Baritone guitar?

Ricochet

Senior Gretsch-Talker
Nov 13, 2009
Monkey Island
No experience with the Gretsch version but I love the Baritone. I got a bass a few years ago and felt totally lost. The 30” scale proved too much.

So I concocted a Bari with a Squier VM Jag and an Allparts 27” scale Bari conversion neck and it’s been perfect. All the deep tones with all the familiarity and comfort of the guitar.

Edited cause I don’t want to imply using a conversion neck is somehow a drop-in fit.
The Jag is 24” scale, I routed a new neck pocket to set the bari neck deeper into the body to improve ergonomics for me. In other words shorten the guitar.
It’s now about the same length as a Gibson Firebird which is the max length guitar I can play comfortably.

Last edited:

freddyfingers

Gretschified
I had the acoustic baritone for a while. I went close to entry level in case i didnt like it. Wrote a few songs on it as soon as i got it. But got annoyed having to tell people i was playing with not to look at my hands as i am a fifth below them. I would invest in a decent Taylor baritone if one came around. The heavier strings and cheaper make made for a difficult set up.

Scott Fraser

Country Gent
Jan 14, 2012
Los Angeles
I have a Hagstrom Viking baritone. They were being blown out fairly inexpensive at Musicians Friend some years back. It's a well made Chinese 335 style. Nice semi-hollow acoustic resonance, with a P90 + humbucking combo. It doesn't get a huge amount of use, but I've written a few things which sound great in that range. I think it's a good additional to the arsenal of instruments I have, & I'd love to add a solid body baritone as well.

dankas11

Country Gent
Jul 6, 2014
Croatia
I had 2 barirone guitars, now I have one, one got stolen. Baritone is great! gives you new perspective. I have Danelectro dead on 67 .
Reverend has a great baritone too. Danelectro (many models)gretsch, fender, hagstrom... they are all great. There is diference in scale and in tunning. I like more one with smaller scale and lighter strings. one with bigger scales are harder to play chords, they are more like bass.

loudnlousy

Gretschified
Oct 18, 2015
Germany
A friend of mine has a Squire Jaguar (?) baritone.
I don`t like the looks but it sounds so heavy.
But I realised that it`s sound "eats away" the bassist in a band context.
So it is not really something for my kind of music which relies on heavy crunch sounds.
I always try to kep away from the acoustic range of my bassist.
Maybe this is the true reason for a 40 years+ friendship.

dankas11

Country Gent
Jul 6, 2014
Croatia
A friend of mine has a Squire Jaguar (?) baritone.
I don`t like the looks but it sounds so heavy.
But I realised that it`s sound "eats away" the bassist in a band context.
So it is not really something for my kind of music which relies on heavy crunch sounds.
I always try to kep away from the acoustic range of my bassist.
Maybe this is the true reason for a 40 years+ friendship.
yes, that ia what I waa talking about. It is bigger scale, 30inch, it is tuned from A and has very fat atrings so it is very bassy. My danelectro is shorter scale, it is tuned in H and is different. Reverend baritone has very short scale and usses I think strings 11 which is very rhin foe baritone and sounds more like guitar then like bass. There are huge differences in soundcfrom baritone to baritone.

dankas11

Country Gent
Jul 6, 2014
Croatia
yes, that is what I was talking about. It is bigger scale, 30inch, it is tuned from A and has very fat strings so it is very bassy. My danelectro is shorter scale, it is tuned in H and is different. Reverend baritone has very short scale and usses I think strings 11 which is very thin for baritone and sounds more like guitar then like bass. There are huge differences in sound from baritone to baritone.

Alanqa

Gretschie
Aug 22, 2019
Cambridge uk
I have a Gretsch Baritone. It is interesting as I play it clean with reverb. It is a great blues sound, tonally distinctive and slightly weird with a peaky mid range. at some point I’ll replace the pickups with either Filtertrons or P90s.

Attachments

• 63523E80-B1F6-4A78-9359-1DAF41042672.jpeg
    63523E80-B1F6-4A78-9359-1DAF41042672.jpeg
    222.2 KB · Views: 8

gretscher09

Electromatic
Apr 18, 2009
USA
I have the black sparkle Electromatic Gretsch tuned to B. I picked up a used one recently. I was pleasantly surprised at the quality and playability. I have enjoyed playing it even unplugged. But I haven't had time yet to explore it like I want to. One thing I did right away was to install a BiggsFix tuning stabilizer so the Bigsby is easier to use.

jfassett

Synchromatic
Dec 9, 2017
Tucson
I have a Gretsch Baritone. It is interesting as I play it clean with reverb. It is a great blues sound, tonally distinctive and slightly weird with a peaky mid range. at some point I’ll replace the pickups with either Filtertrons or P90s.
Check out the Supro gold foil mini humbucker sized pickups, I bet they would be awesome in that guitar!

drmilktruck

I Bleed Orange
May 17, 2009
Plymouth, MN
yes, that ia what I waa talking about. It is bigger scale, 30inch, it is tuned from A and has very fat atrings so it is very bassy. My danelectro is shorter scale, it is tuned in H and is different. Reverend baritone has very short scale and usses I think strings 11 which is very rhin foe baritone and sounds more like guitar then like bass. There are huge differences in soundcfrom baritone to baritone.

I just found out that in some Euro countries B is called H. Very interesting. Why is that?