Bass choice: Precision vs Jazz

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by GVDobler, Sep 30, 2021.

1. garagegods

garagegods Electromatic

Sep 30, 2021
    Los Angeles
    great basses but sound a little muddy and most are short scale and odd balance on a strap. P basses have the perfect strap balance

new6659 and GVDobler like this.
  2. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    Which is exactly why a J Bass with 2 x humbuckers is the best of both worlds imo :D

GVDobler likes this.
  3. Rusty Chops

Rusty Chops Electromatic

Sep 8, 2021
    Redding, CA
    50181A2E-8EBF-4000-90A4-165B8626ED16.jpeg
    I’m not primarily a bass player but have tried a few and settled on a Short scale (30”) LP Tribute, for less than a kilobuck. Nice for my old hands. Sounds great!
    217A0940-E234-49EC-99DA-50FCFD907ECA.jpeg

4. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    I bet that sounds great. It looks like a perfect combination.

GVDobler and Rusty Chops like this.
  5. new6659

new6659 Country Gent

Might that guy have been drinking?

GVDobler and Rusty Chops like this.
  6. Rusty Chops

Rusty Chops Electromatic

Sep 8, 2021
    Redding, CA

You should have seen the accordion player!

Waxhead, GVDobler and new6659 like this.
  7. Marv666

Marv666 Gretschie

Jul 26, 2020
    Germany
    I'm an upright Bass guy so if a short scale is closer i might need to replace my cheap jazz Bass with a short scale

GVDobler likes this.
  8. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    The bass player in one of my bands has a number of basses that he likes, including Jazz and P-Basses. Personally, I have always preferred the sound of a P-Bass to the Jazz but not for any reason other than preferring the sound of one over the other.

He has a Mustang bass that he loves and honestly, it sounds really good. I might need to avail myself of one.

His superstar bass is his Gretsch White Flacon bass. It is truly the best sounding bass I have ever heard and in all positions. Beautiful, rich and clear.

I only play bass when I'm recording and usually, the one I reach for is the underrated Epiphone Viola bass. The mini-buckers produce a clear bright sound and the modest weight and short-scale make it very comfortable for recording work.

If that doesn't give me the sound I want I have a P-bass with a Vineham pickup in it that sounds pretty sweet.

BuddyHollywood and GVDobler like this.
  9. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    I’d definitely recommend giving one a test play.

GVDobler and Marv666 like this.
  10. Scamp

Scamp Gretschie

Feb 22, 2018
    SoCal
    I acquired a Gretsch G2220 Electromatic Junior Jet Bass II Short-Scale Bass in Walnut stain. Not really a bass player but it was fun to play, sounded great and looked great. I liked it because it wasn't as long as a regular bass. Gave it to a friend who uses it all the time. He has a really nice Fender bass but says he found he grabs the Gretsch a lot when he's home or even just jamming with neighbors because it's not as big to carry around. He said he really didn't think he'd like it as much as he does. Also he doesn't mind letting others play it when jamming.

Groutsch and GVDobler like this.
  11. Winnie Thomas

Winnie Thomas Synchromatic

Jun 13, 2011
    Cochise AZ
    I played a 4001 for years when I was on the road. It does great at some things but is not as versatile as a Precision (NOT A P BASS, A PRECISION). I tried a Jazz (NOT A J BASS) bass butI find the narrow neck not suitable for me.

I ended up using a Precision for everything. Mine is a 2001 '57 reissue with a full 1 3/4 inch wide neck.

BuddyHollywood and GVDobler like this.
  12. Lister

Lister Gretschie

Oct 25, 2019
    Omaha
    If you're interested in short scale, don't sleep on the Squire Mini P bass-it punches, way, way above it's price point. Seriously.

I bought a black one a couple of months back thinking it could possibly replace my Yamaha 174 as the length was starting to bother my hands when I spent a lot of time playing...yeah, getting old stinks. Anyway, at that price point I figured I'd probably need to upgrade the pickups, tuners and tailpiece right out of the gate, but so far other than changing the knobs and waiting on a new pickguard, it's actually pretty decent. This thing is a blast to play and I love the 28.6" scale, but more importantly, so do my hands!!

There's a great thread over at TalkBass if you're interested to see what people are saying about the Mini and some of the mods others have done. https://www.talkbass.com/threads/the-squier-mini-precision-bass-club.1444244/

GVDobler likes this.
  13. jvin248

jvin248 Electromatic

May 16, 2017
    Near Detroit

+1 Get a P-bass for the reasons in the Scott's Bass video posted (I was going to post that same video, lol).

Here's the direction I took, I bought a used Washburn P-Bass for $40, routed it for a pair of J-pickups and control all three pickups with a Strat 5-way switch for the usual Strat combinations. A good setup and it's a fun guitar and gets some really low notes on that neck pickup.

[​IMG]

As an alternative to the Fender Player series, especially if you are just doing the at home messing around routine, is check out the Glarry Basses. Apparently all the Bass guitar forums have been buzzing with how great these are for months. Find a good guitar tech as backup for any worries and get one of these.

BuddyHollywood, GVDobler and Waxhead like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.