Bar bridge for pinned bridges?

Discussion in 'Technical Side of Things' started by Shadowy_Man, Jun 6, 2020.

1. Shadowy_Man

Shadowy_Man Gretschie

May 18, 2020
    Chicago
    For those of you with pinned bridge guitars (such as the recent version of the G5420T), what bar bridges have you had success with? And which ones work with wound G sets?

Chmason85 likes this.
  2. Chmason85

Chmason85 Gretschie

May 1, 2018
    Philadelphia
    I just put a stock Gretsch rocking bar on my 53 VS jet and have no issues with it. The wound G might be an issue, but I’m not positive. You can get the bigsby rocking bar that’s cut for a wound G for a steal. Also tru arc serpentune but they are a bit pricey and there’s the wait time.

3. mister rain

mister rain Gretschie

Apr 23, 2020
    new orleans
    the tru-arc wait time is killing me...

4. sgarnett

sgarnett Gretschie

Apr 14, 2020
    Kentucky
    Some Tru-Arcs are in stock. Depends on what you want.

ZackyDog likes this.
  5. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    "Good things happen to those who wait."

Sometimes I've had Tru-Arcs in less than a week, and a few times it took a month.

It's all about the timing, but the wait is well worth it.

20200212_114521.jpg 20191107_122833.jpg 20200314_172025.jpg 20191119_121813.jpg

ZackyDog, audept and new6659 like this.
  6. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Friend of Fred

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
    I have non-rocking TruArc for my G6122-1962, and a TruArc Serpentine, for my G5230T. The former took about 6 weeks to get in 2011, but the latter only took 2 days because Tim had it in stock.

upload_2020-6-7_3-19-41.jpeg

Shadowy_Man and G5422T like this.
  7. stiv

stiv Country Gent

Sep 12, 2014
    Florence, Italy
    Original Gretsch rocking bar bridge for me. Zero issues, better tone and no intonation problems while using the B6 (I don’t use it a lot btw).

Chmason85 likes this.
  8. ruger9

ruger9 Country Gent

Nov 1, 2008
    NJ
    I have a Hot Rod, pinned bridge. I ran a Compton for years (I still love it, BUT)... when I recently started playing more jazz... chords up the neck... the imperfect intonation really bothered me. I replaced it with a Tonepros, and I'm happier now. I still had to reverse the G string saddle to get it to intonate, but overall the chords up the neck play much more in tune now.

I should add: for "regular" chords up the neck, like major & minor full barres, and for dominant 7ths, the Compton was fine.... but as I put more "non-normal" chords into the mix, it was obviously not quite up to the job, unfortunately. And it's mostly that damned G string.

Ricochet, Shadowy_Man and audept like this.
  9. sgarnett

sgarnett Gretschie

Apr 14, 2020
    Kentucky
    I find that accurate intonation makes a huge difference as I’m trying to learn something new. If it’s something I already know, chords that are slightly off don’t matter as much. For new stuff though, intonation issues are more confusing to my ear, so to speak.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.