Bass buying advice?

Discussion in 'Other Cool Guitars' started by section2, Jul 10, 2020.

1. TW4990

TW4990 Gretschie

Aug 20, 2016
    Sydney Australia
    G2220 junior Jet is the one to do your job. Relatively inexpensive, an absolute dream to play and they don't look half bad either.
    Try one out if anyone will let you. I guarantee you will be impressed with the play-ability and tone that the little monsters generate.

GoLeafsGo, section2 and MTurner like this.
  2. Hammerhands

Hammerhands Country Gent

Aug 26, 2011
    Winnipeg
  3. gtttrrr

gtttrrr Country Gent

Dec 7, 2011
    United States
    I absolutely love this bass, my friend has one, then I bought one. Plays great right out of the box. 98118862-FE64-4A96-AA54-646909A2012E.png

Jeff67 and Randy99CL like this.
  4. JT19

JT19 Gretschie

Nov 28, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    I just recently bought an inexpensive bass for the exact same reason... and had less of a budget. I picked up an Ibanez TMB100, and it's fantastic for the money (about half what you're willing to spend). It's also available in a short-scale (TMB30), but I went with the full 34" scale:

[​IMG]

scrimmer, gtttrrr and Groutsch like this.
  5. capnhiho

capnhiho Synchromatic

Feb 16, 2013
    California
    Another really economical Short-scale option Is the Ibanez Mikro bass. Don’t let the price scare you off - it’s a real instrument. I bought one for my wife when she wanted to learn to play bass. I replaced the original strings with Rotosound ground-wounds. A number of real bass players have pronounced it as a worthwhile short scale.

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/search?Ns=r&Ntt=ibanez+mikro+basses

6. Scamp

Scamp Electromatic

Feb 22, 2018
    California
    I gave a friend a Gretsch Guitars G2220 Electromatic Junior Jet Bass II Short-Scale Bass, $299.99 at GC. He loves it. He has a Fender that he records and plays with his band with. I picked up one, in a storage locker, but I don't play bass. It looked like new. Asked him if he wanted it. He was hesitant at first but took it. Now he plays it as much if not more than his other bass. Set it up the way he wanted and new strings now. He likes the short- scale especially when practicing in small quarters. Says it's real easy to play. Great if your a guitar player and want a bass too. Plus they look great.

7. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    section2 and CaliforniaSlim like this.
  8. gtttrrr

gtttrrr Country Gent

Dec 7, 2011
    United States
    This is a great bass, at least for this guitar player :) i dig it, would buy It again all day long.

section2 likes this.
  9. CaliforniaSlim

CaliforniaSlim Gretschie

Jul 21, 2016
    I picked up a Squier Jaguar- the full scale version- last year for the same purpose. I had been without a bass guitar for too long.
    It was well within your budget and I really like it. IMG_7914.jpg

section2, new6659 and emitex like this.
  10. SAguitar

SAguitar Gretschie

Jan 17, 2020
    Oregon
    My first choice, and a bit of snobbery would be to go for a Fender. The MIMs are fine and solid instruments. A close second would be Ibanez, they make a very good sounding bass and play wonderfully.

section2 likes this.
  11. bhatta

bhatta Electromatic

Jun 29, 2020
    Bangalore
    I have played yamaha on and off for 2 years.
    4 string trbx174: for the price it is very good instrument!
    Rbx375 5string: this was quite the thang ;)
    Other than this I had a good time with Stingray series bass by Musicman. Ray4 I believe it was and very nice instrument!

I have to get a cheap bass myself for the same purpose as you @section2 and I will settle for a 4string yamaha for sure to lay down the tracks!

section2 likes this.
  12. GoLeafsGo

GoLeafsGo Synchromatic

May 1, 2014
    Ajax Ontario
    My first vote would be for the Gretsch Junior Jet, not just a great bass for the price, but a great bass period. Needs no updates, great as is.
    IMGP0013.jpg

Nothing wrong with Squier either, and they are real easy to mod/upgrade if you so desire. Real easy to "trick out" if you so desire.
    IMGP0003 (2).JPG

13. Winkels

Winkels Electromatic

Jun 23, 2018
    Canada
    I bought a used Squier Classic Vibe Jazz bass about a year ago. It's frankly as good or better than my MIM Fender Jazz in pretty much every way: tuning stability, fretboard binding, controls, etc.

Plus it only cost a little over $400 Canadian (so around $300 in Freedom Dollars). There are plenty of them out there.

section2 likes this.
  14. Freshy

Freshy Synchromatic

Sep 30, 2017
    Homosassa FLA
  15. ColoCoug

ColoCoug Electromatic

Dec 9, 2011
    Fort Collins CO
    I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the Gretsch 2220 bass. The solid body Electromatics have been a solid buy for years. The price is right and they are well made. The older single pickup 2202 solid bodies are well known to have a killer sound due to their TV Jones-designed soapbar pickup. I have 3 Gretsch basses and they are all keepers. Incidentally, buying used gives you much better value.

GoLeafsGo and section2 like this.
  16. Hammerhands

Hammerhands Country Gent

Aug 26, 2011
    Winnipeg
    bhatta likes this.
  17. Hammerhands

Hammerhands Country Gent

Aug 26, 2011
    Winnipeg
    In the Bass 9 video @ 8:22, what starts off sounding like Another Ones Bites the Dust could be Wot! by Captain Sensible, or is that something else?

Freshy likes this.
  18. GoLeafsGo

GoLeafsGo Synchromatic

May 1, 2014
    Ajax Ontario
    The Junior Jet in my post is the 2220.

19. Groutsch

Groutsch Gretschie

Jun 9, 2018
    Maryland, US
    Ooh, that's a looker!

GoLeafsGo likes this.
  20. GoLeafsGo

GoLeafsGo Synchromatic

May 1, 2014
    Ajax Ontario
    Thanks! Was a bit worried about putting more in mods than I paid for the bass, but I love how it plays and feels, and have no plans to sell it. Think it turned out pretty well, and the Duncans sound just great.

Groutsch likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.