2011
    Great Britain
    :) It's alright Tara, I can take care of things this week, as I know you don't have much spare time over the next few days.
    DELIGHTED that you like the way that it is shaping up so far! I have been working on the neck this afternoon, and I should be able to get another hour or two with it this evening. :)

12. NeilSt

NeilSt Country Gent

Oct 26, 2010
    Lynnwood, WA
    Wow. This project is coming along quite quickly. It looks fantastic. As I guy who loves Fenders, I will be watching this one with interest. Excellent work.

13. Crocodile in space

Sep 4, 2011
    Great Britain
    Thankyou very much, NeilSt! It's very reassuring to hear a Fender fan say that they like the way it looks so far! I'm delighted that you are enjoying it.

Here is a quick update of the progress made over the last few days. Sunday was a big day - I cut out the neck profile with a bandsaw. We now have a guitar body which looks like a guitar body, and a neck which looks like a guitar neck, and it is really starting to turn into a musical instrument at last!

The neck, cut out roughly in profile -

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

Beginning to shape the neck with a rasp and hand-scrapers (one of my favourite parts of a build!!!) -

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

14. Crocodile in space

Sep 4, 2011
    Great Britain
    And the most recent photographs, hot off the press just an hour or two ago -

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

That is all for now, but I will keep you updated this week - we aim to have the neck profile finished by the end of the week. :)

See you soon!

15. Lizardkinged

Lizardkinged Friend of Fred

Oct 5, 2009
    Michigan
  16. johsonrod

johsonrod Country Gent

Apr 14, 2010
    Toronto
    Looking amazing! What kind of rasps are you using?

17. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Fantastic project Peter and Tara. Great work, Peter! Another cool build from the talented bunch at G-T.

18. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    Now that's just not true Ishtar . . . and you know it. People don't go cross-eyed from listening to you, they just go deaf. :)

Speak up sonny! Why do you young people all mumble? Get off my lawn!!!!

Looking forward to the concert Greg.

19. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    I need to weigh in on this project too. Very, very cool! Now that my VI is getting shaped up I'm really appreciating it.

for the record, and IMHO, these will do the trick as a bass with the OEM string gauges, .025" - .095". It's actually pretty stout for a short-scale bass.

20. araT

araT Gretschified

Mar 24, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    Some fresh updates from Peter! (I'm taking back over now I'm not so busy)

To start things off, the neck profile is done - it's come out a tiiiiny bit thicker than my Jag, sitting nicely around Bass VI specs (shallow 'Modern C' profile):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The fingerboard radiusing is underway (7.25"):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.