Bass rolloff cap

Discussion in 'The Pickup Place' started by Rockhead, Sep 18, 2020.

1. mister rain

mister rain Gretschie

Apr 23, 2020
    new orleans
    i’m seriously considering a bass cut knob on my de bass, to get more twang; like the strangle switch on a jag or fender vi, but as a pot.

2. Gretschmen65

Gretschmen65 Synchromatic

May 20, 2016
    QLD Australia
    It may sound silly but are you still using the original strings?

If so, change them for DÁddarios or EB. It made a big difference on my G5220.

3. Rockhead

Rockhead Electromatic

Mar 3, 2019
    Delaware county, PA
    I have a treble bleed on my master volume, works ok but I don't think it would help with the bass on the neck pup.

Thanks for your input!!

4. Rockhead

Rockhead Electromatic

Mar 3, 2019
    Delaware county, PA
    It is a possibility. I bought some 2 wire shielded cable to rewire since I will be replacing the 2 pup volumes with Bournes reverse taper 500k pots and maybe a tone pot as well. I already swapped the Maser Volume with a CTS 500k.

I'm glad too see you have done the bass rolloff and liked it. The broadtrons are darker than your T-Armond for sure so I'll have to play around with cap values. I like the switch option also.

Thanks!

Last edited: Sep 20, 2020
  5. Rockhead

Rockhead Electromatic

Mar 3, 2019
    Delaware county, PA
    No. I change strings more often than I need to. I like to experiment. Right now I have D'Addario nickel wound. No matter what type of strings I use, the bridge sounds great but the low E, A and D strings on the neck are super dark and muddy with even the slightest overdrive.

Gretschmen65 likes this.
  6. 1883

1883 Gretschie

Apr 12, 2015
    Aotearoa
    Have a look at how Yamaha's Dry Switch works. That is effectively what you want.
    https://www.premierguitar.com/articles/29420-mod-garage-inside-yamahas-dry-switch

7. Rockhead

Rockhead Electromatic

Mar 3, 2019
    Delaware county, PA
    I forgot about that. Can I just wire the R/C filter inline with the pup. I really don't want to drill a hole for a switch since it will be an always on setup. The middle position is barely usable so I'm hoping for a decent sound with both pups on.

8. 1883

1883 Gretschie

Apr 12, 2015
    Aotearoa
    Yes, you can wire it directly on to the pickup for 'always on' but not series, it is wired in parallel.

9. Gretschmen65

Gretschmen65 Synchromatic

May 20, 2016
    QLD Australia
    The more I read this thread I feel you have an issue with the pup or the wiring.

My G5220 Does not get muddy in the way you describe and the middle position is really nice particularly with the neck rolled off a tad.

I've been reflecting on how much I like these compared with the Gibson PAF type pups which certainly can get muddy.

new6659 likes this.
  10. Rockhead

Rockhead Electromatic

Mar 3, 2019
    Delaware county, PA
    I got the 2 Bourns reverse taper pots today. Part # PD181-GTR01-504C2. I didn't realize that they were mini pots. I guess it really doesn't matter. I've always associated mini's with cheap import pots. Does it make a difference?

11. Randy99CL

Randy99CL Synchromatic

Feb 17, 2020
    Albuquerque
    It was about 1967 when I decided I really needed my own record player. I was buying albums and the family Motorola (sounded good with great bass) was mono and I wanted a stereo for my bedroom. Shopped the portable units for a while before I picked one that had 4 controls: vol, balance, bass, and treble when the cheap ones had two volumes and a tone control. Sound familiar?

A few months ago I got a SDOTD on a G&L Legacy S-type and love it! Great guitar, quality build, great neck, US-made pickups sounds fantastic and it is the only guitar I know of with a bass cut knob! Looks like standard strat controls but when you look closely the two lower knobs are both marked tone and the top is treble cut while the bottom cuts the bass.
    It's a great idea, I think more guitars should be setup that way, especially those with HBs.

Their wiring diagram, should you want to consider it:
    G&L Legacy Wiring.jpg
    9 G&L Tribute Legacy Irish Ale.jpg

Last edited: Sep 23, 2020
    ramjac and new6659 like this.
  12. new6659

new6659 Country Gent

That looks interesting - could you explain what the expander mini-toggle does?

Randy99CL likes this.
  13. Randy99CL

Randy99CL Synchromatic

Feb 17, 2020
    Albuquerque
    My guitar does not have the mini-toggle, the wiring diagram is actually for a different model. But it looks like it just gives more pickup options.
    OK, G&L says "an expander switch to allow neck+bridge or all three pickups together."
    Looking at the wiring, it just turns the neck on. In the (5-way switch) bridge position it will add the neck and in B+M it will connect all three.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2020
    new6659 likes this.
  14. ramjac

ramjac Synchromatic

Aug 14, 2011
    Wisconsin
    Check out Reverend Guitars, as they offer a bass contour control on most of their models. I have my eye on the release of the Gristlemaster P90 model early next year, which I believe will offer the bass contour as an option.

Randy99CL likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.